1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Retrofit: DS2 Projectors with BHLM headlights. No harness/bulb

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by KJaikaran, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    SOLD

SALE PENDING FOR SATURDAY 03/30/2013 LOCALLY I will give an update if it doesn't go through.

Install these about a month ago, but I was very indecisive on the looks of it with the fully blacked out headlight on a silver truck. Don't get me wrong, it looked good, but just a little too much for my taste.I ended up sticking with my 2011 headlights that came from factory with the gunmetal look instead of the chrome.

Run down on Retro:

1: DS2 projectors from "The Retrofit Source" during group buy with Gatling gun shroud. they are in perfect condition. Just the nuts for tightening them down are kind of beat up from actually tightening them down. I don't know how i could have prevented that with the way they have to be tightened with the clearance you have and actually getting them down tight so they didn't move.

2: I am keeping the ballast, and bulbs for a different project. I was keeping the harness, but i am now including it.

3: My order did not include the little metal washer for retaining the bulb for one side. Its used to put pressure on the bulb when installing the lock nut so the bulb doesn't move. So i made my own which i will include.

4: Headlights are DEPO lights i purchased off Amazon already with black housing. I took out the housing and painted the reflector while it was still in the headlight assembly. The alignment of the reflector bowl was not touched.

5: The headlights are opened as of now i will re seal them before shipping. If you want them as is without me re sealing them they will need to be re sealed before install. I will include the extra 3M seal i have that was left over. It should be more than enough. I purchased it separately from amazon. I was going to reuse the projectors in the 2011 factory gunmetal headlights, but decided to go with the fx-r projector.

6: headlight have NO broken tabs.

I am asking $205. I don't mind shipping on you dime. If you want to know how much shipping will be you can either go onto USPS, UPS, or FEDEX website and type in my state and zip "Ocoee, FL, 34761" and get a shipping quote. For the box i don't have one yet to fit them so you would have to estimate it with a big box. I will confirm on shipping price before payment.

This is how they looked before i pulled them apart.
    [​IMG]

UPDATE: If anyone is worried about re sealing them i will re seal it before shipping and run a bead of silicone like i did when i finished it. $200 obo you cover shipping.
    If you already have a Bi Xenon HID kit on your truck all your would need is to purchase the DS2 bulb and the adapter that will plug into the DS2 bulb on one end and your ballast on the other end. Its pictured below post #8 last pic. I will also be including the harness that the kit was included with.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    GLWS. Also to anyone wanting to ship. It'll be cheaper to ship via 2 boxes instead of one big one!!

3. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    thanks.

4. Mar 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    Superdavert

Superdavert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Athens, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport DC SB
    MB Legacy wheels 285/70 17 BFG KO2s ProComp 2" leveling kit, Foglight anytime mod, Sockmonkey TRD Sport bedside decals, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, Toyota bed extender, Aries black nerf bars, Pop & Lock
  5. Mar 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    g.hampton

g.hampton PUT THE WORK IN

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner off road
    Debadged Tailgate, LED dome, removed front mud flaps, Blacked out tacoma badges and front emblem, secondary air filter removed, Tailgate theft prevention mod, BHLM, Pro-comp 7005 wheels wrapped in 255/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, Ottonavi in-dash navigation/stereo, .44 Mag shifter knob
    Will these work with any HID headlights and ballasts or would I need to buy specific ones?

6. Mar 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    You would need to buy D2S bulbs which the morimoto 35s are like $40 I think, but you can reuse the ballasts you have (though I don't recommend it) with a conversion harness from The Retrofit Source)

7. Mar 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    regular bulbs will not fit.

These are the bulbs and ballast you would need.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=1250

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=160

Kit: You would just pick the color temp you want and the 9003 harness.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=242

Do you currently have Bi Xenon HID's on your truck ? If you do you can go this route matched with the DS2 Bulbs.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...products_id=97

If you currently have HID's Your ballast needs to be 35 watts to match with the 35 watt bulb. If you currently have the bi xenon hid's on the truck and have the harness installed that came with it the only thing else you would have to connect is the wires for the high beam. The positive and negative wire coming off the projector will just connect to the positive and negative connector on the harness for the high beam. If you have the bi xenon kit already that connection for the high beam would usually plug into the bulb, but with the projector it will plug directly into it.

Regular ebay ballast are nothing compared to the ballast they offer on retrofit source. Nothing wrong with using them, but most of the time ebay ballast are not a true 35 watts. Usually under, that's why you see the lights flicker a lot of the time.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Mar 26, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    Seems like the links are not working when i click them.

Bulb: D2S: MORIMOTO 3FIVE (35W)
    [​IMG]

Ballast: MORIMOTO 3FIVE BALLASTS (D2S)
    [​IMG]

Kit: D2S: MORIMOTO ELITE HID SYSTEM Comes with harness, ballast, bulbs. You would need the 9003 harness and you pick color temp.
    [​IMG]

Adapters: You would use this if you already have a Bi Xenon HID kit on the truck. This adapter would allow you to plug the DS2 bulb (you have to purchase this bulb, it will not be a part of your current HID system) into your current ballast.
    [​IMG]

Hope i got all the info covered.

9. Mar 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    man i want these for my truck they wopuld be perfect. basically all that needs to be done for these is reseal them and order new bulbs?

10. Mar 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    yah, thats it. Im including the re seal also. I ordered it off Amazon and it practically has enough for three sets of headlights.

11. Mar 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    $200 OBO no low balling. I will include the harness, but you will still need the bulb, and ballast. Or if you already have the ballast you will need the adapter and bulb.

12. Mar 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    xyourlocaldjx

xyourlocaldjx Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've got lift up front. Will I still be able to adjust the aim?

13. Mar 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    JustinL

JustinL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Berlin, CT
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD OffRoad DCSB Pyrite Mica
    2012 Conversion
    These should go in no time. Nice price!

14. Mar 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    Sale pending for Saturday locally.

15. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    SteelCityAirman7

SteelCityAirman7 Decal Commander

Member:
    First Name:
    B
    OH-IO!
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4x4 TRD
    OEM Roof Rack, pelfreybilt Bed Bar, satoshi grille, tinted headlights and taillights, LED Parking and Reverse, 6000k HIDs, 32" LED Lightbar behind bottom bumper grille(www.okledlightbars.com), TACOMA bed mat, 20% windows tinted all around, plasti dipped front valence/lip, flowmaster dual exhaust, Bedlined Sliders w/ Kickout from AnB Fab
    Pm me if it falls thru

16. Mar 27, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
  17. Apr 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    so did they sell?

18. Apr 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    GreyGhost

GreyGhost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eli
    Placentia, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport
    Did they sell. PM sent.

19. Apr 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    KJaikaran

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    Sold, sorry about the late update.

Products Discussed in

To Top