1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

rock cracked radiator?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cameronlane, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    cameronlane

cameronlane [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    So driving down the freeway - i got about 30 miles down the road and then i saw my engine temp was above half. I pulled over to see my coolant was almost all gone and leaking from underneath the radiator.

Got it towed to the dealership and told them what happened. they give me a call 6 hours later and say its a cracked radiator .. likely caused by a rock flying up from the road.

i have two questions..
    1. Is that even possible? i have skid plates and the works so i am not sure how a little rock could fly up and crack it
    2. They think I should pay for it and I do not entirely agree - It was not my error as driver but they say its not the part error either. I think if a little rock and fly up and crack the radiator it is a flaw in the part.

What do you guys think?

2. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  3. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Bumper, CBI Sliders, Icon Coilovers, BudBuilt Skids, aFe Intake, Icon VS Rear Shocks, Timbren Bumpstops, All-Pro UCAs, JDM Steering Wheel, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps
    Have you gone to the dealer to look at the damage personally? Is the puncture at the bottom? It should give you a better idea of whether the dealer's theory is plausible.

If it is a rock, then it's out of your pocket. Flying debris can crack a headlight, dent your windshield, puncture a tire...

4. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    cameronlane

cameronlane [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    I havent been yet they called me as they were closing today. I am going to pay up I was just looking for other input or people that have similar stories

5. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i would want to see where it is cracked.the jugs are plastic with aluminum core in the center.theres alot of other stuff up there to get hit first,if it got hit from the front. ie:a/c condensor/tranny cooler if you auto.

To Top