1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing Suspension

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacomaCntryBoy, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 3:19 AM
    TacomaCntryBoy

TacomaCntryBoy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    96 4x4 DL
    I bought a used 96 Tacoma extra cab about 7 years ago that, to me, looked like someone used for their roofing business and overloaded the stock suspension. Ive replaced the front struts/rear shocks and now Im finally redoing the springs and all. I dont usually do alot of off-roading since my boys were born and will be trying to buy a new Tacoma within the next 36 months. Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should buy the rear shackles or just go ahead and mount the leafs to the original mounts? Looking to improve my ride and still have the ability to go off-road without breaking the bank. Also, anyone have an opinion on the full thread coilovers versus the oem coilovers and struts? Thanks in advance for the imput.

2. Jul 22, 2010 at 3:24 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Tacoma offroad armor fabricating beast Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Eastern side of the Sierras: Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4> 03 SR5 4x4 total> 14 Crewmax TRD
    Had tons on the old Taco's.... new Tundra is pretty stock
    If the leafs are worn, consider a new leaf pack such as the OME Dakar's. They're a quality pack with good ride and load carrying ability. The rear shackles wont do much for you, just make sure you have new bushings with the leaf packs.

As for the front, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want ride height adjustability and much increased on/off road handling and bump absorbtion, go with some quality adjustable coilovers such as SAW, Icon, Fox, etc. If you want better than stock, but not breaking the bank and dont care about the ride height adjustability, consider OME front shocks+springs, or some Bilstein 5100's.

3. Jul 22, 2010 at 3:50 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are you planning on keeping this truck after you buy a new one?

Or do you plan on selling it?

If you're gonna sell this truck - I would look for a used set of springs. Shop around online (craigslist, ebay, etc), search or post on the forums (see if anyone has a set laying around they want to get rid of ), and lastly...search your local junkyards. Throw on a set of used springs just to get it back to somewhat decent shape so you can sell it.

If you plan on keeping it...then definately buy yourself some new leaf springs.

To Top