1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Right knee pain... anyone else?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kogary, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Mar 24, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    lucky73

lucky73 Limited

Member:
    stretch more
    get new seat foam
    commute less
    see chiro
    strengthen youre core
    use cruise control more often
    sit upright, don't slouch
    place feel flat on floor and chin up

2. Mar 24, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    Fairbanks AK

Fairbanks AK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Also try taking your wallet out of your pocket.

At my age, aches and pains are considered normal. But removing my wallet from my pocket and putting it on the console cleared up a lot of pain in my back, hips and knees while driving.

3. Mar 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    Good point about the wallet.

Also, an easy way to check if it's the seat angle that is the problem before adding spacers is to fold up a towel to just less than a one foot square and sit on that for a while to see if the adjusted angle helps.

My right knee is also a problem but I thought it was due to an old motorcycle accident and not my hour commute.

4. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    Bosmob

Bosmob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Access Cab SR5 I4 4AT
    Fat Bob's 2.75" front spacers Magnaflow Muffler Doug Thorley Header ImMrYo Mirror Bracket
    I'm 6'5" and my previous daily driver was a 93 4Runner. Those things had fricken tiny interiors and my right leg hurt for the first month of owing it but I got used to it after that.

When I bought my Tacoma I was pretty stoked to find that the interior is huge compared to the 4Runner.

How long have you owned your truck? If it hasn't been for very long then i would just say to tough it out for while and see what happens.

5. Mar 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM
    gsxrdoug

gsxrdoug 2009 X-Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Douglas
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2009 X-Runner
    Stock
    Interested in the seat extensions? Never heard of those. No pain here but I don't do long drives either. Try the wallet I started doing that when I bought my first taco, seems to help, and there is not a lot of butt room for us bigger guys. 6'1 245

6. Mar 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    I've been doing this so long I forgot to suggest it, very good idea. A chiro told me about thid years ago, it throws your hips out and can lead to numerous problems.

7. Mar 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Ever since I bought the truck I have a huge pain in the ass..........my wife.

8. Mar 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    Sometimes I get a little discomfort in my left knee and I attribute it to foot position, and not enough leg room. When I move the seat back I find the steering wheel a little far away. When I reposition my leg periodically it helps.

9. Mar 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    kogary

kogary [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2005 Indigo Ink AC, V6, auto, 4x4
    Heated drivers seat, JVC HU, Sound Ordinance compact 8" sub under passenger seat, Morimoto projectors/D25 HIDs, LED lit cupholder mod
    Yeah, I've been taking my wallet out of my back pocket for years too. I also take my cell phone out of my front pocket, but that's mainly just for convenience.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

10. Mar 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    Are there any options for replacing the seat bracket to give the driver's seat vertical adjustment? That could help, as well. Would certainly help my short little wife.

11. Mar 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    time to see a chiropractor and get your back re aligned

12. Apr 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    kogary

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Heated drivers seat, JVC HU, Sound Ordinance compact 8" sub under passenger seat, Morimoto projectors/D25 HIDs, LED lit cupholder mod
    **UPDATE:

So I added a folded up towel to the seat this past week. I adjusted it pretty much every way I could think of over the course of the week, with only minimal improvement. I'm really starting to think that this has to do with the actual length of the seat. It feels like it's digging into my hamstrings about midway down my legs. I'm thinking this may be causing a lack of support which allows my leg to sit torqued to the side (thus torquing my knee)?!?!?

I'm thinking of heading down the road of buying after market seats (Recaro or Corbeau).
    I was reading some good reviews about the following Corbeau CR1 seat:
    http://www.corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/cr1/

Anyone have any recommendations for Recaros (or any other brand for that matter)?

I have a 2005 without the seat airbags, so I kinda lucked out there :)

Before I pull the trigger on a new seat, I think I may schedule an appointment with my doctor to have my knee looked just to make sure there are no underlying issues that would render a new seat useless.

13. Apr 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    kogary

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:

I've owned the truck for almost a year exactly now. I honestly don't remember when the knee pain started. It's been so gradual that 6 months ago it was more of an afterthought discomfort, but it's progressed into a very uncomfortable pain that is starting to effect me outside of driving the truck too (pain is now persistent ... which is why I'm thinking an MRI might help shed some light).

14. Apr 1, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    Drink Water. take ib proferin. adjust stering wheel height. ( mine used to hurt, but only when i used to get in and out

15. Apr 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM
    jbrenn

jbrenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    allen texas
    Vehicle:
    10 sr5
    I think you might have done something to your knee. My brother and dad are the same height as you and have both hurt their knees and they dont have pain when they drive or ride in my truck i have the basic seat no sport package.

16. Apr 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    well, yea i hurt mine a few years ago in oif. fell from 10 feet up off the top of an mrap with all my kit on. at least i landed on my feet though:D

17. May 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    Corndawg

Corndawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2007 double cab TRD off road Radiant Red
    2.5 inch pro comp lift Cobra XRS 9745 Detector 15 band scanner Pioneer DEH-P6900UB Python 991 remote start/ security. Tinted license plate covers Fog Light Mod PIAA Extreme White 4000K Replacement bulbs Red LED Dome and Map lights LED replacement tail light bulbs Black Weather Tech Floor Liners front and rear
    yeah ive noticed pain in my right knee. ive got a 2007 double cab with trd seats
    maybe its my height im 5'11",

18. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    stclair

stclair Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOVA
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tundra Access Cab
    Wondering if my 2002 Tundra might be the reason for my knee/leg pain at the beach right now. In and out for about 9hrs Saturday, and right knee swollen after getting here. Now I'm limping around with a bad leg 2 days later. WTH! Maybe time for new seats as well.

19. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    6 foot 2. A trip of over five hours in my old 96 Nissan was guaranteed knee pain, and I'm not talking "little ache, take some Advil and you'll be fine" pain, I mean it freakin' hurt like hell.

I have never had any sort of joint pain, otherwise.

I'm hoping the Tacoma is a lot better in that respect. The cab is much larger and more comfortable in general.

20. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    I'm 5' 8" and have no problems. I don't take very long trips in it though. Couple hours at most and then I'm pretty tired of sitting in one spot anyway so my whole body starts to get stiff. I have the same issues sitting in any chair. I just don't sit still for long.

Products Discussed in

To Top