1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rotors and pads?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by prince6969, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jul 17, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    prince6969

prince6969 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    stock
    Looking for some help on ordering new rotors and pads for front of my 2007 double cab, 4x4. Is it best to order them from somewhere and then take it to my mechanic for install? Is OEM the best way to go? I don't really do any towing but I just want a solid braking system. Also, does it matter that I will be switching from the stock 16's wheels and tires to 17's?

Thanks!

2. Jul 17, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Brakes are fairly simple but a vital part of the vehicle. If you're not comfortable with the install, have someone install them for you or find a friend that has done it before and have them help out. Good learning experience.
    I went from the stock 16's to 17's on my '07 recently without any problems. I stayed with OEM wheels though and overall tire height was unchanged.

3. Jul 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    I purchased the EBC rotors (ebcbrakes.com) that are slotted and dimpled along with the EBC Greenstuff 7000 front brake pads. Total cost was around $325 for parts and shipping off of Ebay from discounttiredirect. The rotors and pads are great. Change out is simple. You remove the wheel, remove the caliper (two bolts) and lift it up and hold it while you remove the rotor (it just slides off the lugs). Then you slide the new rotor on. Replacing the pads is simple too. There should be a write up around here somewhere. Just make sure you bleed the brakes, there is a bleeder valve with a rubber boot on the caliper, you remove the rubber nipple, open the valve a 1/4 turn and bleed away. Parts you'll need are a brake bleeder kit (optional but cheap and easy), C clamp, needle nose pliers and basic tools. Check the write up on here. Really it's about a 45 minute job and thats taking your time. Hope that helps.

4. Jul 17, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    I'm buying a set of DBA 4000 Series Slotted Rotors...matched up with either Hawk PC (Performance Ceramic) Pads Yellow series or EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads...

that will be an awesome setup...

a few of my friends are currently running this setup and its night and day compared to OEM...:D

5. Jul 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    call Edwin at raceshopper.com.......best prices and customer service i have ever seen as far as pads and rotors go.

im running their s/p slotted rotors and some hawk pads.......great combo.

To Top