1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rotors to match AKEBONO pads

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jolly Onion, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Oct 16, 2016 at 8:21 PM
    Jolly Onion

Jolly Onion [OP] Cheap is not Good & Good is not Cheap

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Forest Hills, N.Y
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 6cyl crewcab
    Weather was nice, and I went to work on the Taco

Some pics.
    7.jpg12.jpg6.jpg9.jpg1.jpg5.jpg8.jpg

3.jpg
    1016161317.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  2. Oct 17, 2016 at 6:06 PM
    rmorit_DC_04

rmorit_DC_04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab - new to me in 2015
    ARE Tonneau Cover
    I also chose the akenobo with centric high carbon alloy rotors on my 2004 double cab. For me, they work well, especially when pulling my boat this summer (16 foot inboard/outboard).

Everything from Rock Auto.

3. Oct 18, 2016 at 2:29 AM
    gman2530

gman2530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner

Very nice pics!!!!!
    Can you please me know where you picked up the pads?? I want to do this job soon..

Thank you.
    GaryIMG_1977.jpg

4. Oct 18, 2016 at 7:22 AM
    Jolly Onion

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Forest Hills, N.Y
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 6cyl crewcab
    I bought them from RockAuto (pads, rotors and the new pin set).

I am sure other vendors sell them too, but I have been buying from RockAuto for years, good service and pricing.

Nice truck you have there. Always liked that color

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  5. May 29, 2018 at 6:47 PM
    aknickyota22

aknickyota22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    Bilstein Suspension, All Pro Baja Bumper, and more
    @Jolly Onion

Thread reserection here, but curious how the centric rotors with the akebono pads have held up for you?

6. May 29, 2018 at 7:23 PM
    Jolly Onion

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Forest Hills, N.Y
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 6cyl crewcab

The Akebono brakes stop very well, have zero dust, no squeaks after 1.5years, and still have plenty of meat.

The rotors are straight and shiny and held true.

Mind you that I drive in and around NYC = constant stop and go, bumps and potholes, and sudden stops for not running over millennials with their headsets on, typing away at their I phones and crossing streets.

Just replaced my Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires after 75K miles with Kumho Crugen HT51's. Time will tell if they will last as long as the Michelin's, but at half the cost and rated at 720/A/A...I bought them. They are very comfortable and balanced with minimum weights.

Hope this helps.

Alex

BillsSR5 and Pervy like this.
  7. May 29, 2018 at 7:50 PM
    aknickyota22

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    Thanks for the info, helps a lot! It looks like I might be going with that pad/rotor combo.

8. May 30, 2018 at 10:33 AM
    Jolly Onion

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Forest Hills, N.Y
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 6cyl crewcab

It is a good overall choice.

Quality products at reasonable prices.

You may want to buy the installation kit for a few $'s too. Might as well. 2 of my brake pins were bent. When I replaced them, the brake pads were hanging true on them.

Good day

Alex

9. May 30, 2018 at 12:35 PM
    Luv my yota

Luv my yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 turd lift 33's
    Kings,total chaos uppers, Deavers, JBA headers, Borla exhuast, engine mods, DC power 270 amp alt, 2k watts of sound, gps alarm.
    I don't personally think akebono has gone downhill but carquest used to have ones w/a different box and anti seize + they had an extra backing plate to cover the riveted one on the back of the pads, I wonder why, to cut cost? However I regret after years of running them I bought ebc green stuff with their slotted rotors and got a rotor that was way,way warped and auto anything accused me of improper install, lol... I had to call EBC personally as my family business has been brakes and alignment for 50+ years they realized I'm no liar and I talked with r&d for hours and they had a set for the one side at my door next day, had to be a real squeaky wheel to have anyone give a crap,Lesson learned; they lured me in after years of brake knowledge and they look cool but they overheat very easy, and they claim 0 to very little dust!, not the case! With akebono I could run any decent rotor and could stop like I saw the Devil and have almost no dust between carwashes. I'd be lucky to wash my truck clean and go 1 lap around the block without dusting my entire front rims to the tire, all EBC's lies!!! I don't usually say bad about companies but auto anything sold me red pads with slotted rotors and I recieved damn green pads which I don't believe are the same (and EBC swears they are) I call bullshit.. About 270.00 wasted so trust the guys here recommending akebono they are the best and they were the TRD upgrade from toyota in the beginning before toyota stopped selling those pads as they last about three times what factory pads last without dust. Toyota doesn't like to lose a penny so the said bye to Akebono! Thier loss becuase they won't get my money unless I have to.

10. May 30, 2018 at 1:04 PM
    Jolly Onion

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Forest Hills, N.Y
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 6cyl crewcab
    In my experience, we do not always get what we pay for.

Most of the shiny, pretty parts at high prices, are window dressing items with one aim for the seller.......to part us away from our hard earned dollars. Example being slotted rotors. Average person (me) neither needs it nor should want it. Same with high priced rotors, etc. The other end of the spectrum sucks too = cheap parts at a great price, no thank you.

Seems like with most things in life, when in doubt, the middle of the road is where I want to be.

Just bought a set of Kumho Krugen Ht51's at $97 dollars each from Pep Boys. I do not need nor want $200 plus tires on my truck.

Good day.

Alex

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Luv my yota[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. May 30, 2018 at 4:02 PM
    aknickyota22

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    Ended up ordering the centric high carbon rotors paried with the Akebono pads. Also got the installation kit with new pins and clips. Hopefully these will hold up well. Do the Akebono pads come with shims and is there anything else I'll need to do this job?

12. May 30, 2018 at 5:22 PM
    Jolly Onion

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Forest Hills, N.Y
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 6cyl crewcab
    I do not recall if they came with shims (age related), but you can use the shims from the ones on the old brakes. A little of the special grease on the back of the shims is helpful (between the shim and the caliper piston).

You will be very happy.

I used Permatex anti seize on the pins just to be sure they slide free and do not rust. I always put some on the back of the wheels too.

You do not need anything else for the brake job. I replaced the flexible brake lines going to the calipers and replaced the brake fluid a few weeks after the brake job. But that is not necessary.

Alex

13. May 31, 2018 at 3:18 PM
    Pervy

Pervy Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2.4 Tacoma, 3.4 4Runners
    Switched to Akebono brake pads earlier this year for my Taco. Prior I had a lot of brake squeals from using cheapo ceramic pads from Autozone, but that all went away after switching to the Akebonos. Only thing I wish is that at their price point they could at least also include shims.

Being ceramic pads they don't stop as well as say semi-metallic pads I've tried, and are comparable to the other ceramic pads I've tried prior. Very minimal to negligible amount of brake dust. The mass of the brake pads themselves are much less then the other pads I tried to (I'd guess roughly 30%-40% smaller), so time will tell how well they will last me compared to other brands. So far so good though.

14. Aug 18, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    can u give us any updates on the Kumho Crugen ht51 tires as compared to the Michelin LTXs u once had, im shopping for some new tires and the Kumho ht51 are enticing for the price and the raving reviews ive read. also im a Michelin LTX fanatic so im looking for some verified positive experiences on other tires before I pull the trigger on non Michelin tires.

15. Aug 18, 2018 at 1:21 PM
    Jolly Onion

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Forest Hills, N.Y
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 6cyl crewcab

Sure thing

I replaced the Michelin LTX's with close to 80,000 miles with the Kumho Crugen HT51's about 1500 miles ago.

Michelin: still had thread but the dry rot was bad and I did not want to risk a blowout. They also started slipping in rain. IMHO thy are the best tires for our trucks and I have spoken to many with other decent brands ( Sumitomo, Cooper, etc.

Kumho Crugen HT51's: They look like a copy of the Michelin's. I like them very much. Comfortable ride, great handling, balanced with little weight (I always ask the tire shop to rotate the tire on the rims if too much weight is on one side), 720AA rated, and they are half the price of Michelin's. I bought them at $97 each at pep Boys (purchased them online and picked them up). Had them balanced and installed for $100 at another place.

The only drawback I have noticed so far, is the Kumho's slip at times leaving stop signs, lights on wet surfaces, the Michelin's never did up to 50-60K miles.

Conclusion: The Michelin's are better tires. But not twice as good as Kumho's given the price difference, 2014 Truck and driven in crappy NYC and surrounding roads. So in my case, I am well pleased with the Kumho's

Hope this helps

Alex

BillsSR5[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Aug 18, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    BillsSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    thanx for the reply, so in comparison the Michelin LTX are still the better man if you want to spend the extra money for them

17. Aug 18, 2018 at 1:41 PM
    Jolly Onion

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Forest Hills, N.Y
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 6cyl crewcab

If $ is not an issue......YES and proven to last a long time.

Time will tell how the Kumho's will wear, and how long they will last.

But at $97 each, they were a great buy and I am very happy with them.

18. Aug 18, 2018 at 2:42 PM
    hubcapsc

hubcapsc Un-Known Stranger

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upstate South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2002 6cyl 4x4 manual
    >>Proof? Rotors don't warp, they gain material through transfer from the pads.

>huh ? if you think that... there's likely no help for you.

A lot of people think that rotors don't typically warp...

the majority of brake discs which are diagnosed as "warped" are actually simply the product of uneven transfer of pad material...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brake

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

-Mike "I read about it on the innernet..."

19. Aug 18, 2018 at 3:03 PM
    BillsSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    thanx again for the response and info. if not too much trouble can u post a few pictures of the Kumho tires on your truck, also when u buy from PEPBOYS online can u still purchase the road hazard warranty without having them do the mounting install they seem to have the best prices for the tires but I hear a lot of horror stories about their lack of mechanical prowess and bad reviews with their stores in my area.

20. Aug 18, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    Jolly Onion

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Forest Hills, N.Y
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma 6cyl crewcab

I will post pictures of the tires in the net few days.

I did get the road hazard warranty with the purchase of the tires. $97 was the price for online purchase. In store i more (I do not remember the %).

People have different experiences with vendors, and I try not to be negative re vendors etc. I did have the tires balanced at another place.

Forgot to mention that on several occasions , I drove through puddles of water on highways at 40 - 60 MPH, the Kumho's steered straight just like the Michelin's. The issue with "slipping from dead stops with hard acceleration" is me testing the tires.

IMHO, they should be right up there with the Michelin's.

PS: The Akebono brake pads and Centric rotors are working great. Truck stops in very short distances. This set is something I am very happy to have purchased/installed.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018

Products Discussed in

To Top