1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rolled truck - question for those who have filed major claims with their Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 1-3-2-4, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Dec 7, 2008 at 1:53 PM
    1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4 [OP] Squirrel Mincer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    So, I was involved in a (relatively) low speed roll over yesterday on I80 in PA. Long story short, freak snow squall, unsalted roads, erratic drivers. I was doing about 45 mph down a hill when the rear came around due a patch of ice. I was in pretty heavy traffic, so my options were limited. I compensated as best I could, but the speed took me sliding into the grassy median. As I slowed down, now facing opposite the direction I was traveling on the side of a hill, my passenger front tire caught traction in the soft dirt and initiated the roll. 1.75 rolls later, the truck stopped on the driver side. Luckily I didn't cross into oncoming traffic and I was able to climb up and out with the help of a good samaritan holding the door. No injuries, thank God.

Turns out there were 7 accidents within a three mile stretch of road, one accident with 6 vehicles. No one seriously injured. The truck, however, didn't fare as well. Every body panel except for the hood and tailgate was scarred, some worse than others. Based on my initial review last night, both fenders, doors and bed quarters are trashed. Roof is crushed and the roll significantly damaged both A and B pillars. Windshield busted, but all other glass is fine and doors close nicely. Passenger front tire is trashed and rim might be bent. A really skilled body shop could fix it for the right amount of money. Needless to day, I'd rather not have a beat up truck...unless they replace their entire cab which I HIGHLY doubt.

So, has anyone experienced damage similar to mine (sorry, no pics now)? How did you make out with your insurance? I'm getting nervous because I don't want my insurance company to screw me and this is the first accident I've been in - so no experience with this sort of stuff.

It'd really suck to keep paying for a truck that has been so extensively damaged and repaired....:( Oh well, at least I'm here today typing this. Thank God for seat belts (and a soft landing place).

2. Dec 7, 2008 at 1:57 PM
    moserjjx

moserjjx Tacoma Newbie

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4x4
    Weathertech liners, bed mat, rear spring TSB, extra 12V outlets in center console, seat belt chime off
    it sounds like there is a good chance they might total it instead of fixing it. after several rolls the frame could be twisted and a host of other issues not even visible. i bet they total it.

if they do, be sure to get out there now and take anything out you've added that isn't wrecked. and if they total it and you can rob the sun visors - i'm looking for a drivers side! :)

i'd like to see some pics of the truck if you can. we get lots of snow here (wisconsin - in fact snowing right now) so i'm all too familiar with snow related accidents

3. Dec 7, 2008 at 1:59 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    For your sake, I hope they total it.

4. Dec 7, 2008 at 2:41 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Wow. Best of luck with that. Sounds like the truck did it's job and saved you from major damage.

5. Dec 7, 2008 at 2:44 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Did you buy gap insurance?

6. Dec 7, 2008 at 3:14 PM
    1-3-2-4

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    I pulled every part I could from the interior except for my head unit and Sirius tuner. Oh, and the cap is still installed. That will be pulled unless the insurance company gives me what it is worth. I doubt the frame is bad, but you never know.

I'm trying to get pics, so I'll post them when I do. I've driven in snow my whole life with no issues. In fact, I consider myself very capable in the snow. This is my first pickup though, so not much weight in the rear plus stock Dunflops and well, the situation wasn't made any easier. Unfortunately, traffic is what killed me. I would have been able to maintain a steady speed with no distractions. Or, if the slide did happen, I would have had more room. Oh well, sucks. I hate being the guy wrecking during the early winter. I always scoffed at them.

Oh, and sorry for contributing to the Taco's already high insurance rates!

7. Dec 7, 2008 at 5:12 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Glad your OK man. I'm starting to get a little nervous about these Dunlops thay so nicely gave us. I've only driven it in light snow, and they didn't impress me. Like you, I've driven in snow all my life and consider myself more than competent in bad weather. I'm going to use your post as a heads up to be really careful in the snow this year. I just got the truck and really can't afford to put new tires on yet. Good luck with the insurance co.

8. Dec 7, 2008 at 5:18 PM
    1-3-2-4

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    Thanks. Be safe, as usual. The tires seemed OK for normal usage, but I haven't been impressed thus far in the snow. My wife's Suby with snow tires is night and day better. It doesn't help that the truck has almost zero weight over the rear and no LSD (on mine anyway). Oh well, it was slick as hell and I wasn't the only one with issues. The highway looked like a war zone!

9. Dec 7, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    It takes very little to rack up a huge repair bill. I want to say If you rolled it, you totaled it. with all the roof damage and other damaged the labor alone will be astronomical. Glad your not hurt, but I know how it hurts the pride a little. Be firm and thorough with your insurance and make sure everything is understood well before any papers are signed. Good luck

10. Dec 7, 2008 at 5:33 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    well, after hearing your description, i'd bet they total it. it seems that if a truck is rolled, it is almost instantly given a salvage title where im from. Glad no one was injured, i've noticed that the rear on trucks is definitely easy to swap around once the slide is initiated, luckily in my tacoma i drive carefully in the snow/ice and i ditched the dunflops in the first week i owned the truck. those tires did nothing to impress me.

11. Dec 7, 2008 at 8:11 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    my brother rolled an f-150 on its side some years ago. The insurance company fixed it and everything was good for about 5 years untill his back window started leaking. He took it to a few different places and it turned out the window was not able to make a seal with the truck because the roof or cab were slightly bent.
    Glad your ok and let us know how it turns out. Get us some pics when you can.

12. Dec 7, 2008 at 8:13 PM
    106Tacoma

106Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 06 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Every option.
    i got sand bags for the same exact thing, but i did not roll or hit anything i was very lucky.

13. Dec 7, 2008 at 8:20 PM
    TacoNut

TacoNut IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Denver, Co
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB Quicksand
    glad to hear that you're ok.....

probably a total though

14. Dec 7, 2008 at 8:48 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    1-3-2-4...anything to get an 09! LOL. In all seriousness, Im glad your okay. Let's assume they fix it. Are you comfortable with that? If not and have any inclination of selling it after the fact, then I would suggest you get legal advice should your insurance company go with a decision to fix it! Common on, you're the one driving it!!! Well, I hope it all works out for you at the end. Its not a smooth road ahead (no punt intended). Did you have side curtain airbags? I'd like to know if they deployed if you did. Thanks bud. Take care.

15. Dec 8, 2008 at 4:03 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
    i hope your alright i live in pa right by i80. where about did you crash like what exits?

16. Dec 8, 2008 at 6:39 AM
    1-3-2-4

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    Unfortunately I don't have any pictures and the truck is now 150 miles from my house...

I rolled at mile 301.1, east bound I-80. Traveled that road so many times, so I knew it was a matter of time. As those from the area know, the traffic in that area gets crazy: Poconos + Outlets + Camelback ski season + dinner time rush hour in snow on unsalted roads = damned. Oh well.

I'm hoping they total. I'd be OK with the fix if the cab wasn't damaged in the A and B pillars and roof. Doors, fenders, and quarters can be easily removed and replaced, but I'm not optimistic for a quality repair of the cab.

17. Dec 8, 2008 at 7:14 AM
    SilverSeven

SilverSeven Rock Solid Toy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:
    6" 35s mud and scratched to shit
    this is a perfect excuse to build that thing up to rediculous levels..

whats that? ohhh SAS

18. Dec 8, 2008 at 8:25 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Ouch, glad your OK. SOunds like total to me.

If you end up w/ an 09' suppose the VSC/TRAc (at least in 2wd) could help prevent this situation again.

While you were in PA, in Ithaca, the lake makes snow almost every other morning. I know its been beaten to death, but I would seriously consider ditching the stock tires for some better 'A' rated, heavily siped all-season (like Mich LTX) or even better, run winter tires in the future. Good luck.

19. Dec 8, 2008 at 9:09 AM
    1-3-2-4

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Titan King Cab
    A.R.E. tonneau cover
    I typically avoid electronic safety devices, but who knows, it may have helped. In all honesty, I feel the problem was largely related to the tires and low weight over the rear axle. Traffic didn't help.

I like to stay with a Tacoma, but we'll see. There are so many good deals on vehicles right now on account of the economy, I will probably shop around.

20. Dec 8, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.
    First off.....i am very glad that you are OK. Thank goodness gor that

2: they should total a rollover and if they don't, u can fight for it if ur not comfortable getting it fixed

3: it depends on how much u owe to know if it will pay off the loan. GAP ins will cover that if u bought it

4: if they total it, make sure the price they give u is fair. look up 4x4 reg cabs on cars.com, autotrader.com etc. find trucks with very similar miles to urs, print them out. they should give u competative retail price for it. if they don't.....u now have print outs to fax them so they see what similar trucks are going for......they will have no choice but to give u close to that amount

perfect example. my buddy totalled his dodge ram 2500. the ins Co wanted to give him 8,000 for it. his mom looked up similar trucks with similar miles and found them between $11,000 and $14,000. the ins co gave him 12.

the more trucks u find the better.

5: now that thats all said. were u able to pull out the items for cruise control. i would be interested in them if you did

Products Discussed in

To Top