1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

road noise with new amp/speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tacoma70554, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Apr 15, 2011 at 4:06 AM
    tacoma70554

tacoma70554 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    lousiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 prerunner sport
    westin bull bar, black nerf bars, halogen headlights/fog lights, flowmaster dual exhaust, LED interior lights, weather tech floor mats, memphis audio 10" sub with custom box behind back seat, 4 memphis audio mclass door speakers, memphis amp, blacked out emblems, ome 3in lift with aal, shorty antenna
    I recently had a memphis amp installed with all new door speakers memphis m class and 10inch sub in my double cab. The system was all hooked up to my factory stereo I don't have the JBL audio package also. But now i get road noise even after the filter has been installed to cancel it out. The place I installed it at said a new head unit would clear the problem up. Im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Don't feel like spending $500 or more for new radio and the problem not be fixed.

2. Apr 15, 2011 at 10:23 AM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    Do you get a whine? It might be that you need a better ground for the amp.

3. Apr 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    It's not road noise if it comes through the speakers, it's ignition noise;) +1 on good amp ground. If they ran the RCA's near power leads, or used the high inputs instead of the RCA's, you'll get the whine.

4. Apr 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    Anther +1 - Grounds cause more audio problems than almost all other problems put together. Amazing how many people want to use a seat belt bolt, etc., when that is highly suspect as a ground. And if they used Line Out Converters (LOCs) to drive the amp, they should have run speaker wire all the way to the amp, then did the LOC thing, with as short a length of of RCAs from LOC to amp as possible.

5. Apr 15, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    Tliv05

Tliv05 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma
    ARB bumper, sound system, Duratracks, AR wheels, K&N filter, Rhino lined, lots more to come
    x3 on the ground wire, i had this on mine where it whined like crazy, also depending on where your amp is look and see if your RCAs are getting hit by anything, i had mine under my seat and thats what was goin on and I was getting a ton of ignition whine

6. Apr 16, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Also whine can come from gains turned up too high.

7. Apr 21, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    tacoma70554

tacoma70554 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    lousiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 prerunner sport
    westin bull bar, black nerf bars, halogen headlights/fog lights, flowmaster dual exhaust, LED interior lights, weather tech floor mats, memphis audio 10" sub with custom box behind back seat, 4 memphis audio mclass door speakers, memphis amp, blacked out emblems, ome 3in lift with aal, shorty antenna
    well I brought it back to the place I had it installed they we grounded the amp, and cut 6inches of wire said that it would help.....it doesn't

told me they have an adaptor to decrease the noise if it still bothers me or to just change the radio

8. Apr 22, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    Does the noise vary with the RPM of the engine?

If you want to try troubleshooting this yourself I think first we need to know how the system wiring is going from the OEM stereo to the Memphis amp. Does it use speaker wires all the way to the amp, or did they run line out converters and RCA cables?

9. Apr 22, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    tacoma70554

tacoma70554 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    lousiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 prerunner sport
    not a clue about converters or rca cables not very knowledgeable on that subject its a professional place so im assuming it was done correctly and they have assured me on they have tried everything to stop the noise i have gone 3 times to see if there was anything more that could be tried

at first it was really horrible but a noise filter was placed in and cut it by 80% so imma see if the more powerful version of the noise filter if not ill go get a second opinion

Products Discussed in

To Top