1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough Idle - 2018 Tacoma Sport DC 4x4

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Oceanrunner, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Dec 13, 2017 at 11:01 AM
    Oceanrunner

Oceanrunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just bought a new 2018 Tacoma Sport DC 4x4

The idle feels rough while not moving. I'm not worried about the noise just the feel. The tach is steady. I only have 125 miles on it.

I don't remember my 2012 doing this.

Just wanted to know if this is normal?

2. Dec 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    A lot of us (myself included) experienced rough idle due to the crankshaft sensor issues (some were recalled, but most were not and many were still failing). But hard for me to believe they still didn't have that issue ironed out by the 18s. 150 miles on it and it'd be going into the dealer to take a look at it though. If you have one (or even if you don't) I would suggest getting you a bluetooth OBD2 device that you can connect to your ECU and Android or Apple phone and read from the PIDs. This would give you some sense as to what may be causing the issue such as A/F ratios, exhaust, etc.,

3. Dec 13, 2017 at 12:42 PM
    Oceanrunner

Member:
    It does occur when warm as well. It's not so much that I feel it in the peddle as I can feel it it in the truck. I am ignoring all engine noise when referring to this rough idle.

Whats the best OBD2 device for this truck that's bluetooth?? I had one for all my other cars as well and there very handy.

4. Dec 13, 2017 at 12:54 PM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Any of them with the ELM interface will likely work just fine. I use Carista which also has the ability to customize things like your blinkers, seat belt dings, etc., Then I use OBD Fusion (I'm an iPhone guy, but you can use Torque on Android). The Carista has held up well to thousands of hours of use over the last year and has good refresh rates. On the OBD Fusion app, you can buy a $10 upgrade that gets you access to all of Toyota's custom PIDs so you can read literally any sensor in the truck real-time on a dashboard as well as log data for analysis later if you want.

On the topic of the idle though, one thing I personally noticed with this truck is that it is the most finicky when it comes to fuel of any vehicle I've ever owned. Generally I just threw whatever 87 octane was around and never thought twice but I guess between the Atkinson stuff and all the variables and compression at play in this NA engine, combined with the complex ECU it does perform markedly different on different fuel brands and octanes. These days I stick to the golden (priced) Shell VPower exclusively as it's what I get the smoothest performance out of (and the extra power from a tune for the higher octane is nice as well...)

5. Dec 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM
    Zandroid

Zandroid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zander
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD-OR DCSB 44
    King Ext Coilovers LR-UCAs BAMF Relocation w/ 12" 2.5 King Pelfreybilt Armor: Bumper, Skids, Sliders Prinsu Roofrack ARB Snorkel & Twin Compressor sPod
    My truck vibrates when idling too. If I lightly touch the gas (while holding the brake) it goes away. I looked up this issue here but didn't see anything before soooooo yeah. I'm interested in learning more about this problem.

6. Dec 13, 2017 at 2:10 PM
    Oceanrunner

Member:
    Thanks for the replies. I'm still on my first free tank of gas from the dealer and when I called service this afternoon to mention the problem I asked what type of octane to use he said regular. My old 2012 needed mid grade or better. The service adviser did say that rough idle is normal for these motors. I made an appointment to go in tomorrow anyway.

Same here Zandroid. When I'm on the accelerator it goes away.

I did run into this thread about the Crank Shaft Positioning sensor. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...nsor-problem-in-the-2016-trd-off-road.404275/

7. Dec 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Yeah, I would really hate to think they still have the CKP sensor issues in 2018s but it's a cheap part (~$99) to replace. So many folks have just replaced them on their own with many having positive results. Your truck shouldn't idle rough imo

shakerhood likes this.
  8. Dec 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM
    Dc2tacoma

Dc2tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's normal. Atkinson's cycle.

nomnomtaco likes this.
  9. Dec 13, 2017 at 3:46 PM
    flatus

flatus Well-Known Member

Member:
    biloxi,ms
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB 4wd Auto
    Waiting for bank account to grow
    You can definitely have a rough idle and still have a steady tachometer. My wife's 2015 Tahoe had bad motor mounts that caused a rough idle/vibration while sitting in gear. RPM gauge always remained steady though. Motor mounts were replaced and rough idle went away. Several months later ,rough idle came back and than the Tahoe went away.

10. Mar 2, 2018 at 4:01 PM
    yos21

yos21 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma
    TRD Sport
    Bought my ‘18 TRD Sport and want to throw this truck off a cliff. Idles rough (sure some bozo is going to say something about the tac), feels like a little old lady shivering in the cold, then vibrates at 2,000 RPM, while accelerating, constantly hunts for the right gear, touch screen and audio controls are for crap (somehow improved on the 4runner with rubber grometed knobs). I expected so much more for near $40K!

No one had any answers. Dealership service told me to drive another Tacoma and said “Well since the other trucks do that, we’re out of ideas.” Filed a case with Toyota North America, said “Since the dealership service had no ideas, we have no solution to this problem.”

So, although their truck has a known issue, no one at Toyota is investigating why the D-45 or the Tacoma has this issue. Experienced a Highlander, 4runner, Land Cruiser, Sequioa and Tundra. All solid except for my truck! Lucky me!

11. Mar 2, 2018 at 4:24 PM
    1bad2k

1bad2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Stock cam?..........:D

hiPSI likes this.
  12. Mar 2, 2018 at 4:53 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Can you take the Truck to a different Dealer?

13. Mar 2, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    Tehkoema

Tehkoema Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa, ON
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP 4Runner
  14. Mar 2, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    NoOne

NoOne El Taco Guapo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ø ©
    Gulf South
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCLB OR (AT) - MGM
    2018 SR5 - (Sold) 2018 OR (or what?) Louisiana Edition
    I have the same thing in mine. Thought it was odd, but was told here and dealer that the occasional rough idle is normal. It’s like an occasional stumble, but you’re right... the tach doesn’t show a drop.

15. Mar 2, 2018 at 5:33 PM
    unclezippy

unclezippy Active Member

Member:
    Im with you man...very similar problems......just ordered the ov tune.....should do the trick.....

yos21[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Mar 2, 2018 at 5:36 PM
    Kremtok

Kremtok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD
    2018 Triumph Street Triple RS
    $40k and you didn’t test drive the damn thing?

Ruggybuggy likes this.
  17. Mar 2, 2018 at 5:42 PM
    The-Stig

The-Stig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road / Access Cab / Long Bed
    I've noticed that even the day I got the truck home (brand new) if I let it sit and idle for about 10 minutes, it would go into a different idle "pattern". Some people have said here in this thread that it's a cleaning cycle. It doesn't bother me at all, because as soon as I drive the truck it stops doing it. I'm convinced that it's some kind of intentional function of the truck. Why else would it be doing it consistently when left idling? Seems to do it by design.

It idles normally until I let it sit for awhile, then it occasionally goes into a different type of idling.

18. Mar 2, 2018 at 5:52 PM
    unclezippy

unclezippy Active Member

Member:
    Seriously, save yourself the aggravation that I endured...decide if you want the truck, install the ov tune....
    I decided I love the truck enough to cough up another $785...looking forward to it now....

stevotivo12 and yos21[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Mar 2, 2018 at 6:28 PM
    yos21

yos21 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma
    TRD Sport
    OV Tune? Sorry, new to the thread, can you expand on this and maybe suggest where to find it? Also like the idea of bringing it to another dealer. If they have it in the system, they might ask why xx dealer wasn't able to do anything about it.

Love the replies from the folks in the shadows who have nothing invested in this issue. My fav is the DB who asked if I test drove. Actually I ordered the truck on Amazon...site unseen, thank god it had all four wheels on it!!

20. Mar 3, 2018 at 2:31 AM
    unclezippy

unclezippy Active Member

Member:
    Here ya go....https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/tacoma/products/toyota-tacoma-2grfks-calibration

stevotivo12 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top