1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reverse wheelhop ? (while braking)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by geezer55, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Apr 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    geezer55

geezer55 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Elizabeth, Pa
    Vehicle:
    01 DoubleCab Limited
    Hey All, This has got to be the strangest problem I've had in 29 yrs of owning 8 toyota trucks. Being that there are so many knowledgable members here I'm hoping someone has either heard of or had the misfortune of personally having this happen to them. First off I purchased my 01 dble cab in Feb. knowing that it had some issues (needed timing belt, major cleanup, shocks & rear springs and some items to personalize it. I drove it almost 2 mo. trouble free then it happened. While driving up a hill I notice what felt like a engine miss, going down the other side when I applied the brakes all hell broke loose (violent shaking like I've never seen before).I narrowed it down to coming from the rear by pulling the ebrake, again very bad shuddering. Got home pulled the rears and checked out the brakes. Found some gear oil leakage from the drivers side axel seal so i figured I'd replace the brakes and drums while doing both seals. Then with the axels out I found the pass. side wheelbearing had a large amount of play so I got a machine shop to do the work (wow! expensive)also I found the rear section of ebrake cable to be internally hanging up stopping the levers on the backing plate from hitting the stops, got a new one from the stealership. After putting it all back together same problem. Now the question, is it possible that because the rear leaf springs are reverse arched so badly that upon braking the axel is twisting downward putting stress on the slipyoke ujoint at the diff causing a bind? With the mileage 138000 the parts that I replaced would have been needed sometime soon anyway but I'm getting tired of throwing money at it with no results. Does replacing the springs sound like a solution to this problem? Sorry about the length of this post but I felt all the info was important. Thanks in advance for any and all help, believe me I really stumped this time. Mike

2. Apr 12, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    geezer55

geezer55 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Elizabeth, Pa
    Vehicle:
    01 DoubleCab Limited
    Any ideas on what this could be?

3. Apr 12, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do you know what the shop did in your rear diff?

Obviously they replaced the bearings. Did they do anything to the ring & pinion (gear setup)? Did they do anything to the pinion bearings?
    Did they notice anything else wrong in there?

Did you check the U-joints?

Crawl under the truck (while in Park/gear) and grab the driveshaft and rotate it. How far does it move?

This vibration - it occurs upon 'acceleration' and 'deceleration'??
    If you're coasting - does it vibrate?

4. Apr 12, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    quattrokiwi

quattrokiwi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma, Limited, TRD, Locked, Geared, 4x4
    I'm no expert, but you saying the rear springs have a negative arch makes me think of axle wrap, which could cause your shaking.

I know one thing your springs are shot, will replacing them fix the problem, i can't say. Will it be bad-no, so check out the group buy for first gen springs. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gr...heelers-offroad-1st-gen-leaf-replacement.html

Janster, i don't think he was refering to the bearings in the rear end, so they won't have touched any ring and pinion gears. My guess is its the axle bearings.

5. Apr 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    geezer55

geezer55 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Elizabeth, Pa
    Vehicle:
    01 DoubleCab Limited
    Thanks guys for the input. Janster quat is correct no diff work completed. I had the wheel bearing replaced. This all started before I did any work at all. The leaves are very reverse arched and I am thinking of the Alcan group buy but time is the problem I need them now. My son got a job and needed transportation so I got the dblcab for my ride and gave him my 97 4runner to drive, right now I'm in the runner leaving him no wheels. I put it up on jackstands had him run it up to 25mph then put on brakes, the diff tilted down but not much. Spring bushings are fine but the springs are sad. Also checked ujoints and slipjoints all ok. I'm leaning towards the springs as the problem but I really don't know. As I stated before I don't want to waste more cash but I guess I'll have to pick up some springs. Thanks for the help, Mike

To Top