1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rocky Road Outfitters - Supersliders

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by BigRedToy, May 12, 2011.

1. May 12, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy [OP] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    I just ordered the Supersliders from Rocky Road Outfitters. The pricing on the website is wrong, it is $100 less than the list price (for Regular cabs.) They are honoring the lower price.

Things I spoke with them about:
    -The slider is "bolt on," which means no welding. Some holes will need to be drilled in both the frame and pinch weld.
    -They choose to mount to the pinch weld so that the sliders are as close to the truck as possible as well as adding additional strength/support. They are not concerned with body flex and frame flex. This is because this section of frame flexes very little.
    -They have had only a few problems with UPS shipping and the powder coat.

When I called them they were able to answer all of my questions and they understood all of my concerns. They seem to get a lot of calls about their mounting system :). I also spoke with them via "Live Chat," that person was also helpful and quick to respond. My Supersliders should be shipped in about two weeks. So far these seem perfect for me.

http://www.rocky-road.com/tacomarockrail.html
    http://www.rocky-road.com/index2.html
    http://www.rocky-road.com/why.html

***I haven't found any posts using Search, in regards to these guys or their products, even though they ship and stock a lot of 4x4 related equipment. I told them I would give them a review.

2. May 12, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    those are the one's i'm going to get, IF i get some....

3. Jun 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy [OP] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    I called Rocky Road Outfitters today. I told them I am not happy with their design and would like a refund. The person on the phone tried to address my concerns, but they were not able to resolve them. They recommended sending an email, which will be read by the Owner and/or his Brother.

I will not be installing the sliders, as they are, for these reasons:

-The sliders mount to the frame using a 2"x6" piece of 3/16 steel on each of the two legs
    -The legs are made from 1"x1" stock with no gussets to the mounting plate
    -The sliders mount to the frame using self taping bolts
    *A Fabricator I have talked to did not recommend drilling and using self taping bolts in the Tacoma C channel frame. This is because of possible cracking or other frame damage. Using a strong bolt paired with washers and nuts would be recommended.

The things I like about the sliders are:
    -How they mount to the pinch weld
    -The weight and build of the main portion of the slider (the most important part, other than mounting)

4. Jun 29, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy [OP] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    The owner responded back to me, essentially stating they stand behind their design and that they will honor any warranty if the slider fails, for the lifetime of the slider, no matter the damage. He also stated they have never had to honor that warranty.

I have no doubt these are stout sliders. They are just not what I was looking for. I did provide them feedback on the things I would like them to do for the future, but for now I am putting them up for sale.

5. Jun 29, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    ask him if you can return them?

then go to avid offroad for some badass sliders:)

and we get 20 percent off:)

Products Discussed in

To Top