1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough terrain thumping sound in cold weather

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PA452, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Feb 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Anyone get a thumping sound when hitting any bumps in the road when it is really cold? It almost sounds like a bad strut on a car. I just noticed it today/tonight, haven't noticed it at all previously this winter. Don't remember if I ever had the same thing in previous winters.

I'm thinking and hoping it's just ice build-up underneath causing the noise. Unfortunately I don't think we're going to have above freezing temps for a while now, and my truck lives outside, so it might be a while before I know for sure.

2. Feb 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    SLDMTN

SLDMTN New Member

Member:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma DCLB
    I think we have the same problem. When it's cold and I'm driving down a rough road I can feel every bump right at my feet. I was thinking the truck had a ball joint going out so I took it to the car wash and sprayed it really well up in the fenders and around the suspension. The problem seemed to just go away. I'm still a little puzzled by it but it just seemed to be a combination of snow/ice buildup and a cold spell after that. There could be an underlying issue that is brought out by the combo but for now mine is working fine. Are you running stock suspension or any type of lift?

3. Feb 14, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Stock SR5 suspension and no lifts. In fact, the truck is pretty much all stock.

I was out for a very long drive yesterday, and I didn't really notice the same kind of thumping. It probably wasn't quite as cold. I'm not going to worry about it for now. I guess I'll see if it comes back.

To Top