1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing my own air conditioning compressor, and now the rest of the system...help?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by billygoat, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2014 at 1:18 PM
    adet16v

adet16v Member

Member:
    OME/Toytec Lift K&N Filter
    I got it working properly and bench tested all settings and I am good to go! Thanks for all your help! Re-assembling (again!)

2. Feb 26, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good Job!:yay: Now when the dust settles come back and post what you found so others can learn.

P.S. Questions about A/C problems will increase as spring nears and the Tacoma continues to age with its POS GM Delphi A/C compressor that likes to grenade.

I'm think about posting some info about inexpensive in-line filters and micro-screens that will reduce the chances of complete system contamination once the compressor grenades. I did them on mine because I will die before I go into that retarded HVAC box ever again. Someone remind me if I forget.

3. Feb 26, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    adet16v

adet16v Member

Member:
    OME/Toytec Lift K&N Filter
    The trick to getting the mode control set up right is to dissasemble to apoint where you can remove the servo motor and the cam that all the pins ride in.

Keep the power supply to the entire HVAC unit and turn the air speed to level 3 or 4. At this point begin to play with each of the three cams to see what direction they operate. Once you understand how each one operates pick a setting at the end of the servo motor travel (also end of cam travel in all 3 slots). This would either be the pure defrost setting or the blowing in your face setting. I used the blowing in your face setting so I made sure the defroster and the foot baffles were completely closed and then slid the cam over the 3 pins, installed the 3 screws, turned the mode selector dial to the correct location and slid the servo motor back on, installed the 3 screws and viola!

Aside - also keep in mind there is a TSB for the foam coming unglued and restricting baffle travel or air flow. In this case you will need to remove the entire dash to gain access to the bafffels.

4. Jun 17, 2015 at 5:39 PM
    TanaTaco

TanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    OME complete kit with dakars, LR UCAs, Seat covers, weathertechs, anytime foglight mod, ABS kill switch, locker anytime mod, powered sub, halos, leer topper, aux/ipod hookup.
    So I had to take my AC compressor out to pull my steering rack. Now what needs to be done with the compressor? I understand it needs to be recharged and all, but am I able to drive the truck until then? Can I just pull a fuse or something?

5. Jun 17, 2015 at 6:47 PM
    tweeek

tweeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Access Cab TRD OR
    You will need to replace the expansion vale and dryer before recharging the AC. On my OEM condesor, the dryer was built in and nonservicable if I recall correctly. I ended up having to replace the whole condesor/dryer unit. The new aftermarket condensor has a replacable dryer in it.

But as far as your question, yes, you can pull the AC fuse in the mean time and drive the truck without any issues until the above are complete. Obviously, your AC will be inoperable, as well as the lack of dry air for defrost.

I sourced all the necessary parts from Rockauto and have had zero issues since replacing a couple years ago.

6. Jun 19, 2019 at 1:11 AM
    DimeGirlTX

DimeGirlTX Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marie
    Spring Tx 77373
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma Extended cab 2.4, RWD
    Trying to keep it in shape and running nicely.
    You can buy a vacuum pump online for under 100 dollars and a manifold gauge and you will always be able to add compressor oil and freon to your truck with no worries.

7. Aug 25, 2020 at 8:48 AM
    FrenchRiver

FrenchRiver Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma 4x4
    stock
    I am not enthusiastic about removing the evaporator. If removing the lines and checking that there are no metal bits at the evaporator it would be a go for me. Metals bits, windows down. I am in awe of those who would remove the dash. I had a price of 1600 to replace the ac compressor and condenser.

8. Aug 25, 2020 at 9:16 AM
    billygoat

billygoat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    You don’t live in the desert apparently! No AC out here is like no heat in Svalbard. It hits 40C regularly in the summer.

9. Mar 6, 2023 at 5:29 AM
    eherlihy

eherlihy 2009 Access Cab TRD Off Road

Member:
    Florida or Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Offroad Access Cab in Silver Streak Mica
    I BELIEVE that there is a typo in the manual on page AC-74, which is leading to all the confusion in this thread. The passage on capacity should read;
    "Oil capacity inside a new compressor and magnetic clutch: 150 ± 15 cc (5.1 ± 0.51 fl oz) [variation of 10%]."​
    Put another way; the compressor should be filled with between 4.59 and 5.61 fluid ounces of PAG 60.

I tried to rotate the compressor for four revolutions ( to "balance" the compressor) BEFORE I INSTALLED IT. The PAG oil from the factory that was in the compressor along with the shipping cap exploded all over my garage. Learn from my mistake and balance the compressor AFTER it is mounted on the engine, and after you have connected the refrigerant lines.

Afterwards I realized that "Balancing" the compressor is required to ensure that the oil is not hydrolocking any of the chambers inside the pump. Like all liquids, PAG oil does NOT compress. Balancing ensures that there is some gas (air, refrigerant) in the chamber along with the oil.

Regarding the unobtainable PAG 60, I plan to mix 4 ounces of PAG 46 with 2 ounces of PAG 100, add ¼ ounce of dye, and not use all of it.

Products Discussed in

To Top