1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RSI Smart Cap

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by microsnook, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Apr 19, 2021 at 3:36 PM
    OZ TRD

OZ TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Manual TRD PRO - Lunar Rock
    Rek Gens, 265 75 16 Falkens, Cali Raised Sliders, Many interior bits... - Cap for bed in the future?
    Any tips on the bed cap removal? Do they just pop off when pulled?
    I plan to use some sealant to prevent leaks and a bit as bedding compound... Did you do the same with the tailgate plastic cap?

2. Apr 19, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Icon 2.5 & UCAs front, Icon 2.0 rear, Icon RTX leafs RSI Smartcap Evo KDMax 6.0 tune ARB Recovery Point OR Black Fenders Caliraised Hidden Grill light bar Differential Breather Mod Supralee Traction Board mount MESO Gasshole Taco Garage DMM 2.0 Total Chaos bed stiffeners TRD SEMA Pro 17" wheels Falken Wildpeaks 275/70r17 TRD Pro Grill Ecological Bumper shells DesertDoesit Seat Jackers
    It just takes a pull to get them off. Start at the rear and work each clip out going forward.

OZ TRD likes this.
  3. Apr 19, 2021 at 3:56 PM
    justSomeGirl

justSomeGirl Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    I keep going back and forth between getting the EVO Sport or a new Leer cap that's around $800 CAD (~$640 USD) cheaper. I understand that both could have faults, but if both are gonna have faults, maybe the one that's a couple hundred cheaper sounds like the better idea. Does anyone regret getting the SmartCap or even with it's faults, still prefer it over a cheaper fiberglass cap?

SportsmanJake likes this.
  4. Apr 19, 2021 at 5:21 PM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Icon 2.5 & UCAs front, Icon 2.0 rear, Icon RTX leafs RSI Smartcap Evo KDMax 6.0 tune ARB Recovery Point OR Black Fenders Caliraised Hidden Grill light bar Differential Breather Mod Supralee Traction Board mount MESO Gasshole Taco Garage DMM 2.0 Total Chaos bed stiffeners TRD SEMA Pro 17" wheels Falken Wildpeaks 275/70r17 TRD Pro Grill Ecological Bumper shells DesertDoesit Seat Jackers
    I had fiberglass before on my F-250. It cracked in certain places and weighed a ton.

I wouldn't go back to fiberglass especially now that I have a vehicle that I plan to take into the back country to places I couldn't fit my F-250 in. I don't want the flex of the fiberglass and the cracking that ensues.

The gullwing side windows are the best thing about the RSi. I camped this last weekend and being able to access the entire bed without climbing in and out of the bed is awesome. I know you can get a fiberglass shell with the side windows but the options are more limited, the side windows are usually much smaller and I never liked the look of them as much.

I've only had mine on for a month and a half and it's a relatively new product so I may have a completely different take on it after a year and I get a chance to see how it really holds up.

justSomeGirl likes this.
  5. Apr 19, 2021 at 7:07 PM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    Yes, i just started putting from the rear and work my way forward. Came out super easy.

I used high density weather striping under the bed caps and ran a bead of chauking where the composite bed meets the bed cap (had to remove the rails to do this). I also removed the header rail and ran wearher stripping un that as well. I used butyl tape to fill in the gaps between the header rail and front besides.

I used a tailgate seal to seal the sides of the tailgate and had enough left over that i ran it across the bottom of the tailgate also. I still need to run some butyl tape on the lower edges by the tailgate where my bedside supports are.

I realize it will never be totally water tight but hoping to keep most of the wayer and dust out.

20210418_191833.jpg
    20210418_191840.jpg
    20210418_191845.jpg

6. Apr 19, 2021 at 7:32 PM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    One thing to consider is the freezing issues people have talked about. I see you're talking about (CAD) so I'm assuming you live up north. I haven't had the issue of freezing since I left Edmonton and now live in San Diego. The new latches that RSi is potentially changing them to may not have this issue.

justSomeGirl likes this.
  7. Apr 19, 2021 at 7:42 PM
    justSomeGirl

justSomeGirl Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    Oh that's a good thing to consider, thanks! I live in BC so I'll definitely be seeing a lot of rain and snow. I did hear about the new latches that RSI was coming up with! That would've been something I would need to get because I plan to camp out of the truck bed, and I'm hearing that you're unable to lock/unlock the latches from the inside. If I do get the EVO Sport, hopefully by the time the temperatures drop below freezing the new latches would be here.

8. Apr 20, 2021 at 5:52 AM
    ret42

ret42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Cement 2021 TRD OR 6MT
    I've never had a fiberglass cap, just this, though I did get quotes from the main manufacturers. What I found was in order to get similarly spec'd caps from fiberglass manufacturers, I would have saved around $200-600 (pre taxes), but waited 8-12 weeks (quoted, so it would have likely been longer). With an RSI, I would have paid slightly more, but gotten it in a week or two shipped straight to my door rather than waiting 3 months and saving a few bucks. As they say, time is money, and I loathe having money tied up for a product I don't yet possess. Granted, this isn't really the case anymore as SmartCaps are back ordered until I think I saw August?

All that said, the only real annoyance I have is increased road noise - I think the positive pressure vent is whistling. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this. I may be unique in experiencing this as a "problem" because I do not have any roof racks, either on the cap or roof itself.

I am concerned about the latches rusting as I mentioned in a previous post. I would suggest that if the latches freezing/rusting or being accessible from the inside are a priority to you, either wait until they release the new latches to purchase your cap, or accept that you may have to purchase them separately and feel comfortable replacing them yourself. Having worked in product development, the marketing timeline is rarely the engineering/manufacturing timeline so if they are estimating end of year, it could very realistically end up being this time next year before they become available. I say this based on my experience, not a statement of RSI. They may be more on the ball than companies I've worked for.

justSomeGirl likes this.
  9. Apr 20, 2021 at 6:32 AM
    rickc5

rickc5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Whitewater, CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
    none
    I've owned several fiberglass caps over the years, and while cheaper, they all seem to leak a lot, and parts/pieces do not seem to fit well--like they were assembled by folks on drugs. Trying to get theses problems addressed has always been a PITA for me too. OTOH, the SmartCap seems to leak much less, and everything fits perfectly. The windows all seal tightly. But that's just my opinion, FWIW. I also like the looks of the SmartCap over the SUV-look of the fiberglass caps.

microsnook [OP] and justSomeGirl like this.
  10. Apr 20, 2021 at 1:09 PM
    justSomeGirl

justSomeGirl Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    I was looking around for any long term reviews of the cap and I found the following video. It seems like rust may start to appear on the outside walls of the cap, and some others on the video are commenting that they're also seeing rust and corrosion.
    https://youtu.be/M2txdQ6HbSA?t=443

Sickoreo and ret42 like this.
  11. Apr 20, 2021 at 1:55 PM
    ret42

ret42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Cement 2021 TRD OR 6MT
    I remember watching this now. It was the only video I could find of someone who had owned one for a while. I avoid YouTube comments like the plague so I did not notice those, however.

That is a peculiar place to rust, and I would think regular washing and waxing would do enough to deter that. I am far more concerned with the springs and locks in the latches - mostly the locks.

justSomeGirl likes this.
  12. Apr 20, 2021 at 2:15 PM
    microsnook

microsnook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR MGM MT
    Here is my progress sealing up the truck bed while the cap is removed:
    I siliconed each corner where the cap meets at each panel, because the rear was leaking, as well as the front now. So I preemptively did all 4.
    This photo shows the plastic rails, which I ran a bead of silicone underneath from the front all the way down the back.
    The Butyl tape is interesting, my first time using it. After removing the front bar and then the plastic fill pieces, I cleaned everything and went to town with butyl in the corners. I then reinstalled the plastic caps (that came with my tonneau) and then filled around them again with more tape.
    Then I ran a bead of silicone underneath the front bar and reinstalled it.
    I used the tape again in the rear of the bed, near where the tailgate meets. I shoved the BT inside of the gaps and then covered it with the waterproof tape.
    Inside view of the corners
    I also ran some silicone right by the BT in the corners because the front bar had these tiny lines in them and I wanted those to be sealed up as well.

I think I have sealed most of the holes and have a good idea of where the water was leaking in from. Before I reinstalled my RSI cap, I wanted to see if there were any other suggestions.... Thanks

EDIT: should I run silicone on the INSIDE of the bed where the mounting rails are(the rails used to tie things down) do these leak at all? Mine have a bunch of tiny rocks in them, I think from the leaks from the tops of the plastic bed rail covers, but wanted to be sure. I can always do this while the cap is installed. But might even be easier to do if I removed those accessory rails and cleaned and then sealed them. But this might be overkill...

BudFriendguy and Sickoreo like this.
  13. Apr 20, 2021 at 2:18 PM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    what made you decide to leave the tonneau cover attachment points on there? they look like they would get annoying.

14. Apr 20, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    microsnook

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR MGM MT
    You know, I asked someone (forget who, maybe the RSI rep) and they suggested to just leave them. I also wanted to have the option to use the cover if I ever wanted to change my set up. They really aren't in the way at all. But not as clean looking as it could be.

mrtonyd likes this.
  15. Apr 20, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    Sickoreo

Sickoreo Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner SR5 V6; 2021 DCSB OR
    Plasti Dip grill & Rear trim, AFE Stage 2 CAI, OPOR Rock Sliders, Toytec BOSS lift
    Love the write up and appreciate the photos to go with it. What silicone seal did you use?

Looking forward to a follow up after you re-install the cap.

microsnook [OP] likes this.
  16. Apr 20, 2021 at 2:45 PM
    microsnook

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD OR MGM MT
    I thought those would help. Even myself to make sure I am not missing anything.
    I used this stuff called Lexcell. Its like a clear silicone type thing. I heard its better.
    I am getting anxious to get the cap reinstalled and water tested! I will update when I do. Until then, waiting to hear from any other members if I missed anything.

Here are some quotes from two other threads that I followed to seal the bed:
    "Here's what I did, in order of importance/priority. There are separate threads on TW describing each step.
    1) seal the huge gaps at the top-front of the bed, where the side rails meets the front rail. Use putty (black putty or RV style putty tape)
    2) seal underneath the black plastic side bedrail caps. Use silicon sealer or something better (I used Geocel Proflex) The caps need to be removed. The sealer is applied to the metal side.
    3) seal the gaps in the plastic bed near the tailgate. I used RV putty tape.
    4) use weatherstripping to seal the tailgate itself (there are kits you can buy for $20-30)
    5) hope your canopy doesn't leak."
    "100XR? Been there, done that. May god have mercy on your soul.

0. Use a butyl-based sealant, such as asphalt or roof sealant. Available at Home Depot and very cheap.
    1. Take off the front header rail. Pop out the rubber caps on both ends, seal them, then run bead of sealant UNDER the rail, then mount the rail back into original position.
    2. Fill the gaps on both ends of the rail as much as you can. In fact, overfill them to the sealant is a bit higher than the adjacent rail.
    3. If your cap will have a front removable window, it'll leak around the perimeter of the window.
    3.1. If the front window also has a slider, it'll leak in the slider.
    4. If your cap has windoors, they will leak around the perimeter.
    4.1. If your windoors are sliding variety, they will leak at the slider.
    4.2. Can you guess what the locks on your windoors will do? If you guessed "leak," you're a winner!
    5. Before installing the Leer canopy, take off your bedside caps (plastic ones along the top of the bed sides) and apply sealant underneath them. Also consider adding some thin (1/8") weatherproofing to act as padding between the cap and the bed, otherwise the cap will scratch the paint underneath it once the canopy is on.

Fuckin' enjoy."

Standing By

ret42 and Sickoreo like this.
  17. Apr 20, 2021 at 5:22 PM
    dzmconstr

dzmconstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    So ya live in Canada A? What part? Worst part of RSI so Ive heard is freezing locks/handles. Don't recall that on windoors. I love the cap, but there are definitely shortcomings that need to be considered, weight diff is only like 200lbs.
    Dzm

18. Apr 20, 2021 at 8:50 PM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    Just finished installing my lights in my canopy. I used a deustch plug for lights just in case i needed to take the canopy off. Ran the power wire through an existing whole with the 3rd brake light wire.

20210420_161845.jpg
    20210420_193741.jpg
    20210420_194124.jpg
    20210420_194128.jpg
    20210420_193850.jpg
    20210420_193925.jpg

19. Apr 21, 2021 at 9:57 AM
    justSomeGirl

justSomeGirl Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lily
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR AC
    Yup, I live in Vancouver! What are some shortcomings you've experienced with the cap?

20. Apr 21, 2021 at 12:26 PM
    DirtneckBill_CO

DirtneckBill_CO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Tacoma TRD Off-road Access
    What’d you use to secure your LED light wires. In need of something to secure to the cap without drilling.

To Top