1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough Icon Coilover Suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by mxracer250f, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Dec 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    mxracer250f

mxracer250f [OP] Member

Member:
    First post in a long while,

I installed a set of Icon Coilovers about 1 year ago on my 2008 DC Prerunner along with Bilsteins in the rear. Over time i've become increasingly unhappy with how rough the Icon's are during regular road driving. I used to take my truck offroad often on small trails and while motorcycle riding but that has fallen off quite a bit. At this point I feel every single bump and crack in the road while driving on the street. Everyone who rides in the truck makes a comment about how rough it is, and i'm ready for a change. :eek:

What sort of suspension should I buy for the plushest ride while still keeping a 2-3" lift up front? I have 33" BFG A/T's that very mildly rub while backing at full lock, so I don't want to drop down any further. I don't plan on offroading too much in the future so offroad performance isn't much of a concern either. I just want a nice ride to go along with my awesome looking truck.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Dec 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    King's would probaly be more "plush" due to the progressive valving vs. the Icon's Digressive valving.

Also, you could look into a softer spring rate (not sure what the stock spring rate is).

As for the rear, I believe the Deaver's replacement pack for the 2nd Gens is the softest spring with a mild-lift

Edit: Since you're a prerunner you could look into some 4" Lift spindles & take all the preload out of the C/O's

Edit Edit: See post below mine:cool:

3. Dec 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    LED Spyder Tail Lights, Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear 5125s, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 33x12.50R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack, Glassworks Front Fenders, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, MBRP Catback Exhaust, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, AFE Stage2 CAI, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper
    Well I think any coilover that is set to 2.5-3" will give a rougher ride. It's just the way of lifts. What you could do though, is get some 4" spindles, let all of that preload out of the coilovers to maybe soften them up some. Myself- I'm gonna get spindles some day, but until then, I'm gonna have to settle for revalving my shocks. Downsouth Motorsports has a custom valving set up that makes the on-road performance a little smoother while not changing the offroad performance. Best of luck to ya in your search for soft rides :)

4. Dec 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    blair

blair Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 PreRunner
    Maybe the coilovers need a nitrogen recharge or need to be rebuilt. Over time the gas pressure goes down, maybe recharging them will help.

If not, I'm happy with my Bilstein 5100s in the front and Wheelers progressive 3 leaf aal in the back. Excellent ride quality

To Top