1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

replacing engine and tranny in a 96

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by darcytribe, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Feb 18, 2018 at 12:40 PM
    darcytribe

darcytribe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi All,

Looking for some experienced advice... I am the second owner of a cherry 96' Taco extra-cab 4x4 with the 3.4 and auto. The truck has well over 300,000 miles on it and I am considering replacing the engine and tranny with a low mileage donor taco (which are rare in my neck of the woods) OR with JDM donors from Japan which seem to be readily available online.

I have no idea what considerations there are related to using a JDM motor and tranny. Also, I'm wondering if these are really as advertised (50,000 mile engines). Are there reputable sellers of these that anyone could recommend. Also, I wondered if any of the companies that sell these are experienced, reputable installers as well.

If I found a rare low mile donor taco locally do I need to match the year or is it a year range. Do 4-runner engines and trannys swap strait-up or are modifications needed.

If anyone new of a reputable shop in southwest Missouri that could do these swaps I would be interested in their name.

Thanks for the help and advice!

2. Feb 18, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    I bought another '98 that has 442,000 miles on it - no problems whatsoever. My daily driver '98 only has 92,000 miles on it.

I would keep driving it until something goes out - no need to spend money on something that doesn't need immediate attention.

3. Feb 18, 2018 at 12:55 PM
    TacomaJunkie8691

TacomaJunkie8691 1999WineTacoma

Member:
    WA State
    Vehicle:
    1999 Wine Tacoma SR5 Exta-Cab 4wd V6
    Completely Stock except for Ranch 5000 Shocks and Struts.
    Dear Darcytribe,

Sorry to hear you are having to replace both the engine and tranny on your 1996 Tacoma. Was the truck badly abused? Is this why both the engine and transmission are in need of replacement?

The reason why there are Japanese engines available with only 50,000 miles on them is because the Japanese government mandates that all internal combustion engines used in automobiles have to be replaced at 50,000 miles. This is why these engines are available for purchase. If you find one reasonably priced, this would be a good solution to replacing your engine.

The transmission is a little more complicated because the Japanese mandate does not apply to transmissions, which means you have to find one used or rebuilt.

Good Luck,
    Paul

4. Feb 18, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did a write up putting a JDM engine in a 2003 4 door Tacoma... If I knew how to link it to you I would so sorry, you are going to have to search for it in this forum.

I will second the advice on the transmission. Toyota seems to change connectors and internals every few years... there could be an issue with the PCM not "knowing" about the newer transmission.

5. Feb 18, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    MikeWH

MikeWH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colfax, CA
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD 4x4 (x2)
    If compression is still strong, why replace?
    If you are taking a more preventive approach- do the head gasket and check heads for cracks/warpage. Also service/replace the injectors and adjust valves.
    There are a few 3.4’s with over 500K miles on here, but they have all replaced heads/head gasket.

6. Feb 18, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    Jackstraw13

Jackstraw13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Doublecab 4X4 TRD
    Well said

7. Feb 20, 2018 at 7:17 AM
    95GLH

95GLH 4WD Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma SR5 4x4, the bottom bitch. 2018 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB OR, wife's truck.
    95 - Rust 2018 - '19 Pro grille, Westin HDX drop steps, Spidertrax 1.5" spacers
    In some other of my cars, there comes a point when it's easier to swap a known good engine/trans in than throw cash at one that's decided its had enough. Now that I'm older my labor comes into play as well, because I'm not going to waste time on something that can be replaced and requires less troubleshooting. I had a Honda with 275k on the stock D16Z6 when it spun about every bearing it had in it (sarcasm). I swapped in a JDM ZC, the exact replacement but JDM with 44k on it. That was the easier and more cost effective solution than pulling the head, replacing gaskets/seals, etc. Took less time, too.

I haven't looked into my Tacoma but I imagine it's easier to go the same route then find a USDM engine readily available (I could be wrong)

8. Feb 22, 2018 at 7:05 PM
    darcytribe

darcytribe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks all for sharing your experiences and suggestions. I have a mechanic checking out my engine next week. Having some lights come up on the dash and doesn't want to stay running. Going to have him check compression and see what it looks like. I'm thinking it would be nice to replace the drive train and feel confident to take this truck on long road trips without having to wonder if this will be the trip she dies hundreds of miles from home. Anyway we'll see what the mechanic comes up with. Thanks again!

Products Discussed in

To Top