1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RPM. HANG

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fjrmurph, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    Except the throttle following is not a feature of the manual - the auto does it, too - Put the truck in neutral, throttle it up and watch how slowly it tachs back down.

It's an ECU thing, partly for emissions and partly to control fast changes in pressures.

I agree that it takes some getting used to, but it's sort of the way of the future - my co-worker's 2010 Honda does the same thing. On the plus side, it makes clutchless up-shifting a breeze.

2. Feb 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    I know what causes the throttle hang. The point is that it's only a serious issue with a manual transmission.

3. Feb 13, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    all my other vehicles have been manuals, I even had an 08 taco which was stick. I was going to get another one in stick, but as soon as I drove out of the lot to test drive it, I realized they made the issues I had with the 08 much much worse on the 2010's. It was the deciding factor in my buying my first auto in 17 years...It totally ruins the driving experience IMHO...such a shame since the 08 was still fun even with the lesser version of this problem...

4. Feb 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM
    HumboldtReign

HumboldtReign Where the Grass is Green

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    You're right. I put my foot in my mouth. While i dont use my truck as a tool as much as the next guy, i still notice what you are talking about. i suppose i always knew there was something amiss but just couldnt put my finger on it, guess im the inexperienced one. ive just become used to it now even tho the truck is still new to me, but i see what you mean with the RPM hang. oh well, id still drive it over an automatic.

5. Apr 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    snowrx

snowrx Active Member

Member:
    Priest Lake
    Vehicle:
    '13 Blue Off Road V6 6Spd
    H4 H9 bulbs,Hidden Warn M8000, Bed & hood lights, clock panel voltmeter,
    The throttle hang/overun is still there on my 2013. The last time I had this annoyance was with the Dash Pots in the '70's vacuum controlled emissions carbs. This is progress? I would prefer a drive train that didn't make me sound like a Drivers Ed refugee revving into my poor clutch.

Subbing in case someone hacks a cure.

6. Oct 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    BIGGJERRYC

BIGGJERRYC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Lansdale, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road DC 6spd
    Curious if anyone has any info on this. I have been driving only manual vehicles for 7 years and while I love the feel of how this trans goes into gear and such, I absolutely cannot stand the rev hang.

What makes it worse is 1st gear is so short. the rev hang is more noticeable and it is the gear you use every time you start out which is pretty often in my area.

I would also think, wouldn't this put excess wear on the clutch? I know it wouldn't be much but it almost makes it so that you are slipping hte clutch a little bit every time you shift since most drivers don't do the whole let off the gas, then push the clutch, then shift, then let it out. In a non drive by wire car, it is one fluid motion. off the gas and on the clutch. shift, off the clutch and on the gas

7. Oct 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    13TRDsport

13TRDsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    13 Access cab TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525XL, K&N air filter, TRD Shift knob. Bilstein 5100's w\Eibach springs.
    To be honest. I like my 6 speed. Ive been driving a stick for over 12 years and mine shifts good and never grinds. The rev hang I find it not that annoying. When shifting even at a quicker than normal pace, it hasn't every ground or felt clunky. 1st to second gear takes some practice to be smooth but overall it suits my needs :)

8. Oct 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Blacksburg, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    The rev hang is there for emissions purposes. You would have to tune it out. People have had success on the 8th gen Civic Si's by getting a FlashPro and tuning it. This same problem was present in my Tiburon, G35, 2 Civic Si's and my Accord. It wasn't a problem in my 135i and STi which both had aftermarket tunes on them.

9. Jun 12, 2016 at 5:48 PM
    Ryan-4x4

Ryan-4x4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road six speed manual

Products Discussed in

To Top