1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RLD Shell - Paint Cracking, Falling Off

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by SlumberingBear, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Aug 16, 2022 at 12:58 AM
    SlumberingBear

SlumberingBear [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Off-Road 4x4 M/T
    Bilstein lift
    I'm glad they didn't screw you as bad as they did me.

I got the roof rack from the importer. I'm not pursuing him any longer. I understand RLD has been stiffing him too.

But as promised ill keep updating the thread. I guess I'll make it a community event for us. Togther we can all watch my new shell turns to shit.

After another week or so in the sun. Here's where we're at:

2. Aug 16, 2022 at 1:12 AM
    SlumberingBear

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Off-Road 4x4 M/T
    Bilstein lift
    So since they told me they won't honor their factory warranty and have to take whatever the importer will do. I send them emails like this.

I appreciate you guys jumping in to leave comments and keep the thread alive. I feel the pain all over again when I wash the truck.

SmartSelect_20220816-010948_Gmail.jpg

TS4x4 likes this.
  3. Aug 16, 2022 at 1:15 AM
    Coondawg07

Coondawg07 Master of none

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB BBP
    I don’t know how search engine optimization works, but I’m curious to look into it now.

I hope they know that someone buying such a specialized product like this at such a high cost can easily be swayed by real online reviews about follow up customer service.

TS4x4 and SlumberingBear[OP] like this.
  4. Aug 16, 2022 at 1:23 AM
    SlumberingBear

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Off-Road 4x4 M/T
    Bilstein lift
    I don't know much yet. I know you can make a lot of money if you're good at it though.

The algorithms on YouTube are interesting too.

I read everything I could before ordering the RLD. I couldn't find anything too bad at the time and it seemed like they were taking care of their problems when they came up.

Eithwr things changed or that was an incorrect assessment on my part.

5. Aug 16, 2022 at 6:18 AM
    D. Lengua

D. Lengua Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited LB
    i kinda wonder if they've decided they're just not that interested in keeping pace with the other metal cap manufacturers in the NA market, preferring to cut their losses.

6. Aug 23, 2022 at 9:56 AM
    Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Custom floormats, fuzzy dice
    I recently got an RLD designs cap used, but it had the side cabinet brand new never installed. I followed the directions and they clearly don't make sense. I contacted RLD and they responded a few times and our last correspondence was basically telling me to just fabricate something. Then sent me instructions for the new design that is different. This is for a cabinet that cost my buddy $400 when he bought the cap. Pretty lame. I just asked if they had a picture of their set up, but never heard back.

Love the design of the shell, but wish they had a better website and support. Would love to be able to find replacement brackets and stuff too, but so far disappointed with their customer support.

SlumberingBear[OP] likes this.
  7. Oct 26, 2022 at 1:58 PM
    blackZEBRA

blackZEBRA Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD OR DCLB
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll stay away from RLD but am leaning towards the RSI SmartCap. Hope it doesn't have similar problems.

8. Oct 26, 2022 at 3:16 PM
    Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Custom floormats, fuzzy dice
    I love my RLD, but their customer service sucks. The cap is amazing though....provided your paint isn't cracking.

9. Oct 26, 2022 at 3:40 PM
    o0_henry

o0_henry Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD-offroad
    Haven’t had paint issues, minus some slight rust at some welds along the drip edge. But that was expected after 2 years on the gulf coast. Not even stainless is immune. That all being said, it was Bought assuming I wasn’t going to get good customer service.
    it’s a foreign company, you should have known they’d more then likely stiff you. They aren’t under any legal obligation here.
    Personally don’t care how mine looks, but if the look is important to you:take it off, pressure wash the remaining paint off, hit it with some 400 grit and rattle can it with some etching primer and black paint. It’ll last longer.

The RSI are nice but only half as strong for essentially the same price. If your really looking for something I’d probably go with a GFC platform topper. Get a good dynamic and static rating with a U.S. based company more likely to honor a warranty The RSI are nice but only half as strong for essentially the same price.

10. Oct 26, 2022 at 9:04 PM
    blackZEBRA

blackZEBRA Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD OR DCLB
    I'd be buying to use to sleep inside for truck camping. I really need sliding windows. I've inquired with a few local dealers for Leer shells and they're not far from from a metal camper. Thanks for your opinion though, its really giving me insight on metal campers.

11. Nov 26, 2022 at 9:27 PM
    SlumberingBear

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Off-Road 4x4 M/T
    Bilstein lift
    I wouldn't have guessed that they would stiff me. If I saw anyone having the same problems as me, I never would have ordered it. I think it's safe to assume they've lost a couple orders because of these threads. I don't understand how it could be worth it.

12. Dec 24, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    JBDLB

JBDLB Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am looking at the big three (RSI, alucab and RLD) I have officially ruled out RLD

13. Dec 30, 2022 at 6:44 PM
    SlumberingBear

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Off-Road 4x4 M/T
    Bilstein lift
    Wise decision. Thanks for posting.

14. Jan 4, 2023 at 8:23 AM
    lit_taco4x4

lit_taco4x4 IG and YT: @lit_taco4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    JD fab LT, Archive and Deavers, King shocks, Dual locked, Dual T case, Tundra steering rack, 39’s
    Seeing these posts here got me wondering what went wrong. I do see that some places are no longer selling these. I’ve had mine for over a year and have no issues except for the time that I strapped my swingout to the rack attached to the canopy which then pulled the canopy back about half an inch went I went wheeling in Moab. Strapped my bumper swingout down because the handle to open it came off when I landed hard on a rock. It was an easy fix, just moved it back up front and resealed. Won’t be strapping it down again.

15. Jan 4, 2023 at 9:36 AM
    SlumberingBear

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Off-Road 4x4 M/T
    Bilstein lift
    Look close at the areas where I'm loosing my paint. If you've been flexing it I wonder if your paint cracked too.

I think they failed because they have shit customer service. Can't make customers eat your mistakes and expect to make it on word of mouth.

16. Jan 4, 2023 at 9:59 AM
    lit_taco4x4

lit_taco4x4 IG and YT: @lit_taco4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    JD fab LT, Archive and Deavers, King shocks, Dual locked, Dual T case, Tundra steering rack, 39’s
    I’m lucky not to have one of those. But makes me want to get rid of mine if they treat customers like this and less companies are selling it. Too bad, it seems like a real nice design. With other companies I at least see that the issues here and there are being addressed. It’s obvious that they are losing business here. I haven’t seen the RLD thread active so that tells you.

17. Jan 9, 2023 at 11:06 AM
    SoCalTacoTuesday

SoCalTacoTuesday Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab 5ft bed
    RLD Design Tacoma Camper Shell Black
    Yeah, I got an RLD camper shell too. I've had mine for nearly 2 years and waited about 6 months for it to arrive. I thankfully haven't had any issues. Even though it's still in great condition, I kinda have buyer's remorse over getting it.

18. Jan 9, 2023 at 11:18 AM
    TS4x4

TS4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad
    Sorry for everyone's troubles but thank you for posting your issues. Because of this thread I will definitely be buying an Alu Cab Explorer instead. Hate to see companies behaving this way screwing over customers. Ironically, it will only hurt them in the end. If a couple hundred people see this thread thats 300k wiped off their balance sheets. Screw em'.

19. Feb 26, 2023 at 12:45 AM
    djwryly

djwryly New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma
    Huh, thank God for this thread. My local dealer (Cap-it) was selling his stock on a heavy discount, and said they were moving away from RLD simply because Alu-cab sold better.

I am thinking he is doing so because the product, and presumably RLD is giving him nothing but headaches, and he'd rather unload the last of the garbage rather than be honest that it's no good.

You can add one more tick to the "didn't buy RLD because I saw this thread" column. I also think I'll find another local canopy seller.

20. Feb 26, 2023 at 6:02 AM
    D. Lengua

D. Lengua Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited LB
    it looks like they've simply vacated the US market. RLD US hasn't posted to their instagram account in nearly a year, while their SA and Aussie accounts are still active.

Products Discussed in

To Top