1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing Hella 500's with... ?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Caduceus, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Like the title says. I dropped my Hella 500's cuz I wasn't at all impressed - basically the same as my high beams.

So, what else is out there worth doing? Ideally I'd like the LED bar, but that's crazy money right now. HID's are an outside potential, but most of my driving I'd be on/offing them a lot, so I don't think they're ideal. Which leaves Halogens, again.

Will there be a big difference between the 55W of the Hella's, and the 85 or 100W lights that others produce? I know that most of the auto shops around here carry off-brand 100W "off road" lights, usually $50 for 2. For the price I'm wondering if they'll add more light, or just blend in too? Is it worth the extra money to drop on 100W name-brand lights?

Ideal use: lighting up to about 150 yards, semi-suburban (lots of woods along the freeways, and yes, deer). I already have Sylvania Silverstars in my headlights, and am suprisingly happy with them - they easily illuminate 50 or so yards. I'd like the aux. lights to reach about 150 yards out and maybe 20 yards on either side at that distance. Think of it like I'm trying to double the range and pattern of the stock headlights. Ideas?

2. Oct 9, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    bfogelma

bfogelma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
  3. Oct 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Nah, don't want the HID conversion. Like I said, they'd be much too off/on to be good with HID's.

I though it was ill-advised to go up on bulb wattage w/o improving the wiring?

4. Oct 9, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Definitely ill-advised to go up in bulb wattage w/o upgrading the wiring, and replace the fuses with the appropriate limits also... Also subbed for future light purchases. :)

5. Oct 9, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    bfogelma

bfogelma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    eh i've done it before without problems, the gauge wire is sufficient as long as yes you do upgrade fuses and whatnot... but i guess if 55w isnt enough in the hella housing 100w wont be much better anyways

Products Discussed in

To Top