1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rumble strip feeling...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CollegeKevin, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 21, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    CollegeKevin

CollegeKevin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Long Island
    I've done quiet a bit of reading on this issue and there are numerous complaints about having a rumble strip feeling while hitting speeds of around 38MPH. I've read fixes from replacing wheel bearings, to drive shaft hanger bearing, to replacing the torque converter.

In the past month I have replaced the drive shaft hanger bearing, the rear 3rd member, both front wheel bearings, new tires, alignment, and checked for any excessive play in the transmission mounts. I still get that rumble strip feeling at around 38MPH along with the axle wrap clunk when making a stop.

Little unhappy about this but I figured I would make a post of the things that I have replaced which did not fix the problem to maybe eliminate some trial and error on other peoples behalf.

BTW I drive a 2007 Tacoma access cab with the TRD Off Road and Tow Package. The next thing I will do is replace the tranny fluid as it probably needs to be done anyways. :rolleyes:

2. Mar 22, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    How many miles are on your truck? I bought my 06 with 146,000 on it and it was doing the same thing. Only did it going up at least a slight incline at below 2,000 rpm when the torque converter tried to lock up. Anything over 2,000 I have no vibes. I did the 3 quart transmission fluid drain and refill using Toyota ATF and it completely went away for 2 weeks. Then it came back. My next attempt is going to be a complete flush to get all of the fluid changed (11+ quarts).

3. Mar 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    buck

buck the-eh-team.com

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 DC V6 4x4 TRD Indigo Ink
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    I had the 'ole rumble strip at speed. Hope yours is something more basic.

Dealer said the rear diff was a little noisy when up on the hoist. They opened it up and pinion gear had signs of wear.

New diff, no more vibes!... but my poor wallet took a good beating. :(

4. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Is the drive shaft in phase? Have you had it balanced. Seems to me like you hit the $$$$ side of the problem before you did the $ side :/

5. Mar 22, 2012 at 11:12 AM
    lundy

lundy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBLC 4x4 Off Road
  6. Mar 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    CollegeKevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Long Island
    Ive done this in the hopes of a sorta easy fix but no, still have rumble strips. I was going to bring it to Toyota to have the tranny flushed but they said they dont do that service anymore. $10 a quart for Toyota ATF by the time Im done flushing Ill be in $140 in fluid alone :(

7. Mar 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    CollegeKevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Long Island
    Im not blaming the rumble feeling on axle wrap. Just saying I also have the stop and bump also. You mean grease the slip yoke that goes into the trans? Wont fluid come out of the trans when pulling the yoke out?

8. Mar 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    CollegeKevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Long Island
    No the problems I fixed were problems that had to be repaired. I just wanted to eliminate them from the guessing game of where the rumble strip feeling comes from.

In phase... You mean where the driveshaft is bolted to the rear end. Like the correct bolt holes? I have not had the driveshaft balanced.

9. Mar 23, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    CollegeKevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Long Island
    This is what I am going to have to do. I have 135k on it. I bought it about 1k miles ago and have been replacing one thing at a time. Truck was abused but I got a killer deal on it so I guess I cant really be that pissed :eek:

10. Mar 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    lundy

lundy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBLC 4x4 Off Road
    Yeah, I still have the rumble at 5-25mph. It sucks. I hate my Tacoma. It's been nothing but problems since I've got it. Mine's only a 2010 with 30k

11. Mar 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    CollegeKevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Long Island
    Thats crazy. I would never accept the answer from a Toyota Tech that this noise is normal. If it didnt do it when you first bought it and drove it out of the dealership; then it shouldnt be doing it now.

12. Mar 24, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    lundy

lundy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBLC 4x4 Off Road
    I'm gonna go to a different dealer an hour away to see if they can fix it. Ever since I bought it I spend a lot of time at the dealerships. I'm ready to trade it in though.

13. Nov 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    CollegeKevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Long Island
    So my problem is still happening. I decided to call Toyota 2 weeks ago (the same place I called about a transmission flush the first time) and they told me they do a transmission flush for $200 :rolleyes: They told me though that because of my mileage (145k) that I could be opening up a can of worms if I go through with the flush. I've put up with it this long but I don't like when something I own isn't working the way it should. I've been planning on putting money into the truck with a lift and a couple other things but this shudder is holding me back. I'm now debating on swapping out the tranny for a tranny from a wrecked tacoma or just selling the truck and buying a newer one. I could start with the flush but dealerships sorta scare me when they start working on vehicles. :rolleyes: I guess I'm seeing if anyone has actually solved this problem. All posts that I have read in the past have not been recently updated so I figured I'd give this a bump.

14. Nov 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    landphil

landphil Wishin' I was Fishin'

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Here's what I'd do in your case. Pull the rear driveshaft completely out, both at the transfer case, and rear diff, then put in 4hi and go for a drive, carefully, of course, and don't drive it hard. Do it on a dry day with good traction. Since you have an auto, don't trust "Park" with the rear shaft removed, use the park brake.

See what, if anything, changes with the rear drivetrain out of the picture.

Also, does manually downshifting your transmission at +-38MPH change the shudder / vibration when the speed and load is maintained?

15. Nov 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I'd be changing out the drive shaft center bearing. Grab it and see if there is more than a fair amount of play in it. If there is, get rid of it.

:pccoffee:

16. Nov 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    landphil

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    He did that already, see post #1.:gossip::annoyed:

17. Nov 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    CollegeKevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Long Island
    Removing the driveshaft does sound like a good idea to eliminate any rotating mass vibrations.

To answer your question tho, if I drive with the transmission manually in the 4th gear position, there are no vibrations at all. All gears shift smoothly. I have noticed that if I am in OD and shift into 4th while moving, the rpms jump up a little (sorta like different shift points from manual 4th to OD).

18. Nov 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM
    CollegeKevin

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Long Island
    To add to the problem, while in OD I am also now getting a vibration at a lower speed before shifting. Maybe 3rd to 4th. I will make better note of the speeds tomorrow on my way to work. Maybe take video. Should be noticeable in a video.

19. Nov 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Video is good.

20. Nov 4, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    landphil

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    The fact that it clears up completely in 4th ( if I'm understandy correctly ) points to something transmission or torque converter related, unless of course its engine related as in a partial misfire. Plugs are new since you bought the truck??

To Top