1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rifle Storage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ToughMudder, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Jan 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    ToughMudder

ToughMudder [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro 4x4 V6
    Locking Tailgate, WeatherTech floor mats
    I just bought a Savage Arms .308 hunting rifle and want to lock it up under my back seat somehow.

I have a 2011 double cab trd off-road. There factory plastic storage organizer won't cut it. I need something that first of all is long enough to fit my rifles and secondly that will be able to keep them locked up and secure, I don't want anyone breaking in and stealing it if I'm stopped somewhere and storing it in my truck.

Any ideas or anyone know of an aftermarket lockbox that can replace the factory plastic compartment on my back seats?

2. Jan 16, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I have never seen one for the rear seat compartment. The closest you're going to get is one for the center console and bed storage boxes. At over $200 a pop.

You're better off heading this one up yourself. And make sure to document it for us :)

3. Jan 16, 2012 at 11:27 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    lock-able over head gun rack?

4. Jan 17, 2012 at 12:22 AM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    Right now my .22 mag occupies the under seat storage, but I have been wanting a way to safely store my AR in the truck and have quick access.

So my plan is to build my own gun vault drawer that would be accessable when the driver side rear door is open. This would require permanently enclosing the under seat storage and enlarging the opening on the end of the bench. Also I would have to TIG up a drawer and reinforce the storage for locks.

I want to put one of these...
    [​IMG]

...right here
    [​IMG]

5. May 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    reh8388

reh8388 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Western OH
    Have you made any progress with your drawer?

6. May 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    That's a pretty cool idea for a drawer under the seat but it seems like a lot of work. I would highly recommend taking the plastic "storage" crap out from behind the seat. I did this a while ago and have so much more storage in the truck. Then you could use this space for your gun and not have to hack up your truck. There are a lot of rack options out there. Here are some examples and you could use one of these racks behind the seat. Access to it would be pretty quick and the gun would be secure. :cool:

http://www.mhq.com/accessories/weapon-storage/shot-gun-rack.html

7. May 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    I use a pelican rifle case with the foam cut out that way I never have to worry about the scope getting banged around. It is lockable, but locks just keep honest people out. I just use it for transport, and don't leave any guns in the truck unattended.

8. May 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Sunburst

Sunburst Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RC
    Headwaters of the Everglades
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite DC 4x4 Long Bed
    Revtek 3" lift, HID Headlights/Fogs, Tinted windows, Leather Seats, Weather Tech floor mats & Side Window deflectors, LED lights
    I would love to have a big sky gun rack mounted to the ceiling panel to have easy access to my guns but the side airbag curtains prevent that. I carry a couple rifles daily and really miss the ability to mount them out of the way but have fast access...

9. May 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners

"don't leave any guns in the truck unattended" X- A ga-zillion. Tinted windows and anything of value should be at least covered if/when you are not in the vehicle. Never store a gun in a vehicle any longer than it's intended use. When done, remove it and lock it up.

10. May 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    Sunburst

Member:
    First Name:
    RC
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite DC 4x4 Long Bed
    Revtek 3" lift, HID Headlights/Fogs, Tinted windows, Leather Seats, Weather Tech floor mats & Side Window deflectors, LED lights

Unless you manage 3,000 acres 35 miles away from the nearest gas station with the ability to shoot hogs, coyotes, deer and anything else you so choose. :D

11. May 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    JEP

JEP Resident Lurker

Member:
    Madison
    Vehicle:
    15 DBL V6 4WD
    N-fabs, BakFlip VP, power tailgate lock, bed lights, "raptor" grill lights. Standard mall crawler stuff.
    I can't wait to see the ideas that come from this thread.

12. May 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
  13. May 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1

yes, I have drawn up the plans and made the measurements.. I just havent had enough downtime to strip the truck apart and cut/grind/weld

:goingcrazy:

thats the only bad part about a DD/work truck, no time for time consuming projects!

14. May 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    But of course. Keeping it in the truck when you live in the ideal middle of nowhere is a different story. I would if I could, but we have too many hoodlums and hooligans around here.

15. May 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    Sunburst

Member:
    First Name:
    RC
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite DC 4x4 Long Bed
    Your correct, there may not be as many but there are still hoodlums and hooligans in the country as well, they just wear belts and keep their pants up, trickery I tell ya...

16. May 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    Sunburst

Member:
    First Name:
    RC
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite DC 4x4 Long Bed
  17. May 8, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    That or a rear window gun rack, those seem to have gone out of style on newer trucks, I only usually see them on old trucks.

18. Oct 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    Underground

Underground Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4L V6, Access Cab, TRD, 4WD
    I've pondered this myself, and I was thinking much the same thing except that I have an access cab. I was thinking that by removing the jump seats and rear console I could probably get one of these drawers below to fit crossways on the rear floor.

Weatherguard's not cheap, they list it at $772, but it has the smallest dimensions of any like that I could find. And the top would be right about level with the rear storage bins so you should still be able to pile stuff on top easily with the seats out, but access the drawer from the side.

Maybe use the bracket for the rear console to secure it, and that's about as safe as it would get leaving it in a vehicle I think. And of course protected from getting banged around in normal use.

http://www.weatherguard.com/truck_tool_boxes/view_products.php?subcat_id=18
    [​IMG]

19. Oct 14, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    Underground

Underground Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4L V6, Access Cab, TRD, 4WD
    I've considered something similar, although with less modification. I have an access cab, and I think if I remove the jump seats and the rear console I can fit one of these below in there crossways on the floor.

Although I'm not sure about the section of the center console that sticks out with the cupholders. It would be nice if I could remove just that part.

It will be out of sight, and short of some sort of hidden compartment, about as secure as I think it'll get.

[​IMG]

20. Oct 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home

Products Discussed in

To Top