1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacement engine needed

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by gallykg, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Mar 31, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    gallykg

gallykg [OP] New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    O1 Tacoma 4x4
    New member... I bought a used 01 Tacoma 4x4 (160K) with ticking sound. Turns out previous owner drove 30 miles w oil light on. From previous posts, I've learned it might need replacement shims or new rod bearings. A buddy of mine is willing to put in a used or rebuilt engine when I can locate one. Searched around but not sure if some of the websites are reputable. I would appreciate some contacts to find reputable dealers. Thanks. Still considering taking apart current engine but afraid it might not have full compression.

2. Mar 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    valon5150

valon5150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    redding
    Vehicle:
    01 taco turd
    all pro lift, 33s, home made sliders, bumpers, skids
    You might want to look into Japanese imported motors. They come off the rigs with around 50k on them. I got one through a reputable shop last summer in Oregon. Haven't had a single problem. Was 2 grand. I had been looking at used ones in the US that were mostly in the 1,500-2000 range with over 100k on the motora but all of the websites had horror story reviews.

You might ask around some of the shops in your area, someone is bound to know of a place that can get them in.

Products Discussed in

To Top