1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof top tents, why?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by H20TACO, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Jan 7, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    Wsteven

Wsteven Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Working on them
    It all depends on Location and what I'm doing. as for Taking the RTT off and putting it back on it is simple so simple I just have a small electric cable lift and straps undo the 6 bolt down points and lift it right up and lock it in place out of the way until needed again. it only takes a few minutes to set up camp and most of the time when we set up camp we stay there for a bit anyways and take the bike out on a trail or just hike to a good fishing spot.
    Ground not level? no problem.... I have had Roof Top tents for 7 years now, Yes I do use Ground tents when called for..

2010-08-12_19-00-50_29.jpg
    IMG_2875.jpg
    FJ4.jpg

DavesTaco68 and levie125 like this.
  2. Jan 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    Pfft...Superlube on your leaf spring bushings and you're good to go :thumbsup:

It's also FDA approved in case you need lube for... o_O

uploadadventure likes this.
  3. Jan 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM
    El Taco Diablo

El Taco Diablo Professional Pinstriper

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt - KN6DZP
    Hughson, CA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse Red DC, 5vz-fe, 4wd swap, LT, dual case, F/R locked
    Just 3 tons of fun!!!

:rofl:

uploadadventure likes this.
  4. Jan 7, 2020 at 6:23 PM
    yorttam83

yorttam83 Chaotician

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Douglas, MA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GX460
    Soccer Mom Delete Kit
    I'm relatively new to the rooftop tent thing, but I own one now since this past Spring/ Summer and have been tent camping for a long time.. Never minded my big Coleman ground tent, air mattress, etc, but man was that a lot of stuff to pack up and load up.. Not to mention dry out if put away wet or in a rain storm. My RTT has been fantastic. Keeps me off the ground and can set up my truck as a little base camp. Tent stays on the truck from Spring time to Fall, and is only a few inches above my roof line thanks to my RCI mid height rack. Leaves me plenty of room under the tent for bins, etc, and also can see out of 70% of my back window while keeping a lower profile for the tent.. Sets up in a few minutes, takes down in about the same, no mud, dirt, etc. Leveling the truck out is no big deal.. I keep some cut up boards to level out when needed.

The biggest thing that is a huge plus for me is it's always on the truck, and my bins are always packed and ready to go. I have a 2 year old son, and am going through a divorce so I am not spending as much time as I used to with him. To be able to pick him up from daycare, or take him out for a quick night camping (without trying to remember to pack everything) is huge. And he LOVES the tent! He thinks it's the coolest thing, and I'm not gonna lie, it makes me feel like a kid again in my old tree fort.

I still have my ground tent, and sometimes bring it, but usually doesn't get used anymore.. I LOVE my RTT :thumbsup:

There's no wrong way to camp - whatever works best for your needs, go for it. The biggest thing is just to get out there. Some of the best sleep I've had has been while camping.

Tuesday!, Ghost_ed., Malvolio and 6 others like this.
  5. Jan 7, 2020 at 8:07 PM
    Justanotherhemi

Justanotherhemi Space Cowboy/Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick James
    Area 52 (because area 51 was full)
    Vehicle:
    Intelligent Life Exists

I personally would go with the left.

geekhouse23[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 8, 2020 at 6:01 AM
    WreckedRooster

WreckedRooster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM DCSB
    Made this, this past year from stuff laying around. Keep it at the deer lease, but it will be going on some camping trips as well.

part0.jpg

7. Jan 8, 2020 at 6:13 AM
    WreckedRooster

WreckedRooster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM DCSB
    This one stays at the lease now. I have another setup that I got for Christmas that slides into your receiver hitch but can't find a pic. Okay if you are on the move, but not okay if you are stationary for awhile.

IMG_0009.jpg

YF_Ryan and fatfurious2 like this.
  8. Jan 8, 2020 at 7:36 AM
    TacoDia

TacoDia Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB SR5 V6 OME Kit H-Dakars
    For those calling RTTs a fad or for the gram etc. Keep in mind, once upon a time teardrops were considered a fad too and they have seen a boom in use lately. Even more-so RTTs aren't a new thing, teardrops, RTTs and other generally small footprint camping styles fell out of favor when gas prices didn't really matter and you could drag a 20+ foot trailer from coast to coast for b/c gas was less than dollar per gallon. Again the reoccurring theme is "different strokes for different folks". Find the style(s) that fit you and roll with it.

9. Jan 8, 2020 at 9:30 AM
    Denny Crane

Denny Crane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tacoma TRD Off Road DCLB
    Oooops. Sorry, I'm a little late to the party. Just bought my Tacoma a few months ago.

sdsurfer[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 11, 2020 at 8:29 AM
    disconnected

disconnected LOST

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Off-Road
    Icon 2,5'' coilovers and rear springs, RCI full skids, caliraised sliders, Warfab hitch skid, UpTop roof rack, kb voodo bed rack, Diode Dynamis Pro fogs, Seat Jackers with Molle, taco garage mounts..... and other stuff
    I’m getting one . Smitty Bilt is < 900.00. Hotels in Moab are 200.00 or more. < 5 nights it’s paid for.

We where on a 17 day Colorado/Utah trip in September. We had a ground tent. It was always a race to find a spot, get the tent up before dark. My wife had to have an air mattress. After all of this every day, I made the decision.

RTT can hold all bedding, can be set up in the dark, is the cost of about 5 Hotel nights. It’s a no-brainer for travel with wife and kids.

If your staying in the same spot, a ground tent will be fine.

9E1AC73F-E942-436F-B4C8-D94AE288BFFB.jpg

But if everyone loved RTTs we would have to complain about something else.

11. Jan 11, 2020 at 8:33 AM
    TheCochese

TheCochese The Bronze T4R OG

Member:
    Attempting to flee the south
    Vehicle:
    Cavalry Blue soccer machine
    Fine corinthian leather
    Yup, there were roof top tents in the 1950s. Instagram has certainly helped the industry, but it didn't create it.

Me, personally? I'd love to fab a trailer that housed a kitchen and you could sleep on top. I've seen some of the builds the Aussies do, and it's really impressive. Really pricey, though.

12. Jan 11, 2020 at 8:46 AM
    levie125

levie125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD
    You sir, get the award for the most retro mountain bike I've seen in use ever!

Wsteven[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 11, 2020 at 8:49 AM
    disconnected

disconnected LOST

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Off-Road
    Icon 2,5'' coilovers and rear springs, RCI full skids, caliraised sliders, Warfab hitch skid, UpTop roof rack, kb voodo bed rack, Diode Dynamis Pro fogs, Seat Jackers with Molle, taco garage mounts..... and other stuff
    90’s cannondale killer v?!

14. Jan 11, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    More likely shoot your foot.

Malvolio likes this.
  15. Jan 11, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    Phessor

Phessor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD XTra Cab
    Stuff
    I'm short, so I may be safe ;)

Malvolio and bagleboy[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Jan 11, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    Agreed, but the childish animosity is pretty widespread on both sides if this thread is representative(and it seems to be). I'll probably end up with some diy version of a topperlift having the actuators buried in the bedsides but maybe in the 24-30" lift range with some side shelves. Being a daily mine can't have a permanent roof attachment and no garage door tall enough to drive under with it on to hang from the ceiling. Lots of good ideas but none will work for everyone. Rtt's are heavy and not cheap but if you have the means to enjoy one they certainly have appeal.

Thunder Fist likes this.
  17. Jan 11, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    photogr4x4

photogr4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Nada
    Like a lot of people here I can see the allure of a roof top tent. It's quick and easy once it's set up on your truck. I also see the animosity spoken of in the past couple comments. If you're the only one sleeping in it, or you, your partner, dog, kids, what have you then why should other people care? I sleep in a ground tent because that's the tent I have for backpacking and it's just fine for me so that's really all I need to worry about. I would like a hammock at some point though... o_O

Edit: and if you care for a RTT well and remove it as needed and you don't mind doing that then that's just bonus points for you. You've purchased a product and you know how to take care of it. Lots of people don't know how to take care of the products they purchase.

18. Jan 11, 2020 at 8:53 PM
    Wsteven

Wsteven Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Working on them
    Yep I like it because unlike friends with their new bikes I don't worry about crashing it or getting a scratch, the back Fox shock is simple to rebuild and the fatty head shock in front the same with the hydraulic brakes were good in mud or whatever. Worn out 4 derailleurs sets 3 entire front and back sprockets sets and lost track of wheel bearings and brake pads ? lost track of that.

19. Jan 17, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    Buckfat

Buckfat Well-Known Member

Member:
    N GA
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB OR
    Would like the rtt but going to ground it for now. See how it goes. There are a lot of places i can take a tent down by the river or creek that my truck can’t go!

20. Feb 9, 2020 at 9:12 PM
    Teke

Teke Soft-Roader :)

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1996 Tacoma SR5 Sold
    Couple buddies and I tried tent camping for the first time and it was pouring down rain every night but it was a lot of fun. Definitely something that takes getting used to. Pic is of our setup, somehow we found trees perfectly spaced to fit us all.
    08D2BC8D-E27A-4CAB-B60C-4A35B2CBB01A.jpg

Gunshot-6A[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top