1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rollcage is DONE!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mjp2, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Apr 14, 2008 at 4:21 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    MJP2,

Where are you in our lovely state? When you are finished and have her back on the road, I'd love to have a chance to see your rig in person, as well as meet a fellow TacomaWorld member. Then we can go to the dealer for your free oil change.:rofl:

2. Apr 14, 2008 at 7:09 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Very nice!....Maybe when you are done I can have my truck shipped out to you and get that same roll cage installed! :D

3. Apr 14, 2008 at 7:22 PM
    scard

scard Active Member

Member:
    El Centro, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Total Chaos UCA's with Donahue Racing Coilovers
    Magnaflow Exhaust, Total Chaos Upper Control Arms with Donahue Racing Coilovers, Bilstien Shocks in the rear.
    How much did that cost? What kind of suspension do you have?

4. Apr 15, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    I am with on that one Mav, I would love to see that truck in person! Also where are you gong to test that thing at? I dont know of any places that allow trucks like yours to run, the only place I know of is njorvp and they are closing there gates for good in September.:mad:

5. Apr 15, 2008 at 7:24 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 [OP] Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Sunny Perth Amboy, NJ. :puke:

It's actually funny to see the looks on the faces of the locals when I drive (drove) through town with kayaks strapped to the roof of the truck. Or snowboards. Or fishing gear. Or surfboards. Basically, they generally don't understand anything that has to do with enjoying nature. I'm SO not urban it's frightening.

I grew up in Toms River and find myself in that area quite a bit. For testing the truck I'll be in the Pine Barrens a lot. Honestly, it's a damn small state so I'd be happy to drive pretty much anywhere. Whereabouts are you?

6. Apr 15, 2008 at 7:30 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Hrmm...was gonna test at njorvp. :mad:

PA has some technical-driving places where I can learn some low-speed stuff, but I may have to wait until I'm in CA for tech inspection to run the desert and work out the kinks. This is gonna be interesting.

7. Apr 15, 2008 at 7:32 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Cost: $:puke:

Details on the whole build: :cool:

8. Apr 15, 2008 at 7:54 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Holy shit!!! That is absolutely amazing!!!

9. Apr 15, 2008 at 8:04 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    When do you think you gonna have it finished?? Also, where in Mexico is the competition?

10. Apr 15, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    I should be back on the road in about 3 weeks. I'll have 1 trip out to CA for tech inspection and desert testing, and after that I'll have another briefer round of fabrication to fix any weak points and to build a couple of minor things that I already know I want. Round 2 will probably be sometime around September.

The race is in November and it *should* be a 1000km loop from Ensenada to Ensenada. The 1000 race typically alternates 1000km loop races and 1000-mile point-to-point races from one year to the next. Last year's race was the 40th anniversary and they ran a more traditional 1300-mile Ensensada to Cabo San Lucas route and threw off the schedule, so this year's race should be a loop. I'll know more later this year.

The loop courses tend to be more rocky and technical, which is the reason why I'll be swapping to BFG M/Ts for the race rather than running the BFG A/Ts currently on the truck. I'll wear down the A/Ts during testing and will swap out to M/Ts in early October, and at that time I'll also install some Staun internal beadlocks on all 6 wheels.

Are you more mainland or closer to the peninsula?

11. Apr 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    I sold my motocrosser this past July, there is little or no where to ride in Jersey anymore. :mad:

12. Apr 15, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    I've been working with guys that are closely tied to Raceway Park in Englishtown. I know they have a motocross track there, but that doesn't help you much at this point. :eek:

The owner wandered through the shop, saw my truck, and mentioned something to the shop owner about a setting up a mixed on-road/off-road course on the property and running my truck. It was a comment made to me in passing, but now that the truck is nearing completion I'll have to remember to follow up and see if anything comes of it.

The exposure might also help in my soon-to-begin quest for sponsors.

13. Apr 15, 2008 at 10:39 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road

If this happens let me know man I will shoot up to englishtown for that! My wife and I just had a baby back in August so that is just another reason I got rid of the bike, I still have my ridding gear though. :devil:

14. Apr 15, 2008 at 12:45 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I'm a transplant from Virginia, residing in Lovely Woodbury NJ, which is about 9 miles east of Philadelphia, and 12-15 miles south of Cherry Hill.

The Pines are a pretty big stretch of land, I tend to do my wheelin' in and around the Atsion and Batstow areas in the pines, but I really can't think of anything there that would even remotely put your rig through it's paces, hell there's not much there that a good driver even needs 4 hi for, but if you just want to go get a little mud on the tires I'm game, if you want to do stuff that'll test your rig, then I'll just opt for meeting you for a beer instead. I'll bring Homer with me. :)

15. Apr 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    can you do etching on your waterjet?
    BTW that looks awesome!

16. Apr 15, 2008 at 12:58 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Mud on the tires is a good start! :thumbsup: I'll periodically bump this thread with updates as they happen so you'll know when I'm getting close.

When I'm back on the road I'll pull an ndcouch and start another LOOK AT ME!!!!! :humble: thread. ;)

17. Apr 15, 2008 at 1:07 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! To my knowledge it just does cut-through. It actually belongs to the shop doing the fabrication for me. (I wish I had those skills!)

Carroll's Rod & Racecraft
    Spotswood, NJ
    732-416-9887

They'd be happy to take on a cutting job if there's something you need. The amount of detail that machine is capable of is mindblowing! I've seen it cut a decorative rose out of sheet metal and the points on the stem leaves were so exact that they could have been used as fish-hooks!

Figure the thing was able to make my tow hitch plate in a matter of minutes once it was designed on the computer:

IMG_2331_7a1591d1c1521a0803bf166eb1073f1618c3e08a.jpg

What are you looking to have done?

18. Apr 15, 2008 at 8:39 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    That welding is like art work. Damn nice job!!!

19. Apr 16, 2008 at 4:10 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    Thanks for the response! well i'm looking to have a pattern etched into some stainless steel (16ga) and/or .100 Alum. I've got all the CAD files done and ready to go I just need to find someone who is willing to run about 100 of these on a water jet.I have seen Etching done before on a Water jet but I think its kinda out of the norm and it takes great programing/operating skills
    I will look those guys up and see what they can do!
    -Thanks again

20. Apr 16, 2008 at 7:17 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    No problem. Ask for Bob when you call. Meg will probably be the one answering the phone and she'll have to drag him out of the shop. :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top