1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Retro Handhelds

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Kwikvette, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Nov 10, 2023 at 8:06 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette [OP] Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Fresno County
    Stock
    Funny you mentioned that about the tabbed batteries and Zelda, I wanted to play a few days ago only to realize my damn battery is dead.

Tacospike[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Nov 10, 2023 at 8:08 AM
    SH10151

SH10151 Farang

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR AC UP 4x4
    The newer backlit one with the better screen.

3. Nov 10, 2023 at 8:09 AM
    Tacospike

Tacospike Semi-Unknown Custodial Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    Total bummer.

I played a few hours on one of my games last month, put it down for the night. Came back the next day just to realize I had a bad battery. :annoyed:

4. Nov 10, 2023 at 8:13 AM
    drizzoh

drizzoh itsjdmy0

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Love seeing modded Nintendo's. I did these 2 in the last few months and they came out pretty awesome. These were my projects before getting the Supra but I haven't touched them since lol. Have had both of them since they were new. Have plexiglass stands for them but don't have a pic of them together. Have mod pics tho!

GBA + Mods: backlit high res screen | black buttons | green speaker | usb-c battery | MatthewMods holo lables

[​IMG] [​IMG]

GBC + Mods: royal blue shell | backlit display | LabFifteen buttons | blue speaker | MatthewMods holo lables | (waiting on the FroggoCustoms ice blue led upgrade to be back in stock to replace the red power light)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Kwikvette[OP] and Tacospike like this.
  5. Nov 10, 2023 at 8:17 AM
    Tacospike

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Two Trucks
    Thats awesome!

I've heard some mixed reviews about buttons / pads, did you re-use the same OEM pads? Or just how the aftermarket ones feel in general?

drizzoh[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Nov 10, 2023 at 8:23 AM
    drizzoh

drizzoh itsjdmy0

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Swapped in new pads as well in whatever color complimented each build. I think Funnyplaying for all of them except the buttons on the GBC, but went with clear on the GBA and clear black on the GBC to bring out the colors from the labfifteen buttons. They feel great, can't really tell a difference except these aren't worn down from years of usage. Also added silicone start/select buttons to both.

7. Nov 10, 2023 at 8:37 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    I think I gave away my OG Gameboy at some point, but I definitely still have my Purple (Grape?) Game Boy Color with a handful of games. If I was home, I'd go snap a picture of it all. Haven't played it in a few years, but definitely went back to the original Pokemon Red a few times, and tons of time playing Tetris! My wife actually bought me a Switch Lite last Christmas. My first handheld since the GBC.

drizzoh and Tacospike like this.
  8. Nov 10, 2023 at 8:43 AM
    Tacospike

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Two Trucks
    I've actually been thinking of getting a switch. I actually picked up a few switch games just out and about looking for other stuff. They were marked with good prices so scooped them up.

Also been seeing stuff for a new switch coming in 2024 that would have backwards compatibility so not sure if I should wait?

9. Nov 10, 2023 at 8:50 AM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Fresno County
    Stock
    I've had a Switch since it came out; funny story I didn't pull it out its original box until some years later.

Super fun with the wife or when we have company over and we play some Mario Kart or Mario Party.

Occasionally I've jumped on and played their games as they have an emulator for NES, Gameboy (or Advance I think), Genesis, SNES, and even N64.

Got myself a hard to find licensed N64 controller for the switch too and it's kept me from going back to my PC for emulation.

20231110_085120.jpg

20231110_085131.jpg

Tacospike and YF_Ryan like this.
  10. Nov 10, 2023 at 8:51 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    I'm always WAY behind on video game systems. Got a 360 from a friend when he went to Xbox One. Again got his Xbox One when he upgraded to the Xbox One X or whatever it was called. The Switch Lite was plenty good for me. She bought it so I could take it camping, for those crappy days stuck inside the camper while she is reading a book or crocheting. If you like to be more on the cutting edge, yeah, you could wait. But really, the Lite is relatively cheap, all things considered. For me, I've been outta the game long enough, that the graphics on it are nuts.

11. Nov 10, 2023 at 9:01 AM
    Tacospike

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Two Trucks
    for sure, I'm always behind as well. I think my Wii is my most recent console. Also just found out earlier this year that I can play gamecube games on my Wii (I know, dummy), so that opened a new catalog for me to play. I had skipped that console growing up.

I'm not against the switch light, I think it's great. I think most times I'd like to be able to play on the TV as well which is why I would go with the regular one or OLED if I found a decent deal on one.

12. Nov 10, 2023 at 9:06 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    For sure, having the ability to play on the TV would be nice, but just don't need it for me. My wife isn't a gamer and no kids, so it works out good. She can watch a baking show or something and I can still be there but do something else haha.

13. Nov 10, 2023 at 9:11 AM
    Tacospike

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Two Trucks
    damn dude, you wife sounds like mine. Books and baking shows :rofl: and we also have no kids (yet)

She will play some Mario party games with me though.

14. Nov 10, 2023 at 10:17 AM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    We used to play some Death Squared once in awhile, and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. Oh yeah, and Overcooked! Overcooked was a fun one for the two of us. My wife has trouble with 3D games, like FPS games where you have to look/aim and walk/move, so none of those.

I will admit, I enjoy The Great British Baking Show. Noel Fielding is pretty awesome.

15. Nov 10, 2023 at 5:43 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    Forgot I actually had this many games, still. Pokemon Red is in the Gameboy.

IMG_20231110_173927000~2.jpg

Tacospike and Kwikvette[OP] like this.
  16. Nov 10, 2023 at 6:17 PM
    NotATacoFC2

NotATacoFC2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '24 Civic FL2; '23 CX-5 KF
    Oh no... I found another niche in TW. This place is a bad influence on my finances. The last time I was influenced by the internet on a "retro" console, I ended up buying a PS Vita.

Nowadays, I just play on my XSX. But from time to time, I do play GBA games on a white DS Lite I bought for cheap years ago. Though I still have my old silver AGS-001 GBA SP. But after seeing @drizzoh's modded GBA, I'm tempted to let go my old SP.

Since I only played racing games, I never played any first-party titles from Nintendo (with the exception of Mario Kart DS). I definitely missed out on a lot of great games.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    Tacospike, Kwikvette[OP] and drizzoh like this.
  17. Nov 10, 2023 at 6:50 PM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Fresno County
    Stock
    Man...I remember beating Metroid II so many times under the 2 hour mark.

Get to see Samus in her bathing suit :laughing:

Tacospike likes this.
  18. Nov 10, 2023 at 7:07 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Gnar doggy

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    I don't have any of my old game stuff. But I do have vivid memories of a looong drive to CA for a family reunion when I was probably 10 years old. Crammed in the back playing Madden NFL the whole way down there. Hail Mary's on every single play lol

Tacospike and Kwikvette[OP] like this.
  19. Nov 11, 2023 at 7:16 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    I traded someone Killer Instinct for it. I definitely got the better end of the deal. Never beat Metroid. I should prolly pick it up and try again. Think it got too hard for me back in the day and I gave up, lol.

20. Nov 11, 2023 at 7:25 PM
    Kwikvette

Member:
    Fresno County
    Stock
    So...funny story.

I mastered that game as a kid, and when I say mastered I mean really.

My sister was I think 2 years old, had gotten my Gameboy one time from my room.

Mom was in the bathroom running the tub to give her a bath only for her to run in (I was chasing her) and throw it in the tub.

I was sooooo pissed. It dried enough the next day or two to where I could use it but about 1/4th the top of the screen was completely dead.

You learn to get really good at Tetris not seeing the piece come down right away or your health bar playing Mortal Kombat or Samurai Shodown.

Metroid was especially hard when you're jumping up over map areas using your screw attack :rofl:

Yeah, it sucked but I got so good at it with that damn handicap.

Tacospike likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top