1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rock hard seats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Snowman11, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    Snowman11

Snowman11 [OP] Supreme Ruler

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    Funny thing is, when I test drove the Tacoma, they didn't have a sport in, so I drove a SR5 with lots of options. Same everything but the seats and hood and shocks. I like the stiffer ride of the sport much better for my driving style and the seats look great. I'm going to check out the SR5 again and who knows, I just may want the other seats. I'm sure I could find a hundred people that would be willing to trade...

2. Mar 3, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod

I have the SR5 and I like the seats. I have heard that the others have a tendency to "squeeze". I am guessing that your seats have air bags in them? The SR5 does have them in the event you get around to that trade.

3. Mar 4, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    Snowman11

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    I went to the dealer today and sat in a SR5 and the seats were definitely much softer but they seemed narrower and I don't like the fabric so that's out.
    Check this out - I sat in another sport that was in the showroom and guess what? Night and day difference, it felt much nicer. I told my sales guy, figured he'd say I was nuts but he sat in both and totally agreed. WTF?

4. Mar 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Different batch of foam maybe?

Find a toddler and some Fun-Dip and have him jump on your seats for a bit.

5. Mar 5, 2011 at 4:52 AM
    Snowman11

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    Hahah actually I have a 3 and 6 year old I could do it!
    Seriously I think the problem is solved. I got a small pillow and placed it in the middle to raise the center just a little and it feels much better. I'll give it a try for a while and see what happens.
    and yeah it looks like the foam batches definitely vary.

6. Mar 5, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    Superx2

Superx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    that is one thing i actually like about my truck. they are very comfortable for me. sorry you cant say the same.

7. Mar 17, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    Snowman11

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    I can't say they are uncomfortable. Just hard. Anyway, I've had some back problems for maybe the last 6 years and leg pain is a symptom, especially around the hamstring. I really didn't put 2 and 2 together but it's always on the left side so that is an indicator. I started working out more regularly and would you believe that it's getting better.
    Before I bought this truck, I test drove everything before I made a decision and was pretty frustrated about my situation. I even went back and drove the new F-150 5.0 (wow awesome) and the Tundra again thinking the seats may be better but it was just not the Taco. I'm glad I stuck to it. It still pisses me off that my seats are much harder than the new one I checked out. My dumb luck.

8. Sep 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    CAPTM

CAPTM Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DBL CAB 4X4 V6 TRD SPORT L/B Debadged Black Sand Pearl
    TRD Sport Pkg. #4, Grey Leather interior, running boards (black), Hood protector, Fiberglass bed lid, TSB suspension w/ Timbrens, TSB windshield, K&N Filter, Mobile 1 oil filter w/ synthetic oil
    I noticed that no one has addressed the OP's question, which I would like to know as well. I have an 05 TRD Sport w/ 54,000 miles. My seat started out fine but now I would like a more comfortable adjustable seat for both driver and passenger. I do want all my airbags to work (side ,front, curtain). So the question is if the 4Runner seats are plug 'n play. If not whats the work around? I'll go to the dealer when I'm back in town and check it out.

9. Sep 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    Snowman11

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    Believe it or not, the seats have warn in nicely. I have almost 11,500 miles on it now and it's much better. I am really starting to like this truck even with the steering wheel shaking, the vibration at 60-70, and the blower chirp.
    Still, would be cool to take leather seats out of a 4-runner since the only way to get leather is to put sh!tty seat covers on it or have junk aftermarket re-apolstry that is never the same quality as OEM.

10. Sep 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I beg to differ. Talk to the guys that have purchased leather from John Huey on the forums here. I personally liked the OEM cloth, but I REALLY like my leather that I installed.

11. Sep 21, 2011 at 2:26 AM
    Snowman11

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    Maybe the workmanship is better near you... I know someone that got their minivan done and it's falling apart. The caravan even has the option for leather but the cheap ass thought he'd be slick to save some money and now is kicking himself in the bung hole !

12. Sep 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    CAPTM

CAPTM Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DBL CAB 4X4 V6 TRD SPORT L/B Debadged Black Sand Pearl
    TRD Sport Pkg. #4, Grey Leather interior, running boards (black), Hood protector, Fiberglass bed lid, TSB suspension w/ Timbrens, TSB windshield, K&N Filter, Mobile 1 oil filter w/ synthetic oil
    If you check the tag on the OEM leather seats you'll find who made it. You can order the same online, you just have to search a bit. I needed to replace just the driver seat bottom which led me to the search. In my case it was Bartlett. I installed it myself along with Liquicell pads and added manual inflatable lumbar pad on the passenger seat. Still would like the 8-way power adjustable seats though.:D

13. Sep 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    you think the seats in the tacoma suck, try the wrx seats. Since they aren't the recaros, there horrible. No lumbar support whatsoever. I hated them.

14. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    Snowman11

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    Funny you say that, we have an Outback for the wifey. I test drove an Impreza and completely ruled it out due to no lumbar support. I thought the seat was comfortable but I like the option to change it on long trips back and forth. Outback comes standard with power seats.

Again, I am actually completely happy with my seats now. However I definitely would have taken the option of power seats if they were available. Absolutely retarded.

Products Discussed in

To Top