1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RIA 1911 vs. Glock 17 vs. Beretta 92fs

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Bishop2Queens6, May 10, 2012.

?

Which Handgun?

Poll closed Jun 9, 2012.
  1. Beretta 92fs

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. RIA 1911

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Glock 17

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. May 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Hey all,

I'm looking for some advice on my next pistol purchase. I want something full frame, around the same price range $500-$700, and I'm crossed between these handguns.

The RIA 1911 is a 1911. Come on, who doesn't want one, but the cost of .45 ACP is the worry here, but the price of the gun makes up for it $450. I am a beginner shooter, so sometimes I feel the .45 ACP can be unwieldy. I have read a lot of good things from RIA, but I worry that $500 for a 1911 is going to leave me with issues, but I have read zero issues with people who have put 1000's of rounds through it, so I am price blinded by the $1000+ Springfield and Colt 1911. Good basic platform to go custom on if I want to

Glock 17. Reliable, strong, gets the job done, but its ugly... Cheaper 9mm ammo. The gun shoots great but I just don't like the looks of it. Bury it for 2 years and go out shooting after cleaning. A SHTF handgun.

Beretta 92fs. Gorgeous gorgeous gun. Pricey at $650, but I've seen on sale for $550. Cheaper 9mm ammo, but the safety and ergo of the gun is unconventional so I'm worried about teaching friends and family with it. The 1911 and the Glock have much more conventional controls and safety so if I taught them with it, they could pick up any other handgun really and be g2g.

I have shot all 3, and I would say the Beretta 92fs feels the best to me, but its pretty close between the 92fs and the 1911.

Help me choose gun enthusiasts of TW.

2. May 11, 2012 at 3:06 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I've always approached a gun the way I approach an appliance. How it functions is the overriding concern. No, it ain't pretty but neither the 1911 or the 92 will provide you with as good service as the Glock will.

3. May 11, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    Once you approach it from overriding concern of functionality, then you look for similar models with better fit/finish/feel

like M&P's or XD's

4. May 11, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I look at my firearms like the tools they are. I first look at what I wamt to do. Is it a range gun for plinking? That dictates ammo and cleanability to me.

Is it for a service weapon or concealed carry? That is ergonomics, frame size and reliability.

Is it a talking piece, take it to the range or going shooting with friends? Then the coolness factor plays more into this.

I dont know if you have tried out other pistol platforms than the 3 you have mentioned. Of those 3, id probably lean towards the glock, as all around I find it pretty hard to beat in most categories. But, I think there are better pistols (for me) for each of the categories I mentioned above.

5. May 11, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i like 1911's and plan on picking up a nighthawk custom sometime in the next year or so.

but, for a combat sidearm the glock is it imo, it checks every box for me, capacity, simplicity, durability, relibility, weight, price etc... & i can completely strip my 3 pin glocks in under 2 minutes flat trigger slide everything with a simple punch.

no roll pins or tricky spots to fiddle with its the easiest firearm i own to completely take down freaking awesome design! if glock ever decides to include a stainless steel guide rod it will be truly perfection. i find them to be fast into action under stress and have done really well with them in the classes we have taken so far.

& no i'm not a glock person either but, i do respect the design and think it is light years better than almost everything else out there just my .02

6. May 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    A 1911 is a must have for anyone, the glock and beretta are more of a worry free low maintance gun. With the 1911 there's no such thing as leaving it stock, mine went from basic milspec to a custom piece. I don't believe in using the saftey on the beretta. Just put one in the chamber and de cock the hammer, it has a double action feature (like a sig). Just keep the finger off the trigger.

Now on the 1911, especially mine, there should be a saftey. Almost no creep with a 3-3.5 lb trigger pull.

Between the glock and beretta I would go glock. They are light, easy to clean and keep, parts are overly ready available, and you can customize them too.

I would really recommend the 9mm for a first handgun, glock 17/19, or a 22/23 (with a 9mm conversion, xd 9 (or 40 with 9mm conv.) m&p 9, sigpro 2022 9mm, beretta.

7. May 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    G17 hands down, 1911 was my first pistol and its a really nice one, it just sits in the safe while my G34 gets all of the range/competition time

8. May 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    I voted 92fs. I have a 92a1, it fits me well and shoots great. Don't have a 17 but I have a Glock 19 and I like that one too. I'm not a big fan of 1911's but have friends that have them and love them. All great guns! You just got to choose one! :confused:

9. May 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    STI Spartan 9mm.
    Coolness and function.
    And you'll have something that doesn't depreciate like a lead balloon (G17)

10. May 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Owner of RIA 1911, G26, and 92FS here....

92fs was more than adequate for military and LEO for many, many, many years until Gaston managed to corner the LEO market.

For quality and reliability, either the 92FS or the G17. The RIA? It's a 1911... and subject to a 100 year old design's flaws. 1911s are picky about magazines, some do not do well with JHP, or can be picky about which JHP is used.

Features? G17 has no manual safety, it's always ready to go, 92FS safety also de-cocks, so firing when removing from safe requires either a long DA trigger pull, or manual cocking.
    1911 has a manual safety, but has no DA mode... remove "safe" and it's ready to fire.

92FS is a beefy piece. The weight can be an issue for concealment, but it also helps to mitigate recoil. The slide action is also much easier (my wife loves her 92FS, but she cannot chamber the Glock).

11. May 13, 2012 at 7:40 AM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Which ever weapon you decide on, see if someone makes a .22 conversion kit. I have one for my Glock 23 and one for my 1911.

The conversion kits function the same as the original weapon and produce about the same recoil........cheap practice day at the range.....about $10 for almost a full day of shooting...........the more you practice, the better you get.

Products Discussed in

To Top