1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof Top Tent (RTT) Questions

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Randun, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Nov 12, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    RedWings44

RedWings44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off Road 4x4, 2019 MGM 4Runner SR5
    A lot of times weight ratings (if you aren't given more than one) refer to the dynamic weight, or the weight while in motion. Static weight is much higher. For example, my bed rack has a dynamic rating of 200 lbs, but a static weight rating of 500 lbs.

Randun[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  2. Nov 12, 2020 at 1:51 PM
    lpranger467

lpranger467 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawrence
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD
    None yet
    I think a lot of the clamshell RTT's are mounted on racks that sit as high as the cab. Because these just hinge up (not flip over like CVT) then the box (when cloesed) has to be longer than the bed of our trucks to give enough room to lay down inside of them.

Randun[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 29, 2020 at 10:03 AM
    Moondog314

Moondog314 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma LB
    ProComp 2.5", Fabtech Uniball UCA's, OME Spring Packs
    I'm also looking for my tent solution. Do many people successfully mount their RTT's on top of their camper shells without any problems?

4. Nov 29, 2020 at 12:28 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed

If it's ABS like the Yakima/Thule cargo boxes, drill a small hole at the end of each crack to stop it from spreading then, if small enough, glue the crack and fill the drill holes with ABS glue (available in the plumbing section of Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) Get the ABS stuff, not the PVC/ABS combo or whatever). If the crack is larger, drill the end holes to relieve stress then use a bur bit to open it up enough to inject some of the two part epoxy designed for use with ABS. Clean the area with alcohol, not acetone, before applying the glue/epoxy. The slower curing stuff is stronger. If the crack is too large or in a structural area such as near a hinge, on a corner, etc. then get a thin piece of ABS (you can buy it at plastics places, on Amazon, etc). Again relieve the stress at the ends of all cracks by drilling a small hole then cut your repair piece to shape, heat and mold with a heat gun (wear gloves), glue the crack with ABS glue or epoxy then glue the patch into place using the ABS cement. Allow to cure per the manufacturer's recommendations. You can add rivets while gluing if absolutely needed for maximum strength; the glue will cure and seal around them. I've repaired a couple of cargo boxes this way including my own old Space Booster

It's not going to look brand new but you can always have it sprayed with bedliner or do it yourself if it bothers you.

5. Dec 12, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    Armed in Utah

Armed in Utah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah's High Desert.......
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lexus LX 470
    I currently have the smaller Smittybilt...weighs 115# ish

Easy to install...fun to use..cozy for two people

Currently mounted to my Chevy crew cab...below cab level

Have a new teardrop trailer ordered...so this RTT is F/S (central Utah)

[​IMG]

Randun[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top