1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Retrax Cover Leaking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by prhugh, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Dec 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    prhugh

prhugh [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma Limited
    Hello all,

I recently installed a Retrax cover on my 2010 Tacoma. It looks and fits good but I noticed on yesterday after driving in the rain for about 45 minutes that I had water in the bed. It is not excessive but I can see that it enters at the rear on the sides near the tailgate. I see trails that run down from the top. I have the tailgate gasket installed as well.
    I have heard of some people experiencing great dryness inside.
    I want to know if there are others who have experienced this with Retrax or any other cover and what can be done to make it better.

Any help would be great!

2. Mar 17, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    warrenw

warrenw Warren

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Edmonton AB, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD Off road
    Any resolution to the leaking problem?
    I am seriously looking at a retrax cover. A little water, doesn't matter to me as much as the security of the product.
    Do you still have the ability to use your rails with the retrax? (that is is important as well. I really like the tie downs and use them all the time.

3. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    prhugh

prhugh [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma Limited
    You are right about the importance of the security and the Retrax is good for that. I also installed a tailgate lock and the two work great. I also reduced water inside after I realized that the problem was not the cover but the way that the bed is made with the tailgate lower than the sides. If it was even all around there would be a better seal. What helped me was using weatherstrip at the top of the gate to get a better seal. That coupled with the tailgate weather strip that comes with the Retrax reduces the vacuum that brings the water in.

4. Mar 23, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    Tom Cecc

Tom Cecc Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD
    Are you still able to use the inside bed rails or does the Retrax hardware cover them? Also, how fragile is the cover's finish? The website says to wash any dirt off cause it can scratch or haze the finish. I am worried that the upkeep will be too much.

5. Mar 24, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    prhugh

prhugh [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma Limited
    With the Retrax cover on, you will not be able to use the rails. I have not had a problem with the upkeep. I have been using a California duster for years on all of my vehicles and that works great for dust on the cover. There hasn't been any extra effort on the cover at all.

6. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    Tom Cecc

Tom Cecc Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD
    Thanks. I kind of hate to lose the rails though I like the look. I am debating on the Retrax or the Extang Solid Fold.

I called Retrax yesterday and they said any scratches can be compounded out. Does that seem correct to you?

7. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Is the underside of the cover lined with felt or any soft material? That can help protect the finish when it is rolled up. Would be a bit of a pain but should help.

I have a RollBak and I like it. Purchased mostly for the security with locking gate. Some slight water intrusion with heavy rain or wash. The tailgate is a main point but there are a couple other small areas. It is still new, so I am going after them as I see them. I need to get in the bed with a light, close the cover and have a helper spray it down. Just make sure you do not let them have the keys to the tailgate! Oh wait, my release cable is on the inside... :)

8. Mar 25, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    tisher49

tisher49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh
    in terms of the finish mine was doing fine but i just wanted a new look so i bed lined the rails...

you can see the difference here
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the plastic is pretty strong, although mine has 2 holes from when i was trying to get ice off it by smashing it with a shovel lol...

leaks a little but nothing bad...definitely the best versatility you can get out of a cover imo.

9. Mar 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    prhugh

prhugh [OP] Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma Limited

I think that compound would probably work for light scratches. When I received my cover I had a very small mark that was scratched to the metal from shipping. Not enough to go through the trouble of returning it. I found that Black appliance touch up worked great. Matched up perfectly.

10. Feb 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM
    baurat88

baurat88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport JBL NAV
    TRD skid, BAMF light bar, 20in double row LED bar
    Retrax is my first choice so far for my 2014 dclb. I have a few concerns that maybe a few owners could help me with.

1. How durable is the glossy finish, looks like it would scratch fairly easily during a wash.

2. Do you have to clear everything off the cover before rolling it back? I'm wondering lets say leaves or pebbles, or what not falls on the cover and you roll it back, will it fall into the canister and cause any type of malfunction? How would you clear out debris that happens to get in there.

for $1187, i just want it to last a long time.

Products Discussed in

To Top