1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rivian fully electric 4x4 - the future

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles (EVs)' started by ppat4, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Nov 25, 2021 at 5:53 PM
    OMGitsme

OMGitsme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sold
    You're nuts. They're already more efficient and more powerful day 1. They'll put fast chargers where gas stations are and there will be a couple bumps in the road but it'll happen fast. Ten years from now you'll look back and wonder how you missed it.

uurx and GBR[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Nov 25, 2021 at 6:07 PM
    Snoman002

Snoman002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sno
    Vehicle:
    21 DCSBORSWMT
    i believe he was being sarcastic

JL911, Sandfox86, Malvolio and 2 others like this.
  3. Nov 25, 2021 at 6:55 PM
    OregontoBajaCA

OregontoBajaCA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017DCLBOR
    Fear mongering and politics, spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.
    Also brought to you by some Electric company PR employees needing to write articles regarding worries about future electric load.

Some forget that you can charge your electric car on a 20, 30, 40 or 50 amp circuit while you are sleeping or after midnight while not using other high voltage appliances.

There is no need for a 25% increase in added electric generating capacity for electric cars, and although 25% more electricity might be used in total, it can be generated after midnight, when total demand for electricity is at its lowest in most of the U.S.

While they are sleeping, a large percentage of the population doesn't use their 220 or 240 volt circuit for clothes dryers, electric ovens and ranges, electric water heaters, hot tubs, electric furnaces (most of the year, for much of the U.S.), and air-conditioning (for much of the U.S., most of the year), so there's plenty of electric capacity for every home to have an electric vehicle charging after midnight.

Resources are used to create solar panels, just as resources are used to create everything in our modern world.

At least solar panels won't crash or explode in the ocean, dumping millions of gallons of oil into the water, while polluting shorelines.

****You can't run a gas vehicle without electricity.

****You can run an electric vehicle without gasoline.

For several thousand dollars added to your mortgage, everyone could have a large battery pack installed in their home or garage.
    No more worries about power outages.

Add solar panels, and you're almost energy independent and cozy in your own home.
    That's the future.

Gas stations run on electricity.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  4. Nov 25, 2021 at 7:14 PM
    Snoman002

Member:
    First Name:
    Sno
    Vehicle:
    21 DCSBORSWMT
    can I like this twice?

yes, the 25% figure was raw generated capacity comparing previous years output with a nominal energy usage per mile.

A point worth considering however is that a large number of drivers are apartment dwellers without access to power points where parked, especially 220v. Those drivers will likely be charging during peak periods. Hardly an insurmountable problem, and they are likely some of the later to switch due to a variety of reasons, but a point worth considering at least.

You mention battery backup and solar. I just wonder how much of the pushback against electrics comes from “truth” bought on social media by the foreign countries we buy a few billion dollars worth of oil from each year. But I doubt very much they care if their largest consumer decides to become energy independent at the home level…

Edit: roughly 16% of the US live in apartments, that is less then I expected

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    ppat4[OP] likes this.
  5. Nov 25, 2021 at 7:42 PM
    Duckinatruck

Duckinatruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR DCLB
    Sounds like a built in excuse to stick your head in the sand.

6. Nov 25, 2021 at 7:54 PM
    TRD493

TRD493 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Texas (DFW)
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 / 01 4x4 V6 Extra Cab TRD SR5
    How many panels would the average home need to power their home? Can their roof/property accommodate that? Can they afford it even it can? We talk about batteries...how many batteries would it take to store the power necessary to power the average American home for 3-4 days? You know when the sun isn't shining, or partial sun. Soo many variables to solar. Batteries have a capacity you can't go below or you can destroy them, or at least significantly reduce their life. How much would said batteries cost? What's their average life span before replacement? It's easy to throw them in the initial cost of a mortgage but what happens years later when they need replacing? Can the homeowner afford the replacement cost? I would guess not given that the majority of people in this country have no savings and can't afford a $400 dollar emergency. I think we do have to be honest about their current capabilities and limitations. I'm not against electric vehicles or sustainable/renewable energy sources such as wind and solar. How about we start with the easy stuff, like building homes more energy efficient. Seems to me that for the most part the vast majority of homes are being built to extremely low standards. What does it cost to really build an energy efficient house? That house would be around for decades, what's the energy saved as a result? How much traditional power (coal, natural gas, etc.) would that save over decades with very little change to what we're already doing? My future home will be as energy efficient as I can possibly make it, using current technology and building science, to make me the least dependent on some other entity for my power. My point is this; we tend to choose "extremes" to fix our problems instead of looking towards minor, but cumulative, alternatives that would/could cost less or be less disruptive, to our daily lives than trying to completely upend what we are doing currently. I don't know, maybe I'm just an idiot behind a keyboard.......

ssd_dan, JL911, Bob1971 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Nov 25, 2021 at 8:06 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    That's universal, we are all idiots behind keyboards, doesn't make the concerns any less valid though if we're also a good cross section of US population.

Snoman002 likes this.
  8. Nov 25, 2021 at 8:20 PM
    Snoman002

Member:
    First Name:
    Sno
    Vehicle:
    21 DCSBORSWMT
    Good points I wish I had good answers for.

Solar interests me simply due to the ability to become power independent. It is possible to power a residential home from them although unfortunately the batteries are necessary to become energy independent.

Is it possible to be energy efficient enough? I’m not sure although tackling consumption is always a good goal. Unfortunately much of what we do cannot be reduced simply in energy efficiency; no matter how much I try the energy consumed by my TV is gone, the same for the microwave, well pump, lights, etc.

You are right in a way however, we tend to try and buy ourselves out of a problem. Is solar (or wind, or micro-hydro) doing the same? If you don’t combine it with energy reduction then yes, but it you do then home power generation is just one item on a long list of things you can do. Imperfect, yes, but something.

I’ll be honest though, I’m only interested so I can tell the power company to shove it. That said, my power is cheap and that makes solar difficult to justify

Bob1971 likes this.
  9. Nov 25, 2021 at 8:59 PM
    AWD OWNZ U

AWD OWNZ U Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tacoma TRD Pro
    I legitimately don’t understand the hate for EVs. You can fill up at home, faster, quieter, most are made in America, and the fuel is made in America too. The only downside is that road trips take a little longer. Do you guys just really love giving money to the Middle East? Haven’t had enough wars for you?

10. Nov 25, 2021 at 9:57 PM
    HVLA

HVLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue OR DCSB 6MT
    Tyoed thread, meant FORUM. This crap has absolutely zero to do with the 3rd gen tacoma.

Why is it in here?

BeatnikFink, shakerhood and splitbolt like this.
  11. Nov 26, 2021 at 9:14 AM
    ppat4

ppat4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Access Cab
    Just added toolbox and roof-rack to haul my fishing boat 100's of miles into the backwoods every week. Goodrich K02s, Bilstein 5100 front and back, no lift.
    Oh yeah. Saute them in butter for a long time until gooey soft, but not too much butter. You want them to have a bit of that burnt taste and color.

Speedytech7[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Nov 26, 2021 at 9:21 AM
    NMBruce

NMBruce Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Quicksand TRD OR, sold = 2006 GX470 (past 85, 2-1987 pickups,90, 92, 96 pickup, 2000 xtracab, 2002 double cab)
    Ironman Foamcell 3" lift, ARB dual compressor, GoPro mount, BadElf mount, Drive grab handle, RCI skids, Victory sliders, half rack, TuffStuff Alpha ll RTT, Dometic 75 Fridge, extra USB & Outlets
    about three months ago we got two quotes for a solar system based off our usage, $45k & $60k. Not cost effective in my mind, it would take 20 years to cover the cost and by then we would most likely need new batteries, so more cost. The closest big town is 3-4 hours away, so I am sure that added to the cost.

Weatherby789 and shakerhood like this.
  13. Nov 26, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    2000prerunner23

2000prerunner23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    We should revisit this thread in a few years . See how well some of these comments aged…

14. Nov 26, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    Snoman002

Member:
    First Name:
    Sno
    Vehicle:
    21 DCSBORSWMT
    you can piece (diy) a system together for a fair bit cheaper. There is a good subreddit for doing so. The batteries are still an issue, not sure I would DIY that, but a few have and it works well enough. Obviously more work but it does let you go with things like micro-inverters that increase the usability of your system.

Depending on the local utility you may be able to sell back energy, that helps a lot. Understand though that every solar system requires approval since it can back-feed the utility lines, a very bad thing if folks are trying to fix an outage

15. Nov 26, 2021 at 11:46 AM
    essjay

essjay Part-Time Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5 (V6/AC/4WD)

A few takeaways from an incomplete (so far) viewing:
    • Hate the face and headlights.
    • Charging port location in the front corner seems like a potentially poor choice.
    • 4.5-foot bed is a dealbreaker, IMO. With the "in-bed battery pack" they're developing as an option, I can only imagine how limited the space back there would be.
    • Spare tire storage is cool, but... there's no way you're fitting anything bigger than OEM in there.
    • Built-in OBA with digital preasure gauge is awesome.
    • The pass-through storage is very cool, but how do you open it if you have a shell?
    • The $5000 "camp kitchen" add-on made me laugh.
    • 20" wheels is 2-4" too big.
    • I understand the pricepoint, but the commenters saying this will be great for contractors are completely fucking delusion. What contractor is buying a $70,000 truck with minimal bedspace? They could buy a small fleet of Ford Mavericks for that much.

ppat4[OP] likes this.
  16. Nov 26, 2021 at 12:13 PM
    TRD493

TRD493 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Texas (DFW)
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 / 01 4x4 V6 Extra Cab TRD SR5
    Kind of my point....expensive and you'll never realize the savings. You'd be better off spending a 1/4 of that making you house more efficient. spread that out over millions of homes (most of which will be around for decades) and we could tremendously reduce our energy consumption....without trying to make drastic, and extremely expensive, changes to the way we are currently living. Again, not again EV's and new technology that improve upon our lives and environment, I'm all for that. But literally at what cost? We as a country are not in a position to invest that much money. We already owe 30 TRILLION dollars and climbing!

17. Nov 26, 2021 at 1:19 PM
    OMGitsme

OMGitsme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sold
    You'll get a 12-15k incentive so it'll be a 55k truck. And probably only get cheaper.

18. Nov 26, 2021 at 9:59 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    I got a few quotes for Grid-Tied Solar Systems but the prices were unfortunately too high, not cost effective.

TRD493 likes this.
  19. Nov 26, 2021 at 10:14 PM
    MNMLST

MNMLST Well-Known Member

Member:
    Earth
    tinfoil lined cab runflat headlights pee-thru seats
    feeding EVs…

340A3659-203D-4F7A-A41E-68AF920343A3.jpg

99TacoDriver and Bob1971 like this.
  20. Nov 27, 2021 at 4:58 AM
    Snoman002

Member:
    First Name:
    Sno
    Vehicle:
    21 DCSBORSWMT
    have you looked up those images for feeding gas cars?

this seems to be trying to claim that if it isn’t perfect then it must be no good. I hope you see how you are being manipulated in those beliefs

binderline likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top