1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof Rack Economy Issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tactitcoma, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Sep 25, 2016 at 8:13 PM
    tactitcoma

tactitcoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma build in progress
    Hello, I'm new here. I own a 2014 doublecab TRD off road. I was wondering if anyone had any intel on roof racks and other external accessories effecting performance/ handling/economy.

Thanks

2. Sep 26, 2016 at 5:47 AM
    Alexely999

Alexely999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4X4
    I have a "rack it" lumber/ladder rack for work and it definitely negatively effects gas mileage. I'd say by 1 or 2 mpg. Might not seem like much but it adds up.

vbibi likes this.
  3. Sep 26, 2016 at 7:49 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I lose about 1.5 mpg when I have my Yakima rack on.

vbibi likes this.
  4. Sep 26, 2016 at 7:50 AM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    unloaded??

vbibi likes this.
  5. Sep 26, 2016 at 7:50 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Yes

Just the bars and the faring

6. Sep 26, 2016 at 7:51 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah.

I lost 3 MPG with Yakima bars on a previous car. Added the wind fairing which helped, but still lost 2.

7. Sep 26, 2016 at 7:52 AM
    Pigpen

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    On my last truck I had the same fuel economy with an unloaded rack and with the Rocket Box mounted to the rack - both with the faring on the rack. No faring = terrible noise and worse mpgs.

8. Sep 26, 2016 at 7:53 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Agreed on the noise.

Alexely999 likes this.
  9. Sep 26, 2016 at 8:01 AM
    zscott

zscott Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    I design and sell roof racks and since the beginning have had one on my truck. I have monitored my mpgs pretty closely and have never really noticed much of an effect. That being said, I have a lot of other modifications to my truck that do affect MPGs.
    I think if you have a close to stock truck and are trying to maximize MPGs then a roof rack with have some effect. If you have oversized tires, heavy armor, a shell, weight in the bed, etc, then you have already lost most the the efficiency.

My truck seems to hit a barrier at about 14 MPGs where the only thing I can do to get it to drop below that range is pull a trailer, or drive in 4 low for a really long time.

In normal highway driving my Mpgs stay right between 15-16 regardless of whether I have the rack on, loaded, unloaded, off, or have 800 lbs in the bed.

10. Sep 26, 2016 at 5:53 PM
    Flying_Taco

Flying_Taco "In there"

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Welcome! Maybe a loss of 1 with my Prinsu rack. Probably a negligible loss considering I lost around 4 mpg with bigger tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top