1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RSI Smart Cap

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by microsnook, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Sep 23, 2020 at 2:51 PM
    e6400ultra

e6400ultra Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR AC 4x4 MT 2.7L
    Look on the bright side, the tailgate spoiler can still do its job.

GladiatorNOT likes this.
  2. Sep 23, 2020 at 3:16 PM
    acupunk

acupunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    I think it's a fair question as far as the length goes.

I won't miss the 4" of extra space on top of my tailgate inside the cap tho. I know how much gear I usually haul and was close to going with a DiamondBack tonneau- but the idea of having just a bit more room to fudge, or throw that extra piece of gear you probably won't need, as well as to shelter up if need be, appealed to me.
    I will say that the modern fiberglass units like you've shown don't appeal to me for a number of reasons. I've had different fiberglass shells on different trucks over the years and prefer the older style without the drip edges. Also- a steel cap has so many advantages- I bought a truck and not a 4 runner for a reason as I wanted a cap I could take on and off easily and leave on the garage floor, maybe even my gravel drive or the forest floor. Leave it there for a week, a month, nothings gonna hurt this thing, it's bomb proof, and weighs less than 180lbs, and being modular you potentially could replace single panels if needed (no idea if this is something RSI would do, but it is possible). Yes you might have to replace the gasket here and there- get a blanket and roll it onto it's back, I won't be getting any cracks in my cap with this one. The RLD is probably even stronger this way, but I like windows, and internal hinges, and I'm not sure the drip edge on that RLD will actually do much to divert water (but yes they did a better job with fit). Magnets go a long way for lighting too, blah blah...

Doesn't change the fact the cap could be longer... but all in all I think the RSI has clear advantages for my purposes. Don't know if I convinced you, but I feel better for having preordered an unseen/ untested product (haha! I told myself I not to be hasty but I didn't listen). But even knowing what I know now it would still be down to RLD or RSI (no more fiberglass) with RSI having the slight edge...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  3. Sep 23, 2020 at 4:06 PM
    GladiatorNOT

GladiatorNOT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Old Man BP51 coilovers Dakar HD leaf springs Icon Delta control arms TRD Pro rims with Kenda Klever RT 33x10.5 tires Exhaust mod TRD front skid, RCI tranny and transfer case skids Southern Style Slimline front bumper Baja Designs S8 bumper light Warn Zeon Platinum 10s winch 4.88 Nitro gears ARB front locking differential ARB twin air compressor X2 Power 27 battery RCI rear bumper with Rigid SRQ lights RCI rock sliders RLD canopy Dometic CFX3 55 refrigerator TRD Pro grill Front & Rear anytime camera Seat Jackers Diode Dynamics Pro fogs
    You can get windows on the RLD (mine is on order)!and the drip edge does keep all water running off the canopy from hitting the bed rails. It looks like the water coming off the RSI cap will run down and right on top of the rails. When this occurs what happens when it freezes? Looks like water can also get under the edge before it hits the gasket. When water gets on the rails and it freezes and expands, can’t this possibly create a problem? I think that’s why all other canopies have a design to keep water from hitting the rails and possibly getting under the edge of the canopy and freeze (also can help to keep water out of the bed). But I could be wrong. Also kind of nice not to have ice build up on the top of the tailgate. If this happens on the RSI which it looks like it will with so much of the top of the tailgate exposed, then how are you going to be able to open the rear door of the cap? I guess if you live where it doesn’t freeze then none of this matters anyways.

As long as your happy with the your canopy that’s all that really matters. There’s pluses and minuses in every design. Was just trying to point out a few things that I saw with the RSI that would be a concern of mine after owning several other brands of canopies.

Peace1 and acupunk[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Sep 23, 2020 at 4:20 PM
    acupunk

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    You're not wrong man- while I didn't have trouble with my older fiberglass caps with no drip edge on the sides, it doesn't mean it won't happen, particularly in more northern states. And the tailgate on this RSI... yup, might be a real problem, wish it was longer. Both RSI and RLD cap latch mechanisms are likely to freeze up too. It does snow and freeze here in the high desert of AZ.
    Ah well...

GladiatorNOT[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 23, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    GladiatorNOT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Old Man BP51 coilovers Dakar HD leaf springs Icon Delta control arms TRD Pro rims with Kenda Klever RT 33x10.5 tires Exhaust mod TRD front skid, RCI tranny and transfer case skids Southern Style Slimline front bumper Baja Designs S8 bumper light Warn Zeon Platinum 10s winch 4.88 Nitro gears ARB front locking differential ARB twin air compressor X2 Power 27 battery RCI rear bumper with Rigid SRQ lights RCI rock sliders RLD canopy Dometic CFX3 55 refrigerator TRD Pro grill Front & Rear anytime camera Seat Jackers Diode Dynamics Pro fogs
    Yeah I had an Alu-Cab before I got the RLD with basically the same latches and did have problems with them. Sprayed my RLD latches when I got them and didn’t have any issues with them this past winter. But good point though. Anyone with an RSI cap that lives anywhere where it freezes should definitely treat your latches with something or there’s a good chance you won’t be opening them come winter.

Peace1 and acupunk[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Sep 23, 2020 at 6:58 PM
    Aaronparker001

Aaronparker001 Just another basic dude in a tacoma

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDOR DCSB MT BLACK
    All canopies have there pros and cons. I think people are mostly happy with what they have but still see some improvements that could be made. I don’t think the RLD owners are going to convert RSi owners or viceversa. Different strokes for different folks. I’m happy to see more competition with these “alternative” canopies. No need for anyone to get offended or defensive. Who wants in on my new canopy line...the Rldsi? :rofl:

Vmax88, Spare Parts and acupunk like this.
  7. Sep 23, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    Aaronparker001

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDOR DCSB MT BLACK
    @GladiatorNOT what did you treat your latches with...asking for a friend lol

LDS 77 likes this.
  8. Sep 23, 2020 at 7:18 PM
    holmeslikesherlock

holmeslikesherlock Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Offroad DCLB
    Thanks Acupunk.... Im right at that height without a dropper so it may work out just fine. Ordered the RSI about an hour ago for a 6'!

9. Sep 23, 2020 at 8:10 PM
    GladiatorNOT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
  10. Sep 25, 2020 at 9:43 AM
    J2K2Tacoma

J2K2Tacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma SR5
    Just got the long bed rsi cap on. Lots to love but I hate that they used the same window for short and long beds.

20200925_084446.jpg
    20200925_084509.jpg
    20200925_084457.jpg

11. Sep 25, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    Aaronparker001

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDOR DCSB MT BLACK
    @J2K2Tacoma it does seem a little odd looking but as long as you’re happy that’s all that matters :thumbsup:

J2K2Tacoma likes this.
  12. Sep 25, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    Pride of Wallingford

Pride of Wallingford Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Grey TRD Off-Road DC LB
    Seems like it fits a little better (more tailgate coverage while being pushed close to the cab) than the short bed version. I don't really care for that rear 3/4 angle but I like it otherwise.

Snag03218Z and Lt. Dangle like this.
  13. Sep 25, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    acupunk

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    @J2K2Tacoma Definitely a better fit then the shortbed- looks good. Really emphasizes how much more room there is in the long bed.

Snag03218Z likes this.
  14. Sep 25, 2020 at 2:23 PM
    e6400ultra

e6400ultra Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR AC 4x4 MT 2.7L
    The long bed version looks great. The doors look fine.

...Man, oh man, do folks like to complain about aesthetics on this forum. :rofl:

MMtacowashington likes this.
  15. Sep 25, 2020 at 3:04 PM
    J2K2Tacoma

J2K2Tacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma SR5
    I agree that it looks great, for me it is more about having more access to the bed. Based on everything I read about the cap I was expecting to have atleast a similar size to the windoors on the ARE or the LEER long bed canopies. Granted I bought having never actually seen a long bed version of the cap, so that is on me.

16. Sep 25, 2020 at 3:07 PM
    Pride of Wallingford

Pride of Wallingford Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Grey TRD Off-Road DC LB
    It’s the same setup they use on the long bed versions already on the market for full size trucks like the F150.

17. Sep 25, 2020 at 3:24 PM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Man those Tradesmans are nice. :anonymous:

[​IMG]

Vmax88, Peace1, 9mmMike and 4 others like this.
  18. Sep 25, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    crashdb

crashdb I break chainsaws

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
    Stupid question: is tradesman the actual model name or?

19. Sep 25, 2020 at 3:40 PM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Hah, not a stupid question. Tradesman is the model name. The company is Access Mfg. Of course their website is http://tradesmantrucktops.com/ just to confuse it even more.

Edit: sorry to derail this thread :rofl:

20. Sep 25, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    crashdb

crashdb I break chainsaws

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Manassas, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Matrix
    Rollin' hydrocarbons!
    Cool. Thanks. Not derailed. I'm cross-shopping.

Products Discussed in

To Top