1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing door speaker

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomaholic, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    tacomaholic

tacomaholic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    My right side front door speaker makes no noise at all??? Thinking about replacing it..how hard is it to replace?

2. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    Pingo

Pingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 S/C TRD Offroad A/C
    I just replaced all my speakers this weekend. Simple as taking the door panel off and unscrewing the speaker and poppin the new one in... may be a connection issue somewhere else though and not the speaker....

As a matter of fact my passenger door isn't working after I just put new ones in and I think its actually the connection to my deck instead of the speaker.

3. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    I always thought you had to make a custom mount for door speakers when ever you put new ones in :confused:

4. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    keith4020

keith4020 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    keith
    tennessee
    Vehicle:
    99 taco sr5 4wd
    07 TRD sport wheels nitto terragrappler blackout headlight housings
    make sure not too break door panel plastic pop ins take your time and the door handle pops forward to release from panel did mine last week and if you go after market some modding will have to be done to the plastic mounting plate

5. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    I used this guide:

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=143

I suggest getting a door panel tool, basically a wide flathead screwdriver with a space in the middle for going around the tabs. I used a regular flathead, and broke a few tabs along the way.

Also, the speaker size is 5x7. You can fit 6x8 as well.

The main problem is the magnet on the stock speaker is small and if you throw in aftermarket speakers, the bracket or magnet will likely require trimming of the stock speaker mount. I'm still driving around with no drivers door speaker :(

6. Feb 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    Pingo

Pingo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 S/C TRD Offroad A/C
    I don't know about 2nd gens but my first gen took no modifying in the front or rear of my extra cab. OP has a first gen as well.

7. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    geoff06

geoff06 261k and counting

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '01 PreRunner Xcab lifted
    3" lift, Bilstein 5100/OME coilovers, rear AAL, Swiss camper shell, Rough Country 9000 rear shocks, 265/75/16 AT's on stock steel rims painted black, All-Pro 1.5"F/1.25"R wheel spacers, airbox elbow mod, Flowmaster Super 44, Davico post-cat, I took off my DIY angle iron bed/light bar!, bed wheel well shovel-mount, blacked out grill emblem, Poineer DEH-P3900 head unit, Alpine Type R front component speakers, Pioneer Coaxial rears, Dynamat in door panels, scratchbuilt aluminum holders for my ipod nano and phone, and for some reason, I painted the headlight fillers black...
    those panel pop-in mounts are thankfully a pretty common item at auto parts stores. i had to replace some of mine when i did some front speaker/tweeter work

Products Discussed in

To Top