1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Road salt, rust, and suspension question

Discussion in 'North East' started by glassman, May 23, 2011.

1. glassman

glassman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2006 prerunner
    Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a long-travel kit for my second gen tacoma prerunner. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is my worry about rust from when they salt the roads up here in the winter (I'm from southern california, this is new to me...).

I've essentially convinced myself that I can keep the uniballs as clean as possible in order to *try* to prevent rust. My last worry is that after installing fiberglass fenders, the inner wheel well will need to be removed. I've seen a couple of folks that have made their own custom inner fender wells, but I'm not sure how well that's worked out. Is it completely necessary to remove the inner fender well when installing the glassworks front fenders? If so, how bad of an idea is this with respect to allowing salt and other crap fly into places that I probably won't want it to fly into?

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks very much.

Ryan

2. Andy2010

Andy2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Bucks County, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport Mag Grey 4x4
    EGR inline vent visors, Trimmed front mud flaps, Hose clamp mod, AFE Pro-Dry S air filter, Bed mat off my '97, 5100's up front @1.75, Rear TSB, Tow package, Black TRD center caps, Weathertech Digitals, Wet Okole's in front
  3. virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    Oh boy,,, if you are from California ???? you are in for a big surprise. This is NORTH EAST. There are no places where you can or need to have a long travel kit. There are no open places where you can race and really use that long travel kit.
    Most of the guys that had or have problem with the rust with theirs expensive, fancy suspenssion will not tell you much. Call it pride. Based on my experience with any exposed stainless steel ,,,,,, can't handle the salt, sand and (or) rust. I spent big bucks on Icons and had to rebuild them twice in one year and half.

I give up and went for something less fancy but as good for what i am doing and the north east salt. OME with LIght RAcing A arms. Both have the shaft and the joint protected.
    I don't know about you but I don't really have any time to go under my truck every day with a bottle of lube every night.
    To make it clear to you,,, salt and sand will eat your exposed shaft with in very short time.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy Maryland.

4. Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Debadged, GC Mesh Grill, Yellow Fogs, Color Matched Headlights w/ Retros, Diff Breather Mod; mickey thompson classic IIs, 5100s, toytec springs, Dakar Leaf pack, ss brake lines, Lots more...just check the build page.
    imo, go ahead and do the install. We've had plenty of winters where we didnt get any snow. Additionally, I would imagine that by the time your suspension rusts out, you'd have enough miles on it to warrant a replacement anyway.

5. Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Why long travel on the east coast? Also, Oswego made a thread about UCA's in New England and made a recommendation for parts that hold up better with the salty roads we have. I see you're in Maryland so there may be winters where you won't have salt although a year ago Maryland got like 4x the snow we got in Mass.

To Top