1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roadmaster Active Suspension

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Goober, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Mar 7, 2023 at 2:41 PM
    AvockAdoo

AvockAdoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCLB TRDOR
    That might be their canned response, but from measuring mine, I know I got 1.5" on the 25% setting. Not sure if it would give me more if I cranked the springs up, but I dont need to find out! They're working perfectly.

myelin likes this.
  2. Mar 7, 2023 at 4:06 PM
    syswalla

syswalla Knob

Member:
    5557 ft.
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Alright, ya'll talked me into it so I ordered them. BTW, if anyone's looking there's an $80 discount at https://activesuspension.com using code "tacomaras" with free shipping. Came out to $459.

3. Mar 7, 2023 at 7:28 PM
    Lava-road

Lava-road Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Hard top camper...many more to add+
    Great you got a discount and free shipping. I did go to there web site apply the code, it work.
    But free shipping is apply to only 48 states.
    Hawaii shipping cost was $201.00. = over all cost of $660.00.

Amazon prime with free shipping is $539.00

4. Mar 7, 2023 at 7:35 PM
    Lava-road

Lava-road Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Hard top camper...many more to add+
    Great videos on the installs.

5. Mar 8, 2023 at 8:19 AM
    AvockAdoo

AvockAdoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCLB TRDOR
    Install was extremely easy. It took me about 1.5 hours start to finish, and I wire wheeled and repainted my rear drums with a high temp drum paint at the same time. Those drums get rusty so quick, and a few coats of high temp duplicolor flat black - they look new again (for the next 5k miles ;) )

syswalla likes this.
  6. Apr 9, 2023 at 3:59 PM
    syswalla

syswalla Knob

Member:
    5557 ft.
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Installed mine today. Not too bad. I pulled the rear drums and painted them first. This was actually the hardest part. Installing the RA was fairly simple. The first side took a bit of figuring so the second one was easy. I installed the bracket on the third bolt hole and put fuel line over the brake line on the drivers side to hopefully avoid the bracket rubbing directly on the brake line. I'll be checking this periodically. Spring tension was adjusted until a quarter just barely slipped through the loosest coil. It's probably somewhere between the 1 mm disc and the 2 mm disc. I may fiddle with this the down the road.

I'd installed TRD Pro suspension a few years ago which raised the front about 1-1/2". It now looks and feels close to the stock rake, so I'm guessing it raised it about the same 1-1/2" in the rear. I took it for a 20 mile test drive and it feels good. Definitely tightened up the rear end which, in my opinion, it needed. Doesn't seem to have as much body roll when turning corners at an intersection in town and ride feels close to stock. I've bottomed out the stock rear springs on dips in intersections and it looks like that may be a thing of the past. All in all, so far so good.

TacoManOne likes this.
  7. Apr 9, 2023 at 7:00 PM
    TacoManOne

TacoManOne KDMax-Pro Authorized Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRDOR DCLB Premium JBL
    KDMax Pro latest version, Meso stuff, JBL upgrades

Mine seems to eat bumps better too

syswalla[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Nov 19, 2023 at 10:28 PM
    myelin

myelin Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    These are on sale for Black Friday right now. I'm curious to know what the advantages with these over replacing the leaf springs. Obviously the install for these is easier than replacing the entire leaf spring. I guess you also get some level of adjustability?

I have a 2021 TRD Pro with a smart cap on the back and I'm trying to get some rake back in the rear. When loaded down with camping gear, the rear end sags pretty bad. I want to retain the factory TRD Pro suspension so I'm giving these a pretty strong look. Thanks for any insight.

9. Nov 24, 2023 at 3:12 PM
    Agoldxj

Agoldxj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2009 SWB AC
    Same boat as you with my 09 with 23 OR suspension and leer cap. Thinking about it while it’s on sale.

10. Nov 24, 2023 at 8:29 PM
    myelin

myelin Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    I think I'm going to buy them. I haven't seen really any complaints on them around the web so it sounds like a good product to address the rear suspension sag.

TacoManOne likes this.
  11. Nov 25, 2023 at 3:11 AM
    Agoldxj

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2009 SWB AC
    Me to, I want to do something now that I have a camper shell and my tsb leafs are pretty new yet.

12. Nov 26, 2023 at 12:43 PM
    Agoldxj

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2009 SWB AC
    Ordered mine Saturday while they were on sale.

13. Feb 29, 2024 at 10:32 AM
    JoshC

JoshC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off-Road M/T Celestial Silver
    Completely agree. I absolutely love my RAS. I bought it to compensate for a Leer topper I added. I was going to add progressive bump stops and my friend, who has tried pbs and currently has ras on his diesel Chevy, told me to steer clear of the pbs. I put the ras on and like others have said, at 25% height it lifted my rear 1.5 inches, but once I drove it around for a couple weeks it settled down to 1 inch lift in the rear. I have about a 3 inch clearance between my bumpstops and the frame. I believe I had 2 1/2 inch clearance before the ras.

One word of caution if you add an ras: don't forget to readjust your headlights.

Observations I've made. I have a 3rd gen OR that, aside from what I call mini-mods, is basically stock.

1) My truck used to wander on the road above 40mph like my 62 and 65 Chevy vans I used to have. Right away, I noticed the steering tightened up a good amount and the tendency to wander was gone.

2) My suspension holds in turns at speed. I used to get a good amount of body roll, but not no more. I corner at speed in my truck with confidence now.

3) When I load the bed up to go camping with 200 to 300 pounds of gear, my truck sits level, whereas empty I've maintained the factory rake.

4) For offroading, my articulation appears unchanged. If anything, the Leer topper negatively affects my offroad capability more than anything (if I go too fast over bigger bumps sometimes I hit the bumpstops).

Products Discussed in

To Top