1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review of the suspension TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nd, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Nov 16, 2007 at 1:24 PM
    Delrivpilot

Delrivpilot Red Sox Nation

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    Westin Runnin Bars, Toytec 2" spacers, TSB suspension, Cooper Discoverer ST's 265/75/16. Pionner Avic F700Bt, Wet Okole seats,spidertrax spacers
    Hey Nd, not sure the max size. I did put the 265/75/16's without a problem. I believe they are 32 inch. But not sure. Upgrading the tires was the best thing I could do. Very happy with the ride and the look with the TSB and spacers

2. Nov 16, 2007 at 1:33 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i got the tsb done and LQQK is helping me install my 2.5" spacers in the morning. i'll make sure to measure the difference from front to rear.

ND: I think u'd be able to fit the 285/70's...ie 33x11.5...and that's w/ a lil trimming

3. Nov 16, 2007 at 1:39 PM
    Delrivpilot

Delrivpilot Red Sox Nation

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    Westin Runnin Bars, Toytec 2" spacers, TSB suspension, Cooper Discoverer ST's 265/75/16. Pionner Avic F700Bt, Wet Okole seats,spidertrax spacers
    Yeah, I know TJOPILOT has the 285's with the Toytec 3" and he had to trim just a bit. I have to recheck my measurements to see how close they are to his.S6300026_3096889dcb7a4db980c6fd3214b3455577a773c4.jpg
    S6300077_b798075c9a9469aadab0528cf4d30934d734fd78.jpg

my before and after

4. Nov 16, 2007 at 9:13 PM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    What's the advantage (or disadvantage) Of the spacers to the Bilstien 5100's? I am going to do one or the other and i'm leaning (or kind of) toward the 5100's in front set at 1.75 with rear TSB.

5. Nov 16, 2007 at 9:37 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    spacers are cheaper...if i had the means, i'd definately go w/ the 5100's

6. Nov 16, 2007 at 9:46 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    i know exactly what you mean critter. about 2 months ago i was trying to turn left from a frontage road onto a road that overpassed the interstate. the road i was turning onto was one lane in each direction, no center divider, with steel barriers on each side with a 4 foot shoulder on each side. keep in mind that there was heavy traffic and it was storming/raining pretty hard. i waited for about 5 minutes for a gap in traffic to make a left, finally got a small gap so i was like "alright be careful with the gas and here we go"(i was thinking that, i dont talk to myself....anymore haha jk) so i turned the front wheels towards the left a bit and gave it about half-throttle. the passenger side rear wheel started spinning, which i expected so i didnt worry about it. eased off the gas and started to make the turn, and about a half second later, applying the same amount of throttle, i found myself facing the guard rail and looking at the road i had just turned from. i had spun all the way around, and by the time i looked back to the side as my truck stopped, cars from both directions slammed on their brakes and almost hit me fromt both sides, because i was sitting across both lanes....that freaked me out for awhile

7. Jun 23, 2008 at 9:27 AM
    k2raus

k2raus Member

Member:
    I admit to being a mechanical dufus, other than I can troubleshoot car problems talk somewhat intelligently when I go in for work. I love my 06 Tacoma Prerunner TRD. My only complaint is that it has a rear end squeak. It sounds like one of those old spring rocking chairs when I go over bumps. Is this something that I the TSB could resolve? I have been at a red light, next to another Tacoma with the same equipment and when they take off, I hear the same squeak so it's not my imagination. However, when I mention it to the dealer I get, duh i dunno.

8. Nov 20, 2008 at 9:15 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    I had the TSB done and it is firm but not harsh. Raised the rear approx. 1.25" running light. Just got back from a successful MO deer hunt and had all my hunting gear in the cab and two large coolers of meat and approx. 1 cord of firewood in the bed on the return trip to TX. Truck rode about even loaded this way and got about 18 mpg running 75 mph against a 35 mph headwind. I really like this truck compared to the '99 it replaced. The stops were about 1.5" from bottoming out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Nov 21, 2008 at 9:21 AM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    holy shit dude! that is one neatly packed bed! if i put all that in my bed it would look like a tornado just dumped a bunch of debris in it.

10. Dec 9, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    jayh1515

jayh1515 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Are the 09's elligible for the TSB as well?

11. Dec 9, 2008 at 6:35 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i dont think the 09's are eligible yet. it will take a little while before toyota decides to add the 09's to the list, if they do happen to add them. most 09's are supposed to have better springs from the factory...............although im sure all of them arent.

12. Dec 10, 2008 at 6:47 AM
    jayh1515

jayh1515 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I guess we'll wait and see. I haven't had a chance to load it up yet to see if there's even an issue.

13. Apr 13, 2009 at 4:13 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I just wanted to thank you for the paragraph below. I take my Taco SR5 on trips with my wife and she loves the ride, says it rides like a car, what you said about your TRD. I was debating getting it done and even ask the question in a post without the results I'd hope for. This helped me decide against it as she has a bad back and as far as the ride is concerned if it an't broke don't fix it, can't fix her back. Thanks

In my opinion my truck always rode more like a car than a truck and i never considered the TRD suspension stiff or uncomfortable. Having said that, after the TSB i definately noticed a change in my ride. I still would not consider the ride characteristics to be uncomfortable, but the ride is not quite as comfortable as it was before the TSB. I still enjoy driving my truck and will have no problems taking it on long trips. But if you get the TSB done expect to feel a noticable difference. If you notice a certain bump or pothole or traintrack on the way to work everyday, expect to notice it just a little bit more. To sum up, the ride will change but for me it was worth it since i am more concerned with functionality than comfort. If you do even a modest amount of heavy towing or hauling i would say that the upgrade is a must. However, if you one of those people that already thinks the TRD suspension is too stiff and uncomfortable, or you are currently happy with the ride of your truck and you dont plan on doing much hauling or towing, you may want to avoid this TSB

14. Apr 18, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    k2raus

k2raus Member

Member:
    I had the suspension TSB performed some time ago. To any of those who are considering not having it done, perhaps you should consider the following:

How long are you going to keep your Taco?
    How much hauling do you do with the truck?
    How many hours do you drive the truck?
    If you are going to keep the truck a long time, do you want to chance diminished handling in the rear end later down the road when you are out of warranty?

My problems, diminished handling and squeaking like an old platform rocker did not appear until after I used my truck for a big landscaping job and took two trips from Fla to Va. I think Toyo banked on the bulk of its Taco owners to drive more for pleasure that really using their trucks so the extra spring was never included in their engineering of the truck.

I am 57 years old with minor back and shoulder problems. I just got back from driving from NM to the central coast of CA, a roundtrip of 2200 miles. The difference in the ride for me is minimal and has never affected my comfort level on a long haul (i drive as much as nine hours at a time). I drove long trips before and after the TSB.

I am no mechanic but I think if you are going to keep the truck a long time, the TSB is a must because sooner or later the rear end is going to get mushier as time goes by, which could impact on the rear-end handling of the vehicle.

This truck was marketed for it's ride and I think a sacrifice was made in engineering the suspension and handling to get there.

15. Apr 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    big bad john

big bad john Active Member

Member:
    Twillingate NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 toyota tacoma yamaha trd special edition
    Stainless steel nerf bars by U GUARD.
    Does the suspension TSB apply to tacomas in Canada?:confused:

16. Apr 29, 2009 at 12:39 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Guess what? I loaded the truck with about 700lbs and it bottomed out when i rode over dips and bumps. So much for the 1300lb payload. I'm gonna be trying to get the TSB done asap. The rear end feels loose the way it is. I supposedly have the updated 3 leaf packs ending in G.

BTW, it's an 09.

17. Apr 29, 2009 at 12:55 PM
    sundoobie

sundoobie New Member

Member:
    Hello Tacoma World.. My first post so I hope someone can answer my question.

I just bought 18 inch Pro Comp rims and in the market for tires. Also the dealer has the parts ready for the rear TSB. I made an appt for Thur to get the TSB work done.

However, my question is should I get the wheels and tires put on first before getting the TSB work done considering it requires an the alignment? I would rather have the wheels/tires on first so that they can be aligned.

18. Apr 29, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    If you're buying new tires, most good shops do the alignment for free nowadays but it is a good idea to get the wheels and tires put on first since Toyota will do the alignment if your tire shop didn't.

19. Apr 30, 2009 at 7:27 AM
    goride

goride Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    22 4dr lb white off-road
    Tint, sliders, puddle pods, on my way to more….
    Just took my 09 DC LB in for the spring TSB, it was a hassle to get the dealer on board to do it I had to make a few calls to toyota and take my truck in multiple times to the dealer also had to weigh it emty and loaded and take the results to them.I thank every body for the info on this if it wasnt for the TSB with the VDs and the pricless info on how to handle the dealer I dont think that they would have agreed to do it .Cant wait to see how she rides,again thanks yall:proposetoast::rasta:

20. May 1, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    hunt4steve

hunt4steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    I figured since this thread was all about the TSB rear springs, this would be the place to ask my questions.

I recently purchased some TSB (4-pack) leaf springs from another guy who had them for only a few thousand miles. He upgraded to Deavers.
    Why purchase, well, I have a lift kit on my Taco and was denied the TSB spring upgrade because I had the lift kit.....yeah, I know I could have fought them, but it just wasn't worth the fight.
    So, the springs have arrived, and they appear to be in great shape. There is some numbers on the springs, part numbers i suppose, but I wanted to ask the experts at Tacoma World and see what you all thought.

One spring has "Yellow" Painted numbers:
    48210-04570-D RH 021107

The other spring has "White" painted numbers:
    48220-04210-D LH 280970

So, the questions; which spring is the driver side and which is the passenger side? I understand the RH (Right Hand) and LH (Left Hand), but from what perspective is this given? The front of the vehicle or the back of the vehicle?

Any light you all could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top