1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roku...pretty cool!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Pster, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Aug 25, 2009 at 3:59 PM
    Pster

Pster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Just set up $99 (one time cost) Roku Netflix player to get unlimited streaming movies downloaded wirelessy. Awesome! Have access to all Instant Movies on NetFlix plus 50,000 pay per view movies via Amazon.

If only I was 20 when the digital age began.......sigh

2. Aug 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Roku isn't bad for what it is and is fairly cost effective. I have a media center pc set up right now with an extender. I need to run a dedicated pc for my main tv due to the fact the netflix viewer doesn't work with the extender(damn you silverlight player).

Unfortunately the selection of movies isn't that great with Netflix as far as streaming goes. I have watched a few movies on my pc. The only issue I have run into is some scenes of movies haven't flowed as well as they should.

3. Aug 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Yeah. I don't think NetFlix picture quality is all that great, especially on older movies. But I am proud I got this far and want to try Amazon's quality. It is "the future now" though.

4. Aug 25, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    Incognito

Incognito μολὼν λαβέ

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    See Build thread
    That's a good deal! We use NetFlix quite a bit, so this would be great for us.

5. Aug 25, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    You know for $99 bucks, I am going to buy another one and put it on my 60" Panasonic Plasma as well as my upstairs 40". It's just too easy. I did have to reboot my Roku and Modem/Server, but then they communicated like they were in love. :D

6. Aug 25, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    phynyx38

phynyx38 Believe

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma PreRunner
    I just switched to Netflix and I love the fact that you can download movies. I was thinking about getting the Roku, but wasn't sure. Now it looks like i am going to go for it. How are the downloads if you have the Roku hooked up wireless?

7. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    I have AT&T Uverse with the modem and router in one unit. The wireless feeds are fine, I can't tell any difference and really impractical to run cables. I don't think any of the streaming feeds match DVD quality or HD, but the convenience and economy is pretty damn compelling.

8. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    phynyx38

phynyx38 Believe

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma PreRunner
    Yeah I've got AT&T Uverse also. I think I am going to go ahead and try it out. I'm already getting the downloads, so I might as well go for it. Thanks for the info. :D

9. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Just remember, Netflix streaming selection is limited due to licensing, etc. You can't get every movie via streaming but it is adequate for what it provides.

Also, if you can hardwire instead of running wireless do it. Wireless can be unpredictable and a wired connection is definitely the way to go when watching video.

10. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    phynyx38

phynyx38 Believe

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma PreRunner
    I've noticed that there aren't many new titles, but there are a whole bunch of other movies I'd like to check out. Also if the wireless connection isn't that great, I will try and hard wire it. Thanks for the input.

To Top