1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roadmaster active suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by huntingskeetman, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Jun 30, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    huntingskeetman

huntingskeetman [OP] Member

Member:
    Olmsted Falls - Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4WD Access Cab
    I'm thinking about adding the RAS kit to my Tacoma. I was wondering if anyone else uses this active suspension kit. From the literature it makes sense and seems like an easy install. I don't need to get anything heavy duty but could use a little boost on occasions that I load up the bed or tow something. Any thoughts opinions would be appreciated. The other options/product I was considering was the kit made by Timbren.

http://www.strutmasters.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ROADMASTER-2351-TT-4&Show=ExtInfo

http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/application-pdfs/TORTUN4L.pdf

Gary

2. Jul 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    huntingskeetman

huntingskeetman [OP] Member

Member:
    Olmsted Falls - Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4WD Access Cab
    I looked into a group buy of the Roadmaster after learning another forum member was interested - see the link under group buys for details.

Gary

3. Jul 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    cntstan

cntstan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Wisconsin now, North Carolina will always be HOME
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SR5 4X4 ; 94 Ford Bronco
    3" Toytec coilovers, rear AAL,satoshi'd grill,ARE topper,TRD exhaust, All Pro winch bumper, Warn winch, All Pro skid, Pro comp 7089's, Supersprings, Wet Okole seat covers
    Subscribed. I've also been looking for feedback on these.

4. Aug 22, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    copernicus

copernicus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone have feedback on tacom/ras combo?

5. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Thread revive. I'm interested in potentially adding these units when I lift the truck. Starting to do some serious research on lift components and such and am interested in feedback on the RAS kit.

Anyone? Bueller?

Of particular interest: It seems these kits wouldn't hurt offroad ability and aid on-road handling, which would be especially helpful for a lifted truck (higher center of gravity = body roll). Anyone know of any offroad side effects?

6. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM
    InfidelTaco

InfidelTaco No better friend,No worse enemy...

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    AFE, Fox, Built Rights, Moog, SpiderTrax, Icon progressive, Grabbers
    interesting. . .:popcorn:

7. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I don't know this for a fact about this kit...but anything that stabilizes/maintains form or rigidity will hurt your flex offroad which may make your ability to clear obstacles less. It will also induce more body lean as the springs will deform less as the wheels move.
    Not to mention is more shit up under your springs.

For about 100 bones more you can get a new set of leafs...

8. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM
    InfidelTaco

InfidelTaco No better friend,No worse enemy...

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    AFE, Fox, Built Rights, Moog, SpiderTrax, Icon progressive, Grabbers

Nice post. Wheelers and Toytec have AAL's for a fair price.

9. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'mnot even talking AALs man...A full on new set of Dakar 2.75 lift rear leafs for a 2nd Gen is like 375 plus hardware and shipping and tax. So for a little more than 100 bones over the price of that "Active suspension" you can get a new set of leafs that will 1)lift (altho there are springs out there for replacement that do not lift) 2) improve ride and capacity handling 3) not add extra stuff under your springs and what not.

10. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    New leaves are a potential...I have the TSB springs at the moment and am planning to jam an AAL in there when the lift goes on, resulting in a 5 leaf pack.

Ride quality will largely determine whether this solution stays or I move to some Dakars.

The roadmaster is very maybe at the moment as well...largely depends on feedback, if any.

11. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I vote for don't screw around with in betweens- Go for the Dakars man. Every dollar you spend on something in the "meantime" is a dollar you don't have for spending on something else...ya know??

I did an 3 pack Wheelers AAL with my TSB springs- 7 leaves total. and I like it...but I should coughed up the extra few bucks for the Dakars (and I may in the near future...)

12. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    It's not a money thing. I'm perfectly willing to pay for what I want. There is no "meantime" as everything is going on at once in terms of:

- Lift
    - TC UCAs
    - Bigger Meats
    - Regearing
    - Potential one-piece/CV driveshaft

What I'm doing now is researching and starting to settle on exactly what it is that I want. At first I was favoring Icon for the C/Os and shocks, but it seems OME would still be more than sufficient for my needs and is quite a bit less expensive.

My main concern with the Dakars is payload compared with TSB springs and an AAL - which would end up higher? I'm looking to improve offroad capability without sacrificing work abilities any more than necessary.

13. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    This IS ALL hearsay....but all of the folks who have told me anything about the Dakar's have said the payload will at least match the TSB + AAL payload. They have some flex to them but will still hols the truck up.

Some of the other complete replacement springs focus more on the flex and can have less capacity...again from what I have heard.

Products Discussed in

To Top