1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rhythmic humming above 55mph

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by QChawks, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Jun 23, 2022 at 5:34 AM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    100% tires

2. Jun 23, 2022 at 10:19 AM
    coylifut

coylifut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tk
    portland or
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DBC LB
    Weather Techs, Wet Okoles, cbi rear bumper with swingout
    I've now bought twice here on this forum from 05Taco4x4 and will buy a 3rd time when needed. I was under the belief that you can not buy a pressed into a hub assembly OEM. You can by the 3 components (bearing, hub and seal), but they must be pressed. Someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm this. The couple of shops I spoke to told me that pressing that bearing into that hub takes some care and skill and they prefer not to do it and rely on preassembled units. I had someone from a local machine shop that calls itself Bearing Service tell me the same. I determined that the unit sold by 05Taco4x4 was the easiest way to to source a hub with the NSK bearing pressed in. The most recent hubs I received were a made in China Dorman hub with a Japanese made NSK bearing. I have no experience with the TORQ or other assemblies.

Raylo and Key-Rei like this.
  3. Jun 23, 2022 at 10:20 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    I'm glad and sad I found this thread, it's unfortunately well timed.

Just ordered new assembled and pressed hubs from @05Taco4x4

I've had this hum and harmonic thump that I can only really feel in the gas pedal around 40-60mph and it sounds like I have mud tires when the Cooper ST Maxx's have always been quiet.

I was assuming either my driveshaft was unbalanced and or the tires were getting louder but now I'm feeling a little micro rumbly feeling at low speeds and confirmed last night on my way home after reading this thread when I lazily swerve during a lane change and the weight transfers I can here the noise lessen and greaten left to right left to right with the weight shift.

Damn.

Suppose I got my money's worth, 5 years since I got the truck, it had 170k miles and I've put on 80k more.

Guess it's time, a bad time but what you going to do?

Going to try and get gusseted spindles to put on with the new hubs at the same time from @m00seNUckLEz

TnShooter and 05Taco4x4 like this.
  4. Jun 23, 2022 at 11:16 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Does he have a web storefront? Or is this done by forum PM? How much do they cost?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  5. Jun 23, 2022 at 11:53 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    dk_crew, Raylo[QUOTED] and TnShooter like this.
  6. Jun 23, 2022 at 1:19 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    I used ones built by a member here the first time. He isn’t a member here any more.
    They were “expensive”. They failed about 3 years/34k miles.
    The second time, I was aggravated about the goods ones going “bad” so soon.
    So, I order the “cheaper” Beck/Arnley. I don’t know what Bearings they used. I didn’t look, it was 90+ degrees outstanding and I just wanted to get it done. So far, they seem to be fine. But I only have about 10-15k on them.

I don’t know why the first ones went bad so soon.
    And I can’t/don’t blame the builder. As I said, I have no idea why they went bad?
    But I’m stubborn, and figured why spend a lot of money again, if the “cheap” ones last just as long.
    I guess I see soon enough, huh?

If I were looking for GOOD bearings with great reviews. I’d recommend @05Taco4x4 assemblies.
    I’ve heard nothing but GREAT stuff on his stuff.

05Taco4x4 and Key-Rei like this.
  7. Jun 23, 2022 at 7:44 PM
    coylifut

coylifut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tk
    portland or
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DBC LB
    Weather Techs, Wet Okoles, cbi rear bumper with swingout
    that sucks that you bought what you anticipated to be good bearings to soon find out they were in fact bad. That justifies taking a chance on less expensive generic bearings. I would point out that changing or at least closely inspecting the seal that lives on the backside of the steering knuckle is a best practice along with properly torquing the axle nut. Both a bearing with too much preload and not enough can cause premature wear. Banging that hub assembly away from the knuckle on a 90 degree day would be most unwelcome.

8. Jun 25, 2022 at 2:21 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    At 85,000 ish miles I replaced both front wheel bearings. Neither had failed or was making noise, but were originals.

I purchased Timken bearings, fully greased them with Mobil 1 grease, and did the press apart, press together myself. Was not difficult, but did require fabricating an aluminum sleeve to press them on. Tightened, torqued and saftied the nuts.

Recently, I have been getting a droning noise that happens around 40mph, diminishes a bit, then can be heard above 50 until it quiets at faster speeds.

I too tun Michelin tires, think LTX but would need to check. Even rotated the tires with no change.
    Definitely not air conditioning as turning off / on has makes no change. Unlikely it is driveshaft since lifting or accelerating makes no change nor does shifting to neutral.

2010 Prerunner, 88,000 miles since new. Will verify front bearings are still tight without freeplay, but suspecting it is tire noise.

9. Jun 25, 2022 at 3:19 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Do you have a press or did you do this with a vise and hammers, etc? I jacked the front end up to check my bearings (originals with 127,000 miles) and they feel fine. Road swerve test also negative. My noise feels more like an exhaust resonance. And it is not really rhythmic. I replaced the muffler with the Toyota OEM assembly about 2 years ago so it is basically new. No exhaust leaks that I can find. This is going to remain a mystery unless and until something gets worse. But I probably should do the front bearings anyway. They can't last forever, can they? ;-)

10. Jun 25, 2022 at 4:15 AM
    RLMoody

RLMoody Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma SR
    Yours hums at 55 MPH. My speedometer does a dance at 55.

11. Jun 25, 2022 at 8:44 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Done using a press and high end torque wrench. I suspected exhaust also, but no change if increasing revs via a different gear. Even removed the serpentine belt pulleys and checked them.

12. Jun 28, 2022 at 7:03 AM
    Yota4all

Yota4all Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I just started getting the humming noise yesterday, so I'm looking on here for answers. 2013 TRD Sport 4x4....104k miles with a level kit installed a year ago (1.75" lift in the front). new wheels/tires installed at the same time....-12 offset, no spacers, stock size toyo AT3s. no previous road noise noted at all, i bought the toyos for the low road noise rating. bilstein 5100s up front to provide the level.

The noise comes in at 57-63mph ONLY. I havent tried cornering yet to listen at that speed for a change. I did just change the spark plugs/cleaned MAF/clean PCV this weekend, but the noise doesnt change based on engine speed. i bumped it over to 4th gear and the rpms jumped, while the noise stayed the same. also tried with the a/c off and on, no change. There is no vibration at all, just a drone/hum sound that is new.

I did drag my passenger side rear wheel into a curb this past weekend, caught it pretty abruptly. could that have damaged my right-rear wheel bearing? sharp right turn in an area i wasnt familiar with, ugh.....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  13. Jun 28, 2022 at 7:25 AM
    Delta09

Delta09 Jesus On The Dashboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    South Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2024 SR5 DCSB 4WD
    Rear wheel bearings will do that funky 40mph hum, diminish, and then return at a higher speed. I tracked that issue in my old 09 and it turned out to be a rear left wheel bearing...

14. Jul 1, 2022 at 6:29 AM
    QChawks

QChawks [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport, IA
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DCLB
    as expect it was a bad front driver's side wheel bearing. although shop gave me the grave news that the frame rust was worse than I thought.

motor mounts are barely hanging on for dear life.

after thinking it a few days I knew what i had to do...

traded her in for 2019 Tundra :cheers:

Gearheadesw and ToyoTaco25 like this.
  15. Jul 15, 2022 at 3:50 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    Regarding that noise at 40 that diminishes as speed increases or decreases, then returns less noticeable around 55mph, it is definitely a rolling noise and not an engine, exhaust or gearbox noise since changing gear selection or coasting in neutral has no change on it. Just for grins, I did raise each wheel, fronts and rears, to check for play. Used a long steel bar to leverage things, but did not notice anything unusual.

Very possibly it may be the beginning of a rear wheel bearing acting up. I did however over inflate the tires to 37 psi as a test. Doing this much of the noise was gone.
    The truck does have Michelin Defender LTX tires on it that are about 1/3 worn.

Reading reviews of the tires, all the sell and marketing stuff proclaims how quiet these tires are. Finding independent real world reviews, many folks praise them when new. Others posted that after 15,000 miles they tend to get noisy.

The truck has now got just under 89,000 miles since 12/31/2009 when this 2010 DCLB prerunner was bought new. Already replaced front wheel bearings before any failures. Installed Timkens and made the tools to press them apart and together. Also greased them 100% with Mobil 1 grease before assembly, so unlikely it is a front.

Seems like tire noise, but will order Timken rear bearings and other parts, plus the tool for removing bearings. Unless something fails sooner, I will replace the bearings when the weather cools down a bit. But do believe it is tire noise.

16. Jul 15, 2022 at 4:32 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle

Pictures or it didn’t happen…..

17. Jul 15, 2022 at 5:31 AM
    dk_crew

dk_crew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4
    Key-Rei[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jul 15, 2022 at 5:41 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    Considered that but did them myself. Bought the special socket for short money, made an adapter for pressing the bearing on. Got bearings and seals, hub was good so it was reused. Not difficult but does go best using a press.

dk_crew[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top