1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rubbing issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tap08taco, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    tap08taco

tap08taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    I have an 08 tacoma 4x4 with a newly added 2.5in bilstien strut lift on the front. Cooper stt 285 75 16 on factory 16x7 wheels. I have a nice rub against my upper control arms only when I turn sharp to park. My question is what size wheels can I buy to prevent this? Will a negative offset help this? and how much width (16x8 or 16x9) could I go with?

2. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    you need wheel spacers or wheels with 4.5 inch backspacing

3. Feb 27, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    there are a lot of answers to this question.

Most truck and suv style wheels are measured in back spacing thats the distance from the wheel mounting surface to the edge of the wheel. there is some debate but either 4.25 or 4.5 inches is considered to be ideal. offset is measured from the center of the wheel, if measurements are given this way backspace should be reverse calculated (it will change dependent upon the wheel width.

an 8 or 9 inch wheel will work well with that size tire with the correct backspacing do not go over the 9 inch wheel or you will be able to "curb the wheels" the wheels will be higher then the curb but its still called that if u hit a stump offroad.

less backspacing will stick the wheel out farther and in a since make a more sweeping motion when you turn, this will move the tire into the body mount more when you turn. so with the new wheels a body mount trim will most likely be needed.

good luck with it.

4. Feb 27, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    85yote09taco

85yote09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
    I would try to get your backspacing right, however you may have to look into after market upper control arms.

5. Feb 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    tap08taco

tap08taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    That's exactly what I needed to know! Thanks alot guys

To Top