1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ride rite airbags with lifted truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by soilsample, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Mar 26, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    soilsample

soilsample [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Southwest Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD Off Road
    Hi everyone
    I have just ordred a set of Firestone Ride Rite air bags for my '09 double cab 4x4.
    I have bilstein shocks and aal in the rear end of my truck.
    Will the air bags still work with the extra height?

Thanks
    Donald

2. Mar 26, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    They will but the bags will be stretched out a little more. The real problem is the bags were designed to be compatible with the rear suspension with regard to droop. Droop (or fully extended suspension) is limited by the stock shocks. The bags are designed to be able to be stretched at least to this point, maybe a little further. When you lift the rear and add longer shocks, this will now allow the suspension to droop a little further, increasing the distance between the frame rail and rear axle (which is where the bags mount). Now that the suspension will extend further, you run the risk of overextending the bags and ripping them. Don't off road and fully flex out your suspension? Doesn't matter. The next time the truck is put on a lift it'll rip the bags.

You could probably mount a home made spacer of sorts between the rear axle and the bag to compensate for your lift. Another option would have been to contact Firestone before you ordered and asked for a bag that was "X" number of inches longer - with "X" representing the extra amount your suspension can now extend versus stock.

How much did you lift the rear?

3. Mar 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    soilsample

soilsample [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Southwest Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD Off Road
    I did an add a leaf in the rear.... It's probably 1.5" higher than stock.

Thanks for info!

4. Mar 26, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    yotarob2005

yotarob2005 Kiss My IFS

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bryan , Tx
    Vehicle:
    05 D-cab trd sport long bed
    Front Bilstien 5100's Set @ 1.75", rear 5100's & TSB springs, Flowmaster, TRD seat covers, Toyota All weather floor mats, 265/70-17 Michelin LTX AT2's, some Debadgeding, BHLM, led bed lights, 886 back up lights, fog lights anytime mod, Extra d-rings, Toyota bed mat, sockmoney TRD decals, Kenwood 890DNX, Firestone ride-rite air bags, 2 car seats.
    I have the firestone air bags & TSB springs & 5100 rear shocks with no problems. I always let the air down to about 5psi if I am going off road. I don't think your AAL is enough to worry about ripping the bags. Just my .02

5. Mar 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I wouldn't worry with a lift of 2" or less. I had the TSB installed which gave me about 1.5" after settling and I also had no problems.

Products Discussed in

To Top