1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Road trip!

Discussion in 'Tacoma Videos' started by bridaw, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jan 12, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    bridaw

bridaw [OP] The light was yellow, Sir.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SoCal, East San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    10 DC 6-speed TRD OR 4x4 tow debadged
    tailgate hose clamp/washer mod ,disable seatbelt warning ,dealer tinted windows ,running boards ,DiamondBack SE bed cover ,OEM rubber bed mat ,TRD Japan shift knob ,bed rail corner reinforcement with angle brackets+square nuts ,Armor Tech Offroad mount for 60" highlift jack ,Scangauge II ,OEM roof rack ,BajaRack basket ,WeatherTech dark tint window deflectors ,removed mud flaps ,debadged ,stubby antenna ,D-rings - 4 in bed floor + 8 on the side rails ,cut four D-ring slots in bedmat ,secured ActionPacker 48 gal cargo box to bed ,center console lock ,relocated 7 pin harness ,Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite hood supports ,Pop & Lock PL5300 tailgate lock ,RAM A-pillar mounts for GPS and Drift HD170 camera ,RAM mounts on bajarack for Drift HD170 exterior shots ,relocated rear differential breather ,headrest iPad mount ,ImMrYo rear view mirror lift ,Panavise Indash mount ,265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on TKO black rims ,installed front and rear WeatherTechTacoma DigitalFit FloorLiners ,replaced interior/external lights with Jumpers LEDs +switchback mod +under hood light ,installed rcbs204 Illuminated 4x4 Switch ,installed left and right Relentless Off-road Fabrication hood hinge light mounts ,installed KB Voodoo's Powder Coated Tailgate Cap System ,installed front and rear Wet Okole seat covers ,made and installed mount for Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel ,did ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod
    You don't see much more than my hood and shadow... and it isn't off road.... but it is FAST!

Canton Ohio to San Diego by way of Flagstaff / Grand Canyon
    http://youtu.be/wjjNfGk8T0w?hd=1

San Diego to Canton Ohio
    http://youtu.be/dNA5qFv1iuU?hd=1

Rainbow in OK City while driving east
    http://youtu.be/IwaWjDS6-k4?hd=1

Driving tour of Grand Canyon park
    http://youtu.be/Nwoopeqc6WI?hd=1

This is how the camera mounts in the cab. I ran the USB cord up the A-pillar. I did this mod and liked the GPS mount so much I had to make one for the camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jan 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 TRD tacoma
    Camburg LT
  3. Jan 12, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 5Spd Xtra Cab V6
    265/75/16 BFG A/T's, OME 881's, Wheelers 5 leaf pack, 5100's, Home Made Sliders
    That was pretty cool. Looks like you went through albuquerque at 2:08 in the first vid.

4. Jan 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    bridaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    tailgate hose clamp/washer mod ,disable seatbelt warning ,dealer tinted windows ,running boards ,DiamondBack SE bed cover ,OEM rubber bed mat ,TRD Japan shift knob ,bed rail corner reinforcement with angle brackets+square nuts ,Armor Tech Offroad mount for 60" highlift jack ,Scangauge II ,OEM roof rack ,BajaRack basket ,WeatherTech dark tint window deflectors ,removed mud flaps ,debadged ,stubby antenna ,D-rings - 4 in bed floor + 8 on the side rails ,cut four D-ring slots in bedmat ,secured ActionPacker 48 gal cargo box to bed ,center console lock ,relocated 7 pin harness ,Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite hood supports ,Pop & Lock PL5300 tailgate lock ,RAM A-pillar mounts for GPS and Drift HD170 camera ,RAM mounts on bajarack for Drift HD170 exterior shots ,relocated rear differential breather ,headrest iPad mount ,ImMrYo rear view mirror lift ,Panavise Indash mount ,265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on TKO black rims ,installed front and rear WeatherTechTacoma DigitalFit FloorLiners ,replaced interior/external lights with Jumpers LEDs +switchback mod +under hood light ,installed rcbs204 Illuminated 4x4 Switch ,installed left and right Relentless Off-road Fabrication hood hinge light mounts ,installed KB Voodoo's Powder Coated Tailgate Cap System ,installed front and rear Wet Okole seat covers ,made and installed mount for Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel ,did ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod
    Thanks. Certainly went through Albuquerque so I think that might be the McD's coffee stop that flashes. I pulled off in Newkirk but they wanted waaaay too much for gas. I was carrying a full 5 gal scepter can + super siphons so I pushed further down 40 for gas and then coffee. :)

5. Jan 25, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    GTABurnout

GTABurnout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4X4
    ICON Mid travel, Method Double Standard's with MTR 285/75R16's, Dakar Rear leafs, BHLM, Locking storage,
    More info on the camera set up please?

6. Jan 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    bridaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    The camera is a HD170 Stealth from Drift Innovation. The newer model, Drift HD, is a little smaller and they improved the design of the rear (battery/port/memory) end.

I have a Nikon D300s & D90 + fast glass but they are just too heavy and fragile for some shots. I looked at all the POV cameras on the market and for my needs the Drift is the best of the bunch.

The built-in screen is a must. I know a few others have ad-on screens but the Drift screen being 90 degrees off from the lens center of view makes it easer to setup shots. The lens rotates for more mounting options. The new model has a replaceable lens. There is a standard tripod mount on the underside. Drift includes a Start/Stop remote that can be worn like a watch. I put it around the shifter when I use the camera in/on the truck. It can record 1080p at 30fps but I mostly record 720p at 60fps for smoother slow motion playback. The sequence mode for still images can be set to 2, 3, 5, 10 or 30 second intervals. The image quality of the stills doesn't compare to RAW off my DSLRs but they look great for 2592 x 1944 JPGs. The auto white balance does a great job. Easy to navigate the menu and easy to update the firmware. I use the extended battery for longer recording but the camera can be externally powered by mini USB for long time lapses. The USB power will also recharge the battery when the camera is off.

I usually keep a RAM camera mount Mini Plate with 1 inch ball screwed into the Drift. I used the RAM 1 inch Ball on .25 inch NPT Female Thread and the mod linked above for the A-pillar anchor. A RAM Aluminum Double 3 inch Standard Arm with Double Ball Joiner will let you set up just about any shot. I use the double 3" arms on the A-pillar but I have it pictured above with one 5.25" and one 3" arm. I also have several 1" ball mount points on the outside of the truck. The RAM hardware is solid and integrates well with my Manfrotto gear so I'm glad I went that route for truck mounts

7. Oct 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM
    mipawlus

mipawlus Broja OG and CEO

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Behind the windshield, watching the world pass on
    Vehicle:
    BROJAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
    all of the mods.
    this is really cool. i only have a go pro and a sony camera, but my 9k mile road trip would rival titanic! haha bad ass though!!

8. Mar 13, 2014 at 1:01 AM
    Stribb

Stribb FNG

Member:
    Nowhere, MT
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD off road S/C
    TRD supercharger, 6 speed manual quick shift.
    Good vid

9. Mar 14, 2014 at 1:47 PM
    bridaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Blast from the past, this old thread. ;)

I have two cross country Route 66 trips worth of shots to process and upload to youtube. I just haven't gotten around to finishing the work. The video is FAR more interesting because I am driving on 2 lane roads most of the time and you can see Route 66 attractions.

To Top