1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Resale value and the possibilities

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Scottlake, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Apr 23, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    Scottlake

Scottlake [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCORLB
    So, I find the resale value of these trucks fascinating. After years of driving around a crap car, I bought a new Barcelona DCSB 2015 TRD off-road on a whim. Re-discovered my love for the outdoors and the rest is history.

I'm not much into modifying vehicles so they stay stock for the most part. I work in the auto business and never really want to own a modern vehicle out of warranty. So after 8 months of ownership of the 15, 18,000 miles and the new third gen, I explored trading. It was time for tires, needed a winsheild and had some off road dings, dents, and scrapes. I owed 28k on the 15 and got 31,500 for it trade in. Bought a new"16 Barcelona DCLB off road. Owned the 16 for 16 months, 20,000 miles. It was due for tires, windshield, and had the dents, dings, and scrapes. Traded it off for 32500.00. Bought a 17" white DCLB off-road (with JBL). for 2200.00 off sticker.

On these trucks, I pay minimal down, finance for 84 months(as long as the current rate is good, anything 3% ish, is like almost free money), and then just usually add $100.00 to my monthly payments. I have always been in an equitable situation when trading. So, i think this is crazy that I get new tires, a windshield, and, a new truck with it for just extending some debt out and basically making a rent payment.

I know someday I'll have to pay the truck off, but the residual value is out of this world. I really hope that bubble never bursts.

The hammer likes this.
  2. Apr 23, 2017 at 9:05 AM
    CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Toyotas are good for this. I remember years ago I traded a scion Tc and got more on it for trade than I paid for it. Thought it was a fluke

The hammer likes this.
  3. Apr 23, 2017 at 9:41 AM
    The hammer

The hammer Who’s the Wrench?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma SR5 4X4 DCLB TSS Pkg 17X8" BSW-Cooper DIscoverer AT3 4s P265/65/17
    Underworld Flex trifold, tinted, TRDPRO grill, TRDPRO shift knob, etc,etc

WoW! Good for you man, I hope you keep it going, so far you're wining!
    But you're very rough on tires and windshields, I'd check the tire pressures if I were you and run them a few lbs below the max tire rating stated on the sidewall of the said tires, and rotate them every 5k, but to each their own.
    As for the windshield, I'd hold my distance (or pass) big trucks and slowdown on gravel roads. But after doing all that, luck is still you're best friend on windshields at least.

I on the other hand have 20k miles and all four look and ride like new, my windshield so far has the one ding I got from a guy grass-weeding on a highway medium. And I've got too much on it to get all my money back or make me whole.
    However I do like my truck and have no good reason to trade it in yet, fingers crossed hoping transmission holds together since I've never have/had the atf checked lol! And it better NOT break on me or I'll have an excuse to do so! (Hehe!)

But on the plus side, I have some equity having paid for mine outright and drove it otd note free, and I feel good!

Good luck and keep the winning streak going!
    Cheers!

Products Discussed in

To Top