1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RSI Smart Cap

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by microsnook, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Apr 3, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 - 2.5 & UCAs front, Icon 2.0 rear Icon RTX Stage 2 leafs Icon 700lb springs RSI Smartcap Evo Sport KDMax Pro tune BAMF Hybrid front bumper Warn VR EVO 10s winch ARB Rear Locker Revolution 5.29 regear RCI Engine Skid RCI Trans skid RCI Transfer case skid RCI Diff Skid RCI Cat guards RCI Rock sliders RCI roof rack R4T LCA Skids DRT Fabrication Hitch Skid Exhaust reroute ARB Dual Compressor w/ Slee Mount OR Black Fenders Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights Rigid D-SS Pro Ditch lights Rigid SR Amber PRO Edition 30” light bar Rigid SR-Q floods A/C drain mod Differential Breather Mod Supralee Traction Board mount Liftd Gas cap holder Taco Garage DMM 2.0 Total Chaos bed stiffeners TRD SEMA Pro 17" wheels Falken Wildpeaks 275/70r17 TRD Pro Grill Gecko shell lighting Ecological Bumper shells Fumoto valve Toyota aluminum oil filter cap DesertDoesit Seat Jackers Waterport Day Tank - Rago Fab bed mount Yakima Double Haul OVS 270 Awning Wet Okole seat covers Overland Equipped/Blueseas Bracket/fusebox Toyota OEM tailgate lock Rogue Offroad poly body mount bushings ZPrecision cup holders H9 headlight bulb upgrade Lambtek innovations winch switch
    @OffroadAlliance.com

here’s a thought on one of the issues with the RSi locks.

Washed the truck today and opened up the locks. I was surprised how much standing water was in the latch. There is no way for water to drain out of them, hence the freezing and rust issues people are having. If they put a weep hole in the back it’s going to drain into the shell. Not ideal. If they put a small rubber seal around the latch that could solve the issue.

Might be worth passing on this feed back.

I’m still having water intrusion into the shell but it’s still coming from the front gaps in my bed. Looks like I have to lift the front up again and add some more RTV.

microsnook[OP] and Kingair84 like this.
  2. Apr 3, 2021 at 7:45 PM
    AKseaweed

AKseaweed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD off road
    If I ordered one, let’s say 3/20, should I expect the same time frame? I ordered direct from RSI, paid in full. They’ve really slacked on getting back to me and my inquiries.

3. Apr 4, 2021 at 12:55 PM
    Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flarrrrrrrida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White TRD Offroad 4x4 AC
    Any idea when the tables are shipping?

4. Apr 4, 2021 at 3:49 PM
    Mike's Custom Toys

Mike's Custom Toys Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Grants Pass, OR
    I would not expect anything before June right now.

thebaker likes this.
  5. Apr 4, 2021 at 5:21 PM
    OffroadAlliance.com

OffroadAlliance.com Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    I'll make sure to pass along the notes. We know they're working on updated locks, but we don't have any specifics.

Should have ordered from us! We're here and quick to respond. If you ordered the Sport series the best estimate is August or September. Demand is through the roof and there's just not enough supply. June or July timeframe if you ordered the Adventure.

Depends on when you ordered. April or May is a pretty safe bet.

6. Apr 4, 2021 at 6:28 PM
    PapiTacoma

PapiTacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD 4X4
    I just got mine used for 3k. Love it. No issues so far. Only small problem was the wiring harness. The person that sold it to me didn't give me the splitter so I had to just tap it into my break light and do a good tuck work.

thebaker likes this.
  7. Apr 5, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flarrrrrrrida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White TRD Offroad 4x4 AC
    I ordered back at the end of December. It’s starting to get embarrassing using this janky ass lifetime plastic table like a common poor.

tortoise_taco and AKseaweed like this.
  8. Apr 5, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    cgraydog

cgraydog Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road DCLB
    Update after 3 months of my RSI installed in the PNW:
    -I’d buy it again.
    -My brake harness worked like a champ and was super easy to install.
    -No leaks to speak of. I siliconed the front where everyone recommends.
    -My locks froze twice while skiing. Luckily, I could open my tailgate with the rear window locked!
    -I installed my Rhino Rack Batwing awning on RSI cross bars and like it, but the T-slots on the cross bars didn’t match the mounting hardware from Rhino Rack.
    -Next step is mounting my Max Trax and fuel to the rack, leaving the Prinsu for the kayaks. Like the awning, the mounting hardware for the Rotopax and Max Trax will require some thinking to make it work on the RSI cross bars.

Photo is from a camping/hiking trip on the Olympic Peninsula this weekend.

5CD2433B-7ED3-4CD4-B0E6-73F90C3AC8D6.jpg

9. Apr 5, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    AKseaweed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD off road
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. Apr 5, 2021 at 10:20 AM
    Notcris

Notcris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cristian
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner Lunar Rock Trd Pro 2004 Xtra xab red
    None
    I'm loving mine, thanks offroad alliance great customer service. Wishing the accessories weren't so expensive :(

20210328_133030.jpg

_DogTaco_, Vmax88, ret42 and 3 others like this.
  11. Apr 5, 2021 at 10:23 AM
    PapiTacoma

PapiTacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD 4X4
    Love the taco color! Damn I want those wheels :annoyed:

Notcris[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Apr 5, 2021 at 10:26 AM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 - 2.5 & UCAs front, Icon 2.0 rear Icon RTX Stage 2 leafs Icon 700lb springs RSI Smartcap Evo Sport KDMax Pro tune BAMF Hybrid front bumper Warn VR EVO 10s winch ARB Rear Locker Revolution 5.29 regear RCI Engine Skid RCI Trans skid RCI Transfer case skid RCI Diff Skid RCI Cat guards RCI Rock sliders RCI roof rack R4T LCA Skids DRT Fabrication Hitch Skid Exhaust reroute ARB Dual Compressor w/ Slee Mount OR Black Fenders Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights Rigid D-SS Pro Ditch lights Rigid SR Amber PRO Edition 30” light bar Rigid SR-Q floods A/C drain mod Differential Breather Mod Supralee Traction Board mount Liftd Gas cap holder Taco Garage DMM 2.0 Total Chaos bed stiffeners TRD SEMA Pro 17" wheels Falken Wildpeaks 275/70r17 TRD Pro Grill Gecko shell lighting Ecological Bumper shells Fumoto valve Toyota aluminum oil filter cap DesertDoesit Seat Jackers Waterport Day Tank - Rago Fab bed mount Yakima Double Haul OVS 270 Awning Wet Okole seat covers Overland Equipped/Blueseas Bracket/fusebox Toyota OEM tailgate lock Rogue Offroad poly body mount bushings ZPrecision cup holders H9 headlight bulb upgrade Lambtek innovations winch switch
    @OffroadAlliance.com

Some additional feedback. The load bars don't drain either and need a weephole somewhere. I'm going to drill small holes in the plastic end caps but after washing the truck the other day they were full to the top with water. The end caps had them sealed up and there was little to no drainage.

13. Apr 5, 2021 at 11:37 AM
    AKseaweed

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD off road
    Man, he’s going to be so psyched when he gets it next year!! :rofl:

2A0BC529-D796-4319-B59B-FC672AF19051.jpg

snelson3, dzmconstr and mrtonyd like this.
  14. Apr 5, 2021 at 1:41 PM
    dzmconstr

dzmconstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    I noticed but never thought further...great idea thanks.
    Dzm

15. Apr 6, 2021 at 10:59 AM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Someone talk me out of this idea:

Attaching quickfists to the table mounts in the roof for my shovel and axe. My only concern is adding another way to ensure they don't come loose in an accident.

Vmax88 likes this.
  16. Apr 6, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    minium

minium Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tacoma TRD Off Road
    The included harness is relatively new, only supplied on shipments after the first of the year, so the original owner likely never had a harness.

They weren’t wired correctly anyway.

17. Apr 6, 2021 at 9:20 PM
    Fletcher37

Fletcher37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    How are you guys that are mounting Frontrunner racks and load bars on your RSI caps using for T-bolts? The Frontrunner load bars I got have a plate that is too wide for the RSI track bars.

18. Apr 6, 2021 at 10:16 PM
    OffroadAlliance.com

OffroadAlliance.com Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    FrontRunner has special hardware kits and mounting plates that are compatible with the RSI caps.

19. Apr 7, 2021 at 7:35 AM
    snelson3

snelson3 Member

Member:
    Northern Illinois
    So, I ordered the RSI drop rack on March 13th and at the time was told probably 30days lead time. As of today it’s mid-June, maybe. I’m trying to find some alternatives that might be in stock and I like the slimline rack from frontrunner.

Can anyone tell me what actual model they’ve used from Frontrunner or guide me to a post (believe me I searched)?

Is anyone aware of an alternative that might be stocked sooner than mid June?

20. Apr 7, 2021 at 9:15 AM
    Mike's Custom Toys

Mike's Custom Toys Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Grants Pass, OR
    We have square nuts for the rails and bolt down the feet. You should see them tomorrow.

Fletcher37[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top