1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review Fold a cover G4 elite

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by CAdiveTaco, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Nov 11, 2009 at 10:22 AM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Phlip4x4Sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road Long Bed
    New and Unmodified
    Short Bed (5') is 49lbs shipped via UPS

I panicked when I first got it. Just looking at it none of the corners were square. WTF.... :goingcrazy:
    Then calmed down and looked at it. It tapers by design. it is about 1/2" wider at the cab side than it is at the tailgate.

It looks solid. The locking mechanisms are all adjustable. I'll put it on around noon today!!!

:D :thumbsup:

2. Nov 11, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust

Sweet, I plan to get one in about three weeks

3. Nov 11, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Damn I want one of these but can't get one in Canada. I gotta find someone near Houlton Maine (About 1.5 hours form here) that I could have it shipped to so I can pick it up. :D:D

4. Nov 12, 2009 at 11:33 PM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    Taco-NB

Did you check the dealers for Fold a Cover on their website? Just enter the name of the nearest major city you are in/close to. There were two for me in Edmonton (I'm figuring from your alias you are from New Brunswick so a "little east" from here) - I just typed in Edmonton in the dealer search and they came up.

I ordered mine and it arrived in 5 days. I'm going to install it this weekend.

5. Nov 13, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    snorola

snorola Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Eibach 14" 650lb springs Camburg UCA's All pro expo springs OME rear shocks All pro front bumper All pro IFS skid All pro sliders SCS f5 matt black rims Lightforce blitz 240's
    Can I ask where you ordered it from and how much you paid?

I am in Canmore AB and everywhere in Calgary seems to be at least $300 more than US prices

6. Nov 13, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    I noticed that too but when you add on shipping you are not saving any money.

I got mine for $950 CDN taxes in which was comparable to what I was going to pay for an Extang.

7. Nov 13, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    snorola

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Eibach 14" 650lb springs Camburg UCA's All pro expo springs OME rear shocks All pro front bumper All pro IFS skid All pro sliders SCS f5 matt black rims Lightforce blitz 240's
    thats not a bad deal

which shop was that from?

8. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:53 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    Yea there's a place just down the road from me here in Fredericton. They quoted me $1165.00 + tax!!!!! Freekin' rip off bastards!!

I can get one shipped to Houlton Maine for $725usd (less than $800cdn). It's only 1.5 hours from my house. I'll keep asking everyone I know until I find someone who has a relative that lives in that area.

Cheers.

9. Nov 14, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Aero Carparts

10. Nov 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    TacomaCountry09

TacomaCountry09 Member

Member:
    Orange County NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    Just ordered my G4 Elite from Truck Add Ons
    Came to just over $700 and comes with the FREE cargo bar and tailgate seals.
    Regular price was $775.80, came up as $725.80 on the order confirmation minus the $20 coupon for filling out the special offer page.

11. Nov 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    Tunngavik

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I just installed mine this weekend. Took about 2.5 hours as I wanted to take my time. Had help when positioning the cover but other than that did the work myself.

The instructions were good but in a couple of sections they could have been clearer - sometimes it was hard to know whether they were referring to the front of back of the box.

Another thing to note (especially during this time of year) they clearly state that you have to apply the adhesion promoter in an environment that is around 20 degrees Celsius. If you are doing it yourself then it is best to have a heated garage.

12. Nov 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    TacomaCountry09

TacomaCountry09 Member

Member:
    Orange County NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    Hey Tunngavik, Have any pictures to share.......

13. Nov 17, 2009 at 6:43 AM
    truckalter

truckalter Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Waynesville, NC
    GOOD NEWS GUYS!!!!

We just got a new deal from Fold-A-Cover after negotiating with them and promising to up my FAC sales by 100%... and can now do the FAC G4 for you for $665 shipped in the lower 48 states for the 5' and 6' beds.

The far less popular LS model has moved to $620 shipped in the lower 48.

I try to never ever bash another dealer. I just don't like to do it. However, after helping several customers with bad issues lately after they purchased from a particular dealer I would highly suggest that whether you buy from me or anyone else, please before using Trucks Ad**** (lawsuit avoidance...lol) do a customer review check.

Our special pricing pages will reflect this change in a few hours...

14. Nov 18, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    snorola

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    my latest quote from a place in Calgary..... grrrrrr!!! :mad:

I think I am going to go with the bakflip G2, its my second choice but can get one for $869 + tax and it will be here in two days

15. Nov 19, 2009 at 6:27 AM
    truckalter

truckalter Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Waynesville, NC
    I think we can get a FAC to you in Canada for about $900 or so including everything...

16. Nov 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust
    Got mine from http://www.truckalterations.com/ while I was in school over the last two weeks and just installed it myself.

Took about two hours which included a pop n lock 5300, looks great. Only problem I have is that i9t is about 35 degrees here so the rear and front seals may not hold and will have to replace them once spring/summer comes around...

17. Dec 3, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    Does that include all the taxes and duties when shipped across the boarder? If so I'll take one!!

18. Dec 4, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    Just got off the phone with Luke. My wife told me to order the Fold-A-Cover G4 for my Access cab as a Christmas gift!!! I had $500 saved up and she is going to cover the rest!! Gotta love her!!

Placed my order and I should have it the end of next week or the beginning of the following week. Can't wait!!!

Cheers.
    :D:D:D

19. Dec 13, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    backdraftpete

backdraftpete Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    4"camburg lift spindles/Dakkar leaf pack,Trd CAI,Magnaflow exhaust,White long bed,FAC G4 with black KMC's on BFG MT KM2
    I installed my G4 Elite the other day. Got it for 30% off($695)from Truckaddons, came with cargo bar and tailgate seal. Shipping was about 2 weeks. No obvious damage on arrival. Took my time on the install. This thread was hepful. I still ended up with a bigger gap (between the wind rails and the cover)than what was recommended by the manufacturer. About 3/8" in one area. Called fold a cover(very hepful) and they recommended I reinstall. They are sending me the items needed for a screw in option(this I believe is a more secure option than stick on if someone tried to pry the wind rails off. I like the looks and functionality of this cover. It rained here for a couple of days and yes it leaks. Washing car or light rain is not so bad but when you have the constant heavy rain for hours, water will find its way. A bed mat is a must with this cover. The bed mat will allow the water to run under your items keeping them dry. As designed, most of the water gets channeled through the windrails and dumped off at both ends. Some of the water makes its way back inside the corners down the tailgate or drain holes. You also get water down the sides wich was mainly due to the irregular pattern on the bed rails that did not allow the 3m tape to adhere and seal properly. I did caulk inside and it definitely helped. But having layed in the bed while it was raining allowed me to see what appeared to be water makingt its way through the main rubber seal that the cover sits on. Maybe this is due to the larger but not by much gap I have. Also I will try to adjust the latches so that the cover closes tighter and maybe puts more pressure on the seal. Also I will be putting some lightweight metal angle on the rear of the cover due to the large gap in the rear. For as much rain as we get here in SoCal, I think the benifits of this cover out weight the cons.

Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg

20. Dec 16, 2009 at 11:57 PM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    I see the last panel has locks and all to prevent it from opening, but is there a lock also on the first panel? what prevents it from getting opened?

thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top