1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ride Stiffness TRD Off Road 5100 Bilstiens

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by OLROY, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Oct 20, 2011 at 11:05 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    if you want more that .85" of lift then get some Eibach or OME springs

2. Oct 20, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    ruger1

ruger1 Active Member

Member:
    Western NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFFROAD
    rear tsb, bilstein 5100's all around, trd exhaust.
    I had the tsb done last week and then added the 5100's all around with the stock coils. The fronts are set at 1.75" and my front end is 2" higher now. I have not driven it much yet but to me it feels great, better than stock. I didnt care for the plush ride of the truck before, felt like a car. It feels tighter and more responsive with the new shocks. The TSB did firm up the back a bit but not much in my opinion. I love the way it rides now. It's all personal preference though.

3. Oct 21, 2011 at 12:10 AM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.
    I have an 08 dbl cab with 5100 set at 2.5" with stock springs. I have been rolling on this setup for about 2yrs now. Little stiff, but better than stock IMO!!!

4. May 7, 2016 at 5:30 AM
    jamiec

jamiec Man who keep hands in pockets feel cocky all day

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius three touring. Sold the Taco
    Old thread revival.

I have considered using my stock off road springs with 5100s. Any recent experience or long term opinions on this?
    Personally I think the stock setup is way too soft so I'd like a little former ride.

5. Jul 19, 2016 at 12:06 AM
    bang3410

bang3410 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma PreRunner
    stock
    I am also interested in running 5100 Bilies and my TRD O/R springs at 1.75 or 2.5, Toytec AAL, 1/4in spacer to correct driver side lean and total chaos UCA,. I am not a huge fan of it being too stiff so I am thinking of going 1.75. Eventually I do plan on getting an ARB front bumper and winch adding about 200 pounds on the front. Any ideas on what to expect and what to do? Some people suggested to get OME but the bilies are more in my price range

6. Jul 19, 2016 at 2:16 AM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    I had 5100's on stock Offroad coils set @ .85" for years, trouble free. The ride felt the best to me @ that height. I had my frame replaced last year, and replaced all my suspension, including a new set of 5100's, and new Offroad coils, this time set to 1.75". The ride is definitely firmer than before, but not harsh.

I have the spacer for the Taco lean, and it does what it's supposed to. I have also read the actual issue isn't the suspension, but the radiator support bushing failing, that actually causes the lean. Maybe look into replacing those. If your adding a plate bumper, you should look into aftermarket springs to support the extra weight, like OME's. I am now also running a Wheeler's 2" single leaf AAL. No complaints with the ride.

7. Jul 19, 2016 at 10:22 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Soo anyone have 5100's all the way around at have them set at.85 or .0?
    Any words for us here?
    Harshness? stabilization? anything helps

8. Jul 19, 2016 at 10:34 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    It leans because the battery and fuel tank are on the same side. Add yourself in there and thats a lot more weight than the passenger side has.

9. Jul 20, 2016 at 12:11 AM
    baboltin

baboltin New to the 3rd gen world!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Tehachapi,Ca
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma
    Stock with a camper shell for now.
    I did mine at 2.5 setting and with stock springs my truck is a sr5 don't know if there is any different but it rides well and does great off-roading when I'm hunting so I can't complain .

10. Jul 20, 2016 at 12:12 AM
    baboltin

baboltin New to the 3rd gen world!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Tehachapi,Ca
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma
    Stock with a camper shell for now.
    The only issue I have had that I have to figure out is that when I turn all the way right or left the inner side wall will rub of the tire to the uca just a little but I am trying to figure out how to resolve it .

11. Jul 20, 2016 at 1:56 AM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    Not harsh, better rebound dampening, more stable. Overall much better ride than stock.

That's always been the explanation before, and it makes sense, but the factory coils are supposed to compensate for this. The way I've heard it explained, is apparently once these bushings go (which is supposed to be pretty soon after purchase), that's when the lean starts. Apparently, it's not the chassis that leans, but the body, as the radiator support bushings support (at least the front) the body on top of the frame. Adding the lean spacer will definitely compensate for this. I have one, and it does the job, but apparently this is the root issue. Other guys have done this fix, and got a reverse Taco lean after, and then pulled the spacer.

@12TRDTacoma, and @58 Siesta should fill in any gaps in my explanation.

12. Jul 20, 2016 at 7:44 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    This is correct. It is not chasis lean. It is body lean due to cheap junk cab bushings. The only thing a 1/4 spacer will do is become a band aid to said lean, not a solution.

TXpro4X4 likes this.
  13. Jul 20, 2016 at 7:47 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    How hard is it to replace a cab bushing?

14. Jul 20, 2016 at 7:54 AM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    The radiator core support ones which are the worse of the 6 and degrade a lot faster as well as are a lot weaker than the ones which the cabin ride on are really easy to replace. I made a thread on it very long ago. Everyone who did the mod reports nothing but positive results.

TXpro4X4[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top