1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing Bearing/Hub - need a sander for cleaning surfaces?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Spif, Jan 16, 2023.

1. Jan 17, 2023 at 5:01 PM
    winkel

winkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corydon, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica, TRD Off-Road, 6 Spd Manual
    Sliders, Tailgate Liner
    That's a good idea! An air chisel with a round punch works well as does a big brass bar.

SR-71A[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jan 18, 2023 at 2:56 PM
    Mudsock

Mudsock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 2.7 4x4
    I don’t want to sound like the safety czar, But, if you do that be sure to use a brass hammer against the ball peen hammer.
    It’s a bad idea to hit a hardened steel against another hardened steel. We’ve had many serious accidents in my industry because of hammering against a hardened steel. One guy had a metal splinter in his neck that was only 1/4” away from a main artery.

Spif[OP] and reallifedog like this.
  3. Jan 18, 2023 at 3:04 PM
    reallifedog

reallifedog wat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD OR
    Pathfinder Pathfinder ATs
    I was going to mention the same thing. I remember being a kid and my dad more than once telling me to never hit a hammer with another hammer for this reason.

4. Jan 18, 2023 at 4:28 PM
    winkel

winkel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corydon, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Spruce Mica, TRD Off-Road, 6 Spd Manual
    Sliders, Tailgate Liner
    I have the safety glasses with the built in bi-focal lenses, can't see crap up close without them. Because of that, I wear my safety glasses a lot.
    It really bugs me when I see the guys on the automotive how-to videos or TV shows, beating on anything, without wearing safety glasses.

5. Jan 19, 2023 at 8:10 AM
    JustAddMud

JustAddMud Professional Grease Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Summerville SC
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 TRD OR
    Yes
    Safety squints got ol' one eye'd Willy through many years of shade tree mechanic. Ever since he lost his left eye, he's been seeing all right. But seriously, take your health seriously. We're only given one body, take care of it and it will take care of you. I ask my students this question, "Would you rather lose your eyesight or your hearing?". 99% of the time I get the same answer, they'd rather lose their hearing. Eyesight is so important to what we do so best to take precautions to protect what you've been given. Eye's, ears, lungs and appendages.

-J

6. Jan 19, 2023 at 10:39 AM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    I wear Z87+ glasses and have side shields for them. Still a bit of a gap though. Last week I got a tiny spec of metal in my eye from the angle grinder. Ill spare all the details in case anyone has an eye thing like I do... Take it from me, not a good time! And I got lucky. Was a small piece in a very easy to reach part of the eye (didn't impact my vision). I was at the Dr within 24 hours too so the rust wasn't bad either. But yes, a very uncomfortable lesson. Don't take it for granted, always wear PPE appropriate for the job you're doing.

Products Discussed in

To Top