1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough morning idle

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mcguire, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Aug 6, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    mcguire

mcguire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    Rothesay New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma
    sky jacker leaf pack,crappy crap spacers,3"body lift,33" trail diggers,K&N intake,magnaflow muffler and high flow cat.
    Ok so after doing some looking around i found that the 99 3.4 doesnt have a cold start injector.So what could it be causing my problem? It only happens first thing in the morning, it will run rough and idle around 700rpm when it used to start and idle around 1800rpm. And being that its summer i would really like to fix this before winter hits. Has anyone had this problem? Or is there a cold start valve? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Aug 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    Well, I can tell you what NOT to do. Mine was running pretty rough in the mornings (Mine would idle at 1600rpm), so I decided to run some seafoam through the vacuum line. It worked, but now I'm idling wayyyyy too low at start up and at stop lights (just above 500rpm). It's at the threshold where the truck will start vibrating if it idles for too long.

I would recommend cleaning the throttle body plate. That did absolute wonders for my fuel efficiency, maybe it would help with your start up.

3. Aug 6, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    mcguire

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma
    sky jacker leaf pack,crappy crap spacers,3"body lift,33" trail diggers,K&N intake,magnaflow muffler and high flow cat.
    I cleaned the throttle body when i did the MAF. But it was doing this prior to the cleaning.I was hoping that would have done the trickbut no go.

4. Aug 6, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    SupraT

SupraT Tacoma Lover

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Columbia Falls
    Vehicle:
    98 TRD SR5 4x4
    3" Lift Three leaf add and Bilstin 5100"s in back and Donahoe coilovers in front, Tinted Windows, Blackened parking light, tinted brake lights, clear bumper lights, Blacked out turn signals, AVS vent visors, Electric Fan mod, K&N CAI

So you cleaned your MAF?

5. Aug 6, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    Try unplugging the battery for a while. I forget the amount of time required to clear the computer memory, but that significantly changed my idle once. Make sure to write down your trip distances (if it matters) before hand, because they will be cleared.

6. Aug 6, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    mcguire

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma
    Yah i cleaned the MAF and had the battery unplugged while doing so. It idled high after cleaning it and is back to normal now. But the rough idle when starting started before i cleaned the MAF

7. Aug 6, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    SupraT

SupraT Tacoma Lover

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Columbia Falls
    Vehicle:
    98 TRD SR5 4x4
    3" Lift Three leaf add and Bilstin 5100"s in back and Donahoe coilovers in front, Tinted Windows, Blackened parking light, tinted brake lights, clear bumper lights, Blacked out turn signals, AVS vent visors, Electric Fan mod, K&N CAI

I know my truck ran a little funny after I cleaned mine but if it was doing it before then:confused:

8. Aug 8, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    hayabusa3303

hayabusa3303 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    florence sc
    Vehicle:
    95.5 taco 4x4
    ARB bumper, warn 9.5 winch. carbon fiber hood. Leer top with thule racks and MOAB from thule. Electric fans, blue sea fuse block, Sony dvd Head unit, Xm tuner and HD tuner. New carpet and new racing seats. ( other half doesnt like them i think). Nwor springs and adjustable coil overs. Sky jacker rear shocks. Slot and drilled rotors. Engine Titanium ceramic coated headers, no cat, jba cat back. URD Rear Sensor Simulator. Leds all around and inside cab and HID H4 hi/lo beams.
    Check your idle control valve under the throttle body. I bet its got enough carbon in it to keep it from moving and or it has gone bad.

9. Aug 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    mcguire

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma
    ok thanks! il give that a go!

10. May 12, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    jolie_4

jolie_4 Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    09 Toyota Tacoma Sport
    2 inch lift, chrome mirrors and doors, chrome nerf bars, chrome bull bar, rocker panels, chrome base grill (instead of white), 265/70/17 Toyo M/T, rain visors, chrome and black rims
    Any chance you figured out your issue. I'm having really bad cold idling issues. When I start the truck it revs up for a few seconds then starts to kind of die down, spits a little, almost dies and then revs back up but it actually dies sometimes. It seems to be getting worse and dies more often but it's usually only when it's cold. My pickup is actually in the shop right now but this is the third time and they can't seem to find the problem. I've changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, cleaned the MAF, changed the PCV Valve and just recently replaced the throttle postion sensor because the mechanic told me that was the problem but it didn't fix it. They said they checked the ignition coil, plugs, rotor and cap, ect... Wondering if you figured yours out. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top