1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rubbing (bad bearing) noise

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by B727Doctor, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Jan 14, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    B727Doctor

B727Doctor [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada (NB)
    Vehicle:
    07 Double cab
    3" leveling kit (removed) Rear air bags(Air Lift) Borla Exhaust/Air filter Oversize Pirelly Scorpion (10 ply) Custom paint on OEM wheels Husky liners Westin Bull Bar (black) Electric trailler brake controler many more...
    Hi all,
    I recently installed a spacer(leveling) kit in the front and since, my truck got this wierd noise coming from the front, this noise seams to be more noticable beteween 30 and 50 miles per hour. If I switch it in 4x4 it goes away. My dealer has no ideal what is going on and they also had this problem before and disapear as soon as they removed the spacers. I have air lift for the rear to keap things level, pls can someone help?

2. Jan 15, 2009 at 3:26 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    How many inches lift is it?

Did you have an allignment done after the lift?

What kind (brand) lift is it? Are you running the original shocks/struts?

I would jack up the front end. Crawl around underneath and look around at stuff, paticularly the front diff & axle shafts, front drive shaft. Spin the front wheels by hand and listen/feel. Have someone else spin the wheel by hand while you look around underneath at the diff/shafts etc.

Look at your CV boots and the driveshaft angles....

Depending on how LARGE the lift/leveing kit is, this can put a lot of pressure on the CV angles.

Got any pictures?

3. Jan 15, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    What she said.

Also, when do you hear the noise?

4. Jan 15, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    B727Doctor

B727Doctor [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada (NB)
    Vehicle:
    07 Double cab
    3" leveling kit (removed) Rear air bags(Air Lift) Borla Exhaust/Air filter Oversize Pirelly Scorpion (10 ply) Custom paint on OEM wheels Husky liners Westin Bull Bar (black) Electric trailler brake controler many more...
    It is a 3" leveling kit spacers, not sure of the brand.
    Yes, I got the allignement adjusted.
    Last week I lifted the truck on a hoist and check everything, both wheels turning on and off the 4x4. My body had a probe to check for bad bearing and noises and we were not able to find it. I dont have pictures cause it doesn't look god now, lifted with 16'' winter tires actually funny looking. I got the dealer(budy) to remove the spacer until I can figure out what is going on or somebody had the same problem. the noise started as soon that the kit was installed about 6 months ago and is getting worse, that's why it is being removed tomorow. It is getting expensive for the allignements.
    Thanks, for the help

5. Jan 15, 2009 at 2:34 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    well i got the same thing.i put the 3'' lift on mine,every body on this site says NOT to do the spacer in the front because it puts to much stress on your front end.wish i would of found this site before i did mine.but as soon as my parts come in it will be off(the spacer).i ordered fox c/o with new uca to hopefully get rid of this issue.the one member (snowboarder) has somewhat of a fix,havent tried it yet.send him a pm and im sure he will get back to u.ive had mine on for 2 wks now and still not worse or better.i hated to spend the money right now but i dont like my stuff be messed up because of being to cheap and i think highly of my truck.you know what i mean.well best of luck to ya because i know my fingers r crossed for my issues.

6. Jan 18, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    If you ganna do a 3", you gotta do a diff. drop in the front, if 4x4. So that you get the angle of your joints down, so that you dont have issues. I had the same thing going on with my truck, After the diff. drop it went away somewhat, but every now and then mostly around 40-45 mph I feel the rubbing in the floor board. But the diff. drop will def. help.

Products Discussed in

To Top