1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof Top Tents - A fad?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by ThunderOne, Sep 7, 2017.

?

Are RTTs a fad?

1. Yes

2. No

3. :popcorn:

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jan 26, 2018 at 2:45 PM
    m603holden

m603holden @Koditten Pirate Radio member #063

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    I completely disagree. Any separation that breaks the ease of an animal's curiosity always help. Black bears are plenty out here and I haven't had a single one check out the tent. Can't say the same for my ground tent.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  2. Jan 26, 2018 at 3:25 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    You see that video of the guy in the tree stand? That bear didn't seem impeded by the height...

I'm sure you feel safer in the RTT, that's great. I'm sure I would too. I just don't think that the increase in perceived safety from bears is enough to use it as a selling point for the RTT's. There are plenty of other selling points.

3. Jan 26, 2018 at 7:41 PM
    Fiatdave

Fiatdave The predator in her natural environment!

Member:
    First Name:
    David D
    King City Oregon
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD AC-OR-no pavement princes!
    Icon stage 4 lift, CBI T3 bumpers, front and rear w/swing our tire, 2 jerry can holders and camp table, full CBI skid, Snug Top Rebel canopy. Nitto trail grapplers on ATX Baja wheels times 5. Old taco totalled new taco on tap!
    I really like the idea of the RTT, my wife on the other hand is afraid that she will get attacked by a bear or? I have a canopy on my truck now and I am hoping that I can get her out and enjoy some time away from everyone and everything to have some good times with the two of us. Then maybe I can get her into the tent. I am from Alaska and we slept in tents, on boats and on the ground in the summer time. I wouldn't like to meet up with a bear and would probably shit my pants and run it over with my truck as I made my escape, ahh but I think the odds of that happening is pretty slim, I hope?

4. Jan 27, 2018 at 8:21 AM
    frusteri4

frusteri4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno
    Vehicle:
    off road ACLB
    Pelfrey Front, CVT tiny, OME heavy,
    Was thinking of running a “pee hose” out the bottom of the tent and down bellow the truck. I’m plenty toasty with a -35* sleeping bag, and a weather hood. I’m sure it works great, just dont really feel the need to sleep with my piss.

5. Feb 16, 2018 at 4:10 PM
    scBryan7

scBryan7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD V6 4X4 ACLB
    SHELTON PAINTING
    I'm gonna jimmy rig one on my ladder racks using 2by's and ratchet straps. I can fit a 5x7 tent up there, throw a tarp down under the boards and have a covered truck bed.

6. Feb 20, 2018 at 7:44 PM
    kata_batic

kata_batic Member

Member:
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 AC OR
    My .02. It's not a fad.
    But, my thoughts pretty much echo a lot of others: It's a lot of weight, money, etc. for a system that might not really work for some. As a single guy biking/kayaking on my own or +1, a mid rise canopy with a sleep platform would be perfect, while keeping many of the RTT advantages. I can leave my bedding as is, with a platform I still have tons of room for gear, the roof rack is available for bikes/kayaks, I can sleep basically anywhere I park the truck. I'm also saved from some of the classic RTT headaches: removing it from the truck, packing up a wet tent/mildew nastiness, doing a beer run after you set up camp..

That said, if I ever was feelin' a RTT-type system, I'd save up my nickels and go with an AT habitat, Go Fast Camper, or even an Alu-Cab. Way more expensive sure, but a ton more utility, gear hauling and a rack. I know hardshell RTT's with a rack exist, but once you put a bike or kayak on top, they just get comically high.

7. Feb 20, 2018 at 8:05 PM
    chilitoy

chilitoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chili
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma TRD 4 door ugly gold
    just purchased
    I just got got rid rid of my 2006 Ford E250 4x4 van and went to a Tacoma. The main reason I got rid of the van was because every time you want to wheel, bike another location or need to run to town, you have to break down everything. I went back to my pop up camper.

8. Mar 2, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    There are a 1000 different solutions for a 1000 different situations. I know my popup wouldn't last 5 miles on a rough dirt road (I tried). So if you wheel and want to camp, it's not bad option. It's certainly better for the type of adventures where you are going from one place to another and just set up for a night.

If you're the type that does a base camp and goes out for day trips, yeah, an RTT seems like a dumb idea. Either a conventional rv trailer (if it will survive the trip to base camp), or an offroad trailer with a rack and an RTT or similar setup is what you need.

Sleeping in the bed for anyone with a droublecab is a hilariously dumb idea unless a person of your stature needs foot extensions to reach the pedals, but even my xtracab was short on bed space, and I'm only 5'9"... Add another human in there the space is even worse.

TWENTYCO likes this.
  9. Mar 2, 2018 at 4:33 PM
    travis.diller

travis.diller Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Kitsap Peninsula
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco prerunner 4x4
    fully armored, 4.88, 33 skinnies, tundra brakes, a REAL cold air intake.
    TWENTYCO likes this.
  10. Mar 2, 2018 at 9:28 PM
    TWENTYCO

TWENTYCO Tree top flyer

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    North FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road 4X4 Acess Cab
    Plenty mods on many vehicles since 1982. Current: 15 Tacoma 4X4 V6 TRD OR Access Cab Pyrite Mica- Icon full stage 7, All-Pro APEX sliders & rear Expedition Springs + custom Tampa Springs leaf spring upgrades, Timbren bump stops, u-bolt flip, Road Armor front stealth winch bumper & rear steel, Warn Vr 8000, Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/r16, Off Grid Engineering Dual Battery system, SPod 6 switch, 2 pairs Rigid D2 spot & flood in bumper, ARE Expedition Cap, bedglide,Tru Cool 45K GVW add on transmission cooler, Re-gear to 4.56, rigid rear bumper floods, scan guage II, rigid ditch lights. full size spare on matching factory wheel, seat mods/insert, CB w/magnet mount.
  11. Mar 2, 2018 at 9:46 PM
    b-bobkins

b-bobkins Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    I could never justify the price of a RTT but I understand that some just want to be able to get outdoors and glamp it up..I always say to each their own

12. Mar 2, 2018 at 11:16 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Haha glamping. Right.

13. Mar 2, 2018 at 11:36 PM
    whiskeytacos

whiskeytacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    New York
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB Off Road MGM
    OME 886 springs on 90000 struts Total Chaos UCA OME Dakar + AAL energy suspension steering rack and sway bar bushings SCS SR8 wheels Cooper ST Maxx 285/85r16 Pelfreybilt IFS skid plate Pelfreybilt hidden winch mount broken ass winch Softopper All Pro Off Road OTT pack rack
    We've used ours all over the place. I like being able to set up anywhere, and it makes it easier for my wife to be comfortable. When sleeping alone I can curl up most anywhere, but my wife would rather be comfortable and off the ground. We've camped in a ground tent all over the country and finally upgraded last year to a RTT. Mostly it's because of our yearly soggy camping weekend in Vermont in the early fall where we end up off kilter in a ground tent. Now we use it a couple times a month, 8 months or so a year.

The other added benefit is being able to camp on the beaches here in NY without having to sleep in the cab. NY state beaches (the ones that allow 4x4 access) forbid ground tent camping, but campers and RTTs are good to go.

14. Mar 2, 2018 at 11:38 PM
    whiskeytacos

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    New York
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB Off Road MGM
    OME 886 springs on 90000 struts Total Chaos UCA OME Dakar + AAL energy suspension steering rack and sway bar bushings SCS SR8 wheels Cooper ST Maxx 285/85r16 Pelfreybilt IFS skid plate Pelfreybilt hidden winch mount broken ass winch Softopper All Pro Off Road OTT pack rack
    The "overlanding" style is absolutely glamping. It may not be an RV with satellite tv, but the amount of shit we cram in our trucks and tents makes Boy Scouts look like third world savages.

-40, SportsmanJake and honda50r like this.
  15. Mar 13, 2018 at 3:49 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    I think the "glamping" aspect, for me, has more to do with the cost of all that crap, not just the amount of it.

$60 mount for your $200 tablet for nav, a $2500 RTT on your $1000 rack, $1500 bumpers (each), $1000 rock sliders, $200 traction aids and the $50 mount for them, $50 for a shovel mount, and it seems like a lot of guys are throwing this stuff on their brand new $50k rigs.

It boggles the mind how quickly all that adds up.

whiskeytacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Mar 15, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Right. But there's a few steps between being an Instagram/YouTube warrior overlander and the people who use RTT as a tool in their outdoor lifestyle. This was commenting on RTT in general .

whiskeytacos[QUOTED] and LTDSC like this.
  17. Mar 15, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    These poll results are :duel: inconclusive

18. Mar 15, 2018 at 11:14 AM
    Tocamo

Tocamo .

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bug-out vehicle
    If I was into Camping like I used to be, I'd be rocking those in a Heartbeat. :cheers:

Now I don't camp at all, but am thinking of picking one of these up as a "just in case" measure!

https://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Tru...137447&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=truck+tent&psc=1

Or I might consider this, but doubt it, probably a little cramped! (Might be good for Bears)

https://www.amazon.com/FBSport-Infl...F8&qid=1521137447&sr=8-13&keywords=truck+tent

19. Mar 15, 2018 at 10:52 PM
    whiskeytacos

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    New York
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB Off Road MGM
    I agree with you. I'm not making any money off of the fun we have, and I'm lucky enough to have a career that allows me the freedom to take random trips. Not being dependent on YouTube views or IG followers for income makes what we do more fun.

DangerClose and ChadsPride like this.
  20. Mar 16, 2018 at 12:47 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Welp, I did it...called up Tuff Stuff this afternoon and they said they only had 2 Delta tents left (the 3 person one on their website that they sell for $900).

Gave me $100 off for picking it up in person and paying with cash, solid deal. They've only got one more in stock as of the end of today so call 'em in the morning if you want that last one lol
    Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 7.29.45 PM.jpg

To Top